Thai police seeks to wiretap suspects without using warrants

webfact

1 hour ago, jobsworth said:

i don't understand what all the fuss is about. as it is all new sim cards need to be registered either by id card for thai people or passport for foreigner. all sim cards can always be tracked from the cell towers.

ok that is not very nice but what is happening now that is so much worse?

Then why not use the signal from the celltowers? That's how they do it all over the world.

And how were you going to use another sim as being a tourist with a prepaid phone from a certain company? They even can't change the sim or the phone won't work.

And even if they could change the sim, where is their original sim going to be kept?

According to an article in LFT (http://www.lettersfromthailand.com/police-seek-warrantless-wiretaps.html),

Police are asking for this because:

• The Department of Special Investigation already has authorisation to wiretap and eavesdrop, so they want it too;
  • They already secretly (surreptitiously) ask for phone records from telecommunications service providers as part of criminal probes without seeking court approval. Thus, amending the Criminal Procedure Code (as they are suggesting) will only serve to legitimise what is already being done!
Edited by waldroj
New link - old one mysteriously became unavailable!

Just now, tuanku said:

Now the army has escaped from civilian oversight and is free of all checks and balances, the police want a bit of the same. Wearing a uniform seems to make you above the law here.

Please read my post above yours.  Illegal interception is being carried out in pretty much every country I know. This is nothing specific to Thailand, the Junta or wanting to be above the law.

23 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Please read my post above yours.  Illegal interception is being carried out in pretty much every country I know. This is nothing specific to Thailand, the Junta or wanting to be above the law.

Al,

Every country you know is not run by a military junta that has neutralised every potential check on it powers and assured itself immunity from prosecution and a veto on who governs for the next 20 years (barring a revolution)

Every country you know does not have a police force whose name is a byword for corruption and lawlessness of the worst sort

And every country you know is not Thailand which is the subject of this particular forum.

8 hours ago, seajae said:

how to lose all your support in one stupid action if this is allowed, is this what they really wanted to do with the sim cards after saying they would need warrants to do so, maybe  the truth about it is emerging, police want an open book to listen in on everyone

My first thought when I saw this story.  They just got done saying that there was nothing to worry about because the foreigner SIM would require a court order . . . Now they announce a plan to not require court orders.  

Gotta give them credit for having some massive cojones 

5 hours ago, tuanku said:

Al,

Every country you know is not run by a military junta that has neutralised every potential check on it powers and assured itself immunity from prosecution and a veto on who governs for the next 20 years (barring a revolution)

Every country you know does not have a police force whose name is a byword for corruption and lawlessness of the worst sort

And every country you know is not Thailand which is the subject of this particular forum.

Tuanku

Your two points are nothing to do with what I said.

One of my biggest companies is one of many that sells the equipment used for GSM Interception. Whilst it is all sold to qualified Governments and law enforcement agencies, they do not just use it legally. And it IS sold in every country. In Thailand they have actually asked to use it. There is only one country in Europe I know of that uses the equipment legally. So, my point is that all the comments concerning 'Junta's' and Thailand and the Thai police are basically not valid as everyone else out there across the world is doing the same without asking permission.

15 hours ago, jobsworth said:

i don't understand what all the fuss is about. as it is all new sim cards need to be registered either by id card for thai people or passport for foreigner. all sim cards can always be tracked from the cell towers.

ok that is not very nice but what is happening now that is so much worse?

Because the tracking feature can be turned off at the phone.    With the new sim cards, the tracking feature cannot be turned off, ever.

Edited by Ajahnski

10 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

Tuanku

Your two points are nothing to do with what I said.

One of my biggest companies is one of many that sells the equipment used for GSM Interception. Whilst it is all sold to qualified Governments and law enforcement agencies, they do not just use it legally. And it IS sold in every country. In Thailand they have actually asked to use it. There is only one country in Europe I know of that uses the equipment legally. So, my point is that all the comments concerning 'Junta's' and Thailand and the Thai police are basically not valid as everyone else out there across the world is doing the same without asking permission.

I accept what you say about Europe and believe you. however there are some checks and balances in Europe and I would also suggest misuse is not generally directed against legitimate internal political dissent but is directed against known or strongly suspected terrorists and major criminal organisations. I don't believe law enforcement agencies in Europe target, for instances, the families of non-violent student protesters.

Countries which have legitimate elected Governments who the electorate trust to make tough decisions about when illegal use of phone tapping technology is in the public interest, and who often have to confront at some later date the consequences of those decisions and explain themselves, are not in the same category as countries who maintain autocratic rule by suppression of  dissenting voices, use military force or the threat of it to overturn elected governments, and overtly favour the interests of a PRIVILEGED MINORITY OVER THE NATIONAL INTEREST. The fact that the Thai Police see no harm in asking the question in public is a measure of just how barefaced the intimidation of would be republicans or democrats is.

I don't think your comparison between European democracies and Thailand is valid.

46 minutes ago, tuanku said:

I accept what you say about Europe and believe you. however there are some checks and balances in Europe and I would also suggest misuse is not generally directed against legitimate internal political dissent but is directed against known or strongly suspected terrorists and major criminal organisations. I don't believe law enforcement agencies in Europe target, for instances, the families of non-violent student protesters.

Countries which have legitimate elected Governments who the electorate trust to make tough decisions about when illegal use of phone tapping technology is in the public interest, and who often have to confront at some later date the consequences of those decisions and explain themselves, are not in the same category as countries who maintain autocratic rule by suppression of  dissenting voices, use military force or the threat of it to overturn elected governments, and overtly favour the interests of a PRIVILEGED MINORITY OVER THE NATIONAL INTEREST. The fact that the Thai Police see no harm in asking the question in public is a measure of just how barefaced the intimidation of would be republicans or democrats is.

I don't think your comparison between European democracies and Thailand is valid.

Agreed. A good response thank you.