Tesla in Thailand

On 14.10.2016 at 9:55 AM, Brownfox said:

Current import costs on electric cars in Thailand is 80% import tax, 7% VAT on top and both cost of car and transport cost included. That makes a Tesla roughly double the price. An imported ICE car of the same performance characteristics gets slapped with excise duty of about 180% in addition (0% excise on imported electric cars). That is why a Ferrari or high powered vehicle like a crappy Ford Mustang is so expensive in Thailand. I would much rather pay 6-7m for a Tesla than 4m for a much slower and rubbish Mustang 5 liter in Thailand. By comparison to other imported cars, a Tesla makes much more sense in Thailand once a few Superchargers and a service station makes its way here... what are we waiting for!

What are you talking about? Have you ever sat in a Ferrari?
  It can not be compared with the Tesla. The materials are much better.
further you ever drove a Ferrari or Tesla?
  It was not even close. Tesla poorly controlled car that starts to scour the road after 120.
Slap and acceleration to 60-80 km/h.

More then 200 Tesla is not going. after 150 accelerates very slowly.
  if playfully at  ride Tesla, battery life even for 170 km is not enough.

So how you compare super sport car with tesla?

Or even how you compare with US muscle car?

Tesla its nice ( can be family car) car for city. But sure its not one car in the family , its second or even third.

And i talk about model S 75( just one week ago try it)

S p90d ofcouse be faster.

But not sure is it much faster after 120km/h or 150?

6 hours ago, ardokano said:

What are you talking about? Have you ever sat in a Ferrari?
  It can not be compared with the Tesla. The materials are much better.
further you ever drove a Ferrari or Tesla?
  It was not even close. Tesla poorly controlled car that starts to scour the road after 120.
Slap and acceleration to 60-80 km/h.

More then 200 Tesla is not going. after 150 accelerates very slowly.
  if playfully at  ride Tesla, battery life even for 170 km is not enough.

So how you compare super sport car with tesla?

Or even how you compare with US muscle car?

Tesla its nice ( can be family car) car for city. But sure its not one car in the family , its second or even third.

And i talk about model S 75( just one week ago try it)

S p90d ofcouse be faster.

But not sure is it much faster after 120km/h or 150?

7 hours ago, mortenaa said:

ok then

Tesla can go  more than 200 its good news.

Well of course you understand that the measurements should be more under the same conditions.
 And ofcouse handling.. on  tesla 75 its even not mustang although of course the American muscle cars are far from perfect in handling.

in general, what I am talking.
  Tesla wonderful car. I like Tesla and I even want buy it.
  But compare the Tesla and Mustang  or even Ferrari i am sure its not correct..
  Tesla to Ferrari as to the moon.
  starting with small things (did you see plastic on the dashboard Tesla?)
  And the ending of course the most important, namely, handling and dynamics.

You've own M3? Is it?:)
  It seems to me that you will be disappointed if you try Tesla, based on a comparison with the M3.
  but when compared to what some simple good sedan ..
  A storm of emotions and its realy great and DIFFERENT car. I like Tesla.

22 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The Bimmer leave the Tesla in the dust. Much cooler dashboard also.  i8 any day for me.

Just wanted to prove that both cars are fast. i8 rocks! But Tesla is not a slow car at all, actually its pretty fast, also above 150 km/hr.

i8 is too expensive for me. I've seen some in the 8 mill ballpark here. I rather wait for a 2nd hand M2, which is 5.99 brand new :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ardokano said:

ok then

Tesla can go  more than 200 its good news.

Well of course you understand that the measurements should be more under the same conditions.
 And ofcouse handling.. on  tesla 75 its even not mustang although of course the American muscle cars are far from perfect in handling.

in general, what I am talking.
  Tesla wonderful car. I like Tesla and I even want buy it.
  But compare the Tesla and Mustang  or even Ferrari i am sure its not correct..
  Tesla to Ferrari as to the moon.
  starting with small things (did you see plastic on the dashboard Tesla?)
  And the ending of course the most important, namely, handling and dynamics.

You've own M3? Is it?:)
  It seems to me that you will be disappointed if you try Tesla, based on a comparison with the M3.
  but when compared to what some simple good sedan ..
  A storm of emotions and its realy great and DIFFERENT car. I like Tesla.

I tried Teslas, and I have several friends and colleagues that owns one. This is a really popular car in Norway, and I think most people who owns it, loves it a lot. But its definitely not a super car, and shouldn't be compared to one either. When it comes to handling and fun, the M3 is much better. But as a family sedan, the Tesla is awesome. Unfortunately I don't own either. M3 is sold, but a house is under construction. Not a bad trade :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Just wanted to prove that both cars are fast. i8 rocks! But Tesla is not a slow car at all, actually its pretty fast, also above 150 km/hr.

i8 is too expensive for me. I've seen some in the 8 mill ballpark here. I rather wait for a 2nd hand M2, which is 5.99 brand new :)

Its tesla p90d

75d

Not so fast.;)

• 5 months later...

