China Z Visa

Hi I've read the threads about how difficult it can be applying for a China visa in Bangkok.

I'm about to apply for a Z visa, basically for entry to work in China, in Guangdong province. My sources tell me this is the strictest in terms of visa, for instance you cannot enter on a F Visa and then go to Hong Kong to convert it into a Z, but you have to return to your home country.

In my case returning to my home country would mean a first trip home to the UK in 7 years. I no longer have an address there, doubt whether I have a bank account with little more than a fiver in it, basically I have nothing that roots me there these days other than my passport. I understand people say it is far easier to go home and do this than to apply in BKK but I am finding it difficult to get my head around showing up at the consulate in Manchester and submitting everything on the basis of living here for the last eight years : my address, my health check, everything.

I'm happy to do this but as I say I fear the consulate might say: you need to go back to Thailand young man and sort it out there. 

Any one got any information or able to offer an opinion?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.  I have never had any problems getting numerous visas fom Chinese Embassy in BKK .. just supply what they want. Re the Z visa. It is possible to get the initial Z visa without returning to your home country given you can show you have been living and working in  Thailand for a while. In the past, admittedly some years ago now I got one from the BKK Chinese Embassy on that basis.  .But right now a colleague is getting one from another country ( not Thailand) without going home and he has only been there less than a year!!, So it is still possible.The invitation letter from China employer must indicate the Embassy location that you will apply . Good luck with it. IF you do have to go back maybe an agent can do it and save you the trip? not sure if that possible but maybe..I suggest you take whatever u can to show that Thailand has been basically your home country for past 8 years along with the invitation letter and see how you go. Cheers

Because of their contacts at the Embassies, CTS Travel was able to clear most hurdles in getting my visas in Seoul- even during the 2008 Olympic visa debacle, and they were also great about telling me when the winds weren't right for getting what I wanted and pointing me to what I could get.

They have a Bangkok branch, and that's the first place I'd start if I had a challenging China visa situation.  They'll help you get all the documents you'll need lined up.

http://www.ctshk.com/english/aboutus/oversea.htm