CNN names Bangkok "Number One in the World" for street food

webfact

CNN names Bangkok "Number One in the World" for street food

a1.jpg

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok has been named the number one place on earth to enjoy street food.

The accolade comes from the American news giant CNN in a latest survey. The City of Angels has ousted Tokyo as the best place to enjoy eating out by the roadside, reported Thairath.

The Thai capital beat 22 other cities to the title with CNN saying that no matter what time of the day it was possible to find good value, hearty,  and well prepared meals in Bangkok. 

They singled out the morning treats of Nam Taohoo and lunchtime delight of Khaw Man Kai as real favorites of Thais and tourists alike.

Tokyo still got a special mention for having a huge number of Michelin stars in its fancy restaurants as well as great budget street food.

Rounding out the top ten were the following cities:

3. Honolulu

4. Durban

5. New Orleans

6. Istanbul

7. Honk Kong

8. Paris

9. Cairo

and 10. Marrakech in Morocco.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-10

Everybody has their own opinion, and you are free to express it.

Don't be a sheep and blindly follow CNN's ratings.

Personally, I am not fond of a lot of Thai street food, because i am not fond of Chilis.

If it were my choice i would prefer Istambul, Athens, or Ho Chi Minh street food.

But that is just my personal choice of places i have personally been to, and eaten street food in.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typos

I have a tourist venue where dozens of backpacker farang show up.  A hefty % have to cancel or leave early because they become ill after eating Thai sidewalk food.    

I buy chicken and a few other things sometimes, but it's a bit of a gamble on some items.  Luckily for me, I have a stronger-than-average farang gut (almost as strong as a Thai gut), so I can handle weird bacteria.  I don't experiment, though.  No crickets or insect grubs for me, thanks.  Neither will I eat slabs of pig skin with the hair still on it (actually offered to a group of farang chicks who were interacting with the locals).  ....and then there's MSG, which I and most farangs hate.

I don't see it at all. I worked in BKK 1994 - 2000 and had a job that often involved me moving around, on foot, by bus or motorcycle. At first I ate on the street a couple of times a day but eventually gave up doing so as I could taste the pollution in the food.

That said, as always, one man's meat......

Last time I had street food was in Phuket 2000 , the little old lady was great , she sold chicken,  you could say specialized and the word got around that if anyone was suffering from constipation , try the Chicken.......................................:coffee1:

I think for most asians, when you say "street food", the food is classified as snacks / light meal. Not main meals to fill the tummy - such as chicken rice / noodles.

I would say the countries with best street food are - Japan, Taiwan, and China. There is just so much more variety and originality compare to the ones in Thailand - which most the street food are not even Thai to begin with - such as chicken rice and noodles.

4 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Did CNN take any account of the warnings regularly issued by the various governments about the dangers of street food  ?

Food poisoning for my family to date:

*Well know international franchises in Thailand:  2 cases

*Thai street food: 0 cases

#1 for best chance of getting ran over because there are no sidewalks for the pedestrians as the BIB have sold the sidewalks for their own benefit.

The drivers have no accountability once they run you over so why not?

If they got rid of the street food, vendors, beggars and illegally parked taxi's on the roads and sidewalks, I wouldn't miss any of them.

Part of the charm of Bkk? I don't think so.

Formaldehyde and borax in the veggies, hepatitis and recycled oil? No thanks. I will cook at home. 

Edited by ALLSEEINGEYE