People with big money will want a Tesla for bragging rights......

but  Tesla charging countrywide will not happen   from Tesla at last  ,,,,,the numbers just do not work

But I think you an still charge them slower at a regular electric car charging station.....and for sure at home......

Or maybe Tesla will provide a battery trailer  for a long weekend away from home !

• 1 month later...

I ran into this news about a new joint venture with Tesla in Thailand. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/automobiles/30272850. The news was from 2015

.... it said ...

Navamol Thitiworathat, president and CEO of Tesla Automotive, said the newly formed company is a joint venture between Thai and US investors.

With an investment of Bt5 billion, the company will start importing and offering the Tesla Model S, which will make its Thai debut at the Thailand International Motor Expo next month.   ...
Any thought?
Edited by TheITcar
submit before finishing thought

I have been reading that India are going to make their own electric car and by 2030 70% of the population will be driving them . The cost of the car will be very cheap ,  around $2500 .  

If they can make it work , the pollution will drop like a rocket in the big cities. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Elon Musk is the modern day P.T. Barnum. The man could sell pork sandwiches to muslims.

Have to agree on some of the things he says.........

BUT..........SpaceX  is launching rockets , maybe not with passengers yet ,

Tesla does have 1000s of cars on the road , the new cheaper model will be delayed probably

the battery factory is getting built ,,,,,,slowly.....

umm what else is there....ohh the solar panel company and the home battery pack.....

I am glad he is doing these things ,  I hope they all work out , 

Time will tell......

• Like 1

https://www.wired.com/2016/03/teslas-electric-cars-might-not-green-think/

All electric cars - and hybrids - at this stage of their development are net energy losers - they consume more than they save.

Unless - and until - the governments of the world unite and provide the infrastructure to get costs down, this will remain.

But as governments - or more correctly their campaign costs - are funded by Big Oil, etc this will never happen

9 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

I always wonder about people raving about electric cars, where do they think electricity comes from ??? Mainly burning fossil fuels. So where is this environmental thing coming from ?

we draw all electricity needed in our home from small holes mounted in the walls. :crazy:

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 11:14 AM, TheITcar said:

I ran into this news about a new joint venture with Tesla in Thailand. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/automobiles/30272850. The news was from 2015

.... it said ...

Navamol Thitiworathat, president and CEO of Tesla Automotive, said the newly formed company is a joint venture between Thai and US investors.

With an investment of Bt5 billion, the company will start importing and offering the Tesla Model S, which will make its Thai debut at the Thailand International Motor Expo next month.   ...
Any thought?

It never happened.  This guy apparently thought he could import Teslas on the grey market and then call himself Tesla Thailand.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I drove a Tesla Model X for 5 days last week in Florida and it is an amazing car. The one I drove was a P100D. A 76 year old lady friend loaned it to me. Less than 2 months old. I have never driven anything that is as quick as that car. Not even close. I now believe that electric-powered cars will be in everyones future. I certainly did not think so before driving it. Is it worth the price? (About $150K US) I don't know. But I am very impressed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Issanman said:

I drove a Tesla Model X for 5 days last week in Florida and it is an amazing car. The one I drove was a P100D. A 76 year old lady friend loaned it to me. Less than 2 months old. I have never driven anything that is as quick as that car. Not even close. I now believe that electric-powered cars will be in everyones future. I certainly did not think so before driving it. Is it worth the price? (About $150K US) I don't know. But I am very impressed.

Yes it's great but the design could be better for the price.

You have never driven anything that is as quick as that car. because there is no other car as quick. And no big bike is as quick also.

Driving full electric cars will not really work out here. Usually the range of 400km will drop about 50%, because traffic jams. So you could not even drive Bangkok-Pattaya- Bangkok without recharge it. Even you don't move during traffic jams, the AC has to work all the time and therefore will use electric power. So i guess there is not much future for real electric cars.

• Like 1

Driving full electric cars will not really work out here. Usually the range of 400km will drop about 50%, because traffic jams. So you could not even drive Bangkok-Pattaya- Bangkok without recharge it. Even you don't move during traffic jams, the AC has to work all the time and therefore will use electric power. So i guess there is not much future for real electric cars.

Nonsense, but it depends on where you live . Maybe not practical during the rush hours in central Bangkok, but a car with a battery with a 400km limit will do the job in most areas of Thailand. As long as you can charge it quickly. The technology is getting better every year.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stingray said:

hahaha, you are a funny guy. Do you really think that Elon musk didn't think about all these things ?

And it seems that you also do not know that IN TRAFFIC the new Tesla can do 700 kms without charging.

Funny people on this forum, everyday I know more.

• Like 1