Which visa for mother in law???

Hi,

I'm currently here on a non-immigrant b extension and have a work permit. My wife and kids are all on non-immigrant o extensions as my dependents. Next year my wife is wanting to go back to work and we were hoping to bring her mum over to help with childcare etc. Which visa would be best for her to get??

I know that technically she wouldn't be allowed to be our nanny and get paid for it as she wouldn't have a work permit or be eligible for one so we were originally thinking about a tourist visa with an extension from immigration, then a visa run to get another SETV when that runs out. But that could be a lot of hassle as she doesn't speak English and my wife and I may not always be able to travel with her as we'll be working.

Today my wife was at the Thai embassy in her home country getting a non-im o visa for our child recently born in Thailand and asked about our options. The person there (Thai national) said that maybe she would be eligible for a non-im o visa as my wife's dependent (once she goes back to work and has a non-im b visa) if her place of work writes a letter to say that it would be good for the children to have their grandparent around so they can practice their mother tongue. 

Does anybody have any experience of this situation and what are the chances of her being allowed a non-immigrant o visa? A retirement visa is out of the question as she wouldn't qualify based on the fact that her pension isn't enough.

If you wife gets an extension of stay based upon work her mother can get an extension as her dependent if she is 50 years old or over.

For an option would be a multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months. She would have to apply for it in her home country.

• Your mother in law should be able to get a single entry non immigrant 'O' visa to visit her family. Usually consular services would require a copy of your wife's permission to stay, but it would be worth checking with the Embassy/Consulate as to what they require before applying.
  • Once your wife is working, and has an extension of stay in her own right based on that work, her mother, having entered with a non 'O' visa could apply for an extension of stay as her parent as long as she's over 50. The mothers extension would mirror her daughter in the same way that your families permission to stay mirrors yours.

That's great info. Thanks a lot. A few more quick questions... Would it be possible for my MIL to 'piggy back' on my non-im b extension or can it only be done on my wife's (just in case my wife decides not to go back to work)? 

When my wife applies for a non-im b visa next year, can the application for MIL's non-im o visa be made at the same time or does my wife need the extension of stay first?

Many thanks 

37 minutes ago, bfc1980 said:

That's great info. Thanks a lot. A few more quick questions... Would it be possible for my MIL to 'piggy back' on my non-im b extension or can it only be done on my wife's (just in case my wife decides not to go back to work)? 

When my wife applies for a non-im b visa next year, can the application for MIL's non-im o visa be made at the same time or does my wife need the extension of stay first?

Many thanks 

• Unfortunately MIL's don't count. She would only qualify as a parent which is why your wife would need an extension of stay in her own right.
  • I doubt many visas are issued on this bases, but they should do it at the same time. It would depend on the Embassy/Consulate.