Renewing car tax disc

hitthegroundrunning

Hi all,

In Bangkok all I had to do to renew my tax disc was to go to this one stop shop where they tested the car and then issued the disc. Went to a place in Phuket and they asked for government insurance? I have private car insurance but apparently I needed the former.

I'd there any place in Phuket where I can renew my car tax that doesn't need this seemingly pointless document?

Thanks,

HTGR 

Nope it's a requirement to show the government insurance, I also have First class insurance, and every time we renew the Tax we have to show that we also paid the Government Insurance before receiving the new Tax disc.

When we renew the 1st Class Insurance we always say to the Insurance also renew the Government Insurance.

Price was something like 9xx THB.

By Government Insurance they mean the compulsory insurance, known by Thais as Por Ror Bor. You should receive two cover notes when you buy insurance, one being for this compulsory insurance.

Check your documents and if you don't have it check with the insurance company whether you have actually purchased this. You should have, if not you are driving illegally, despite any other insurance you may have.

You can buy it at the main car licensing building in Phuket Town if you find you don't have it and need to tax you car quickly.

You say you went to a 'one stop shop'. I assume that was a test place where they asked if you wanted them to get the tax sticker (for a handling fee). They would need proof of compulsory insurance which is narrow tear off at the bottom of one of your insurance policy papers.  If you have full insurance then you will have paid for this governement policy. Check you policies. Get the tear off and go back to the same place or go direct to the Phuket DVLC with book, test certificate, proof of insuance, and get the disc direct yourself..  

9 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

You say you went to a 'one stop shop'. I assume that was a test place where they asked if you wanted them to get the tax sticker (for a handling fee). They would need proof of compulsory insurance which is narrow tear off at the bottom of one of your insurance policy papers.  If you have full insurance then you will have paid for this governement policy. Check you policies. Get the tear off and go back to the same place or go direct to the Phuket DVLC with book, test certificate, proof of insuance, and get the disc direct yourself..  

My BOLD.

Not necessarily, my Class-1 insurance certificate specifically states that the compulsory insurance is NOT included.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

My BOLD.

Not necessarily, my Class-1 insurance certificate specifically states that the compulsory insurance is NOT included.

I find that surprsing Crossy .... we have had 1st class insurance on our 2 cars for years and  our insurance companies (AXA and MSIG) have always charged us for 2 policies each car. The Gov part is small money .... just checked one of our policies = 645 baht

17 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I find that surprsing Crossy .... we have had 1st class insurance on our 2 cars for years and  our insurance companies (AXA and MSIG) have always charged us for 2 policies each car. The Gov part is small money .... just checked one of our policies = 645 baht

Yeah, we always used to get two policies, but starting a couple of years back we get only one (Samaggi Insurance).

I just buy the compulsory when we do the tax after getting the joke of an "MOT" test. The one place sells everything.

How old is the car? After a certain age you need a test certificate as well. There's a place about 100m North of the traffic lights near the PLTO that can do it. They take the tear off strip from the bottom of your insurance policy and clip it to their certificate- cost B200. Take the paperwork, ins policy and blue book back to the PLTO, get a ticket and you'll be through quite quickly depending on the queue (you get a ticket as you go in the door)

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Car needs test certificate after 7 years old, m/bike after 5 years old.

Are you sure it's 7 for a car ? I always thought it was 5 same as for a m/bike ?

Or am I confused with First Class insurance which is max 5 years? (Can have longer but with some restrictions)

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

Are you sure it's 7 for a car ? I always thought it was 5 same as for a m/bike ?

Or am I confused with First Class insurance which is max 5 years? (Can have longer but with some restrictions)

Yes I am sure it's 7 years. As for 1st class insurance, usually only cover for 10 years, thereafter only a more restrictive policy available, but depends on insurance company. I do know AXA stops after 10 years.

O.k., so when I renewed my private insurance, the government insurance didn't. It seems my insurance company didn't do that by default. 

Got it today, took ten mins at local insurance office, then went to a place near entrance to Rang Hill to get disc. Paid for it there, then went to Tor ror or mechanic for a check up. Collecting tax disc next week.

BUT got busted by the cops on the way!! Bugger. 1000 baht fine. Ah well. 

Cheers all. 

3 minutes ago, Davehappen said:

I was under the impression the the government tax is recorded in the back of the blue book?

It is but before they do that they need proof of insurance.

To get this you can buy the insurance from an insurance company and wait or you can pay a testing place to buy the insurance for you and go to the transportoffice for a fee of about 100 baht. If you do not buy the insurance from them it will probably be 200 baht but they will need the insurance paper.

On Friday, August 05, 2016 at 0:06 PM, LivinginKata said:

Yes I am sure it's 7 years. As for 1st class insurance, usually only cover for 10 years, thereafter only a more restrictive policy available, but depends on insurance company. I do know AXA stops after 10 years.

Weird. AIG refused 1st class on my 10 year old pickup. AXA offered it and I took it.

35 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

At least 30 days for sure,I've read it's a lot more days than that, like 60 or even 90 days. But can't confirm.

Thanks LiK that's good. 30 days are enough. So i can renew before i go on tour.

Archived