Cafe Amazon Franchise

Hi,

I'm looking into different businesses in Thailand and one option is to buy into an Amazon franchise.

Anybody have personal experience or knowledge they're willing to share?

I've flipped through their basic franchise info, and had my partner talk to a local owner for a few minutes, but haven't delved any deeper.  Location and rent are key....so spending most of the time looking into where to put it.

Any comments appreciated....thanks.

Edited by ouagadougou

According to a friend who was a Director of PTT and has now retired, there is a very long waiting list for Amazon franchises. Even he has to wait at least a year and he used to run PTTEP, so you may have a long wait. You would be better off investing in PTT who own Amazon and be sure of making a profit. The problem of owning any business is that in a forced sale you could lose your shirt. With investment in the SET you can sell your "investment" in seconds. The other advantage is shares are in your sole name with no Thai partner.

Franchises get rich!  Franchisees not so much.  As long as you are looking for something take a look at Coffee Tribe in Phuket.  The place is amazing and is a huge hit locally.  Maybe talk to the owner about expanding near you and be in on the ground floor??  Anyway you can find them online but take it from me, they have to push the customers out the door at 8PM or they would never leave.  If you do what they do in the right location you will be very happy.  Good luck!

Hi ouagadougou

1.  they are alway empty;

2.  they're all over;

3.  the staff dont' get paid hardley anything;

Add these three things together and you'll realize that they must have to pay almost all of the money they  do  make to the franchise.

It soulds like a mega cop out to go for one of these with a partner who's reliability in such a shit business is going to be justifiably questionable even if they're OK,  but due to the location they surely are likely not to be.
Why not just start selling coffee from a nicely put together place of your own?  Pay for the decore,  signs and make it look nice and there you have it an intelligent man's version of a peasant's idea.  Or,  be a peasant and go nowhere,  as is the destiny of a peasant with a peasant brain.
It cannot be more simple,
Tom

Coffee franchise ....... whole idea seems daft.

Pay someone to provide a coffee machine ..... order milk and beans.

You can do it all yourself at a fraction of the price, then when it doesn't work out, take the coffee machine home for personal use.

A new supa dupa PTP petrol nation just opened very near to us. Great for filling the cars up.

Amazon Coffee - tucked away in the furthest corner of the plot, hardly visible and a decent walk from the parking area. In the shopping bit is a small place with a local lady doing take-away teas and coffees. She is in the middle of the parking area.

Guess which one is busier?

39 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

A new supa dupa PTP petrol nation just opened very near to us. Great for filling the cars up.

Amazon Coffee - tucked away in the furthest corner of the plot, hardly visible and a decent walk from the parking area. In the shopping bit is a small place with a local lady doing take-away teas and coffees. She is in the middle of the parking area.

Guess which one is busier?

To each their own. Currently on another road trip. I stop at PTT service areas exclusively since I can fill up, they have store (usually 7), I get my Amazon coffee and many have food area. Oops, almost forgot, farang toilet for us old folks!

Edited by wwest5829

I often call at the Amazon at the fuel station between Nong No and Kranuan. It's tucked away in a corner almost as far from the 7/11 as you can get  but the espresso is great and they do it the right way with a glass of iced water on the side.

Coffee shops are popping up all over the place like mushrooms. Small private ones or franchised ones. A stated previously if you are going to open one you can easily open one yourself. The issue I have is  the number of coffee shops already flooding the market. It appears that here in Thailand when someone opens a new business if it appears to be successful many follow eg egg venders, small bakeries, pork sellers. My wife was looking for something to do so I opened a small kiosk selling something not commonly seen in Thailand (won't mention what it is at the moment). It pays its way and keeps her happy and eventually if it is successful may consider franchising myself.  

3 hours ago, Tom Cahill said:

Hi ouagadougou

1.  they are alway empty;

2.  they're all over;

3.  the staff dont' get paid hardley anything;

Add these three things together and you'll realize that they must have to pay almost all of the money they  do  make to the franchise.

It soulds like a mega cop out to go for one of these with a partner who's reliability in such a shit business is going to be justifiably questionable even if they're OK,  but due to the location they surely are likely not to be.
Why not just start selling coffee from a nicely put together place of your own?  Pay for the decore,  signs and make it look nice and there you have it an intelligent man's version of a peasant's idea.  Or,  be a peasant and go nowhere,  as is the destiny of a peasant with a peasant brain.
It cannot be more simple,
Tom

The 2 closest Amazon franchises to me are always busy.  They have a decent coffee in generous servings at a reasonable price. 

Would I buy a coffee franchise. No.

Do not open any kind of coffee shop in Chiang Mai...we are inundated with them, most of them are constantly empty. 

They open up on ring roads...nobody ever stops by.

My wife wants to run a coffee shop here, ...I politely said a big fat NO!!

Buy a kebab van!!!