New rules for marriage Visa

A friend last week went to Ayuthaya immigration to extend his Marriage visa, with an income statement from the embassy for 450,000 baht income per year. Today he was advised from Bangkok immigration that the income or combined income and bank balance required was now increased to 500,000 baht. He is given a day to show a bank account in his and his wife''s name showing a balance of 50,000 baht. Anyone else had the same experience?

The requirement is 40k baht per month which is an annual income of 480k baht that is needed. There is no combination method allowed for an extension based upon marriage.

If he has the income that he could put on a new income letter that might be the best option.

Or if division 3 in Bangkok is willing to accept some money in the bank he would really only need 30k baht in the bank. But since his income is probably reflected on his income letter in his home country currency he might need more or less dependent upon the exchange rate on the date he submits a bank letter and bank book.

Thank you ubonjoe. From the sound of it in this case they have allowed a combination of income and bank balance (without seasoning) in what I assume is a transition from 400,000 baht  per year to 480,000 baht per year. They probably allowed for the 20,000 baht for exchange rate variation.

44 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

There is no combination of income and savings.

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for 2 months.

OR.

40,000 Baht monthly income.

Seems that 400,000 Baht a year is now 480,000 Baht unless I'm reading it wrong? They seem to be taking into account the exchange rate being lower.

Edited by Ronuk
Error

43 minutes ago, yieldman said:

Thank you ubonjoe. From the sound of it in this case they have allowed a combination of income and bank balance (without seasoning) in what I assume is a transition from 400,000 baht  per year to 480,000 baht per year. They probably allowed for the 20,000 baht for exchange rate variation.

There has been no change in the income requirement which is still 40k baht a month. Apparently he confused annual income with the 400k baht in the bank option. Either that or the income shown on his income letter is not enough now do to a change of the exchange rate.

10 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Seems that 400,000 Baht a year is now 480,000 Baht unless I'm reading it wrong? They seem to be taking into account the exchange rate being lower.

You're reading it wrong. There are two options.

1. 400K in the bank for 2 months.
  2. 40K pm month income which is the equivalent to 480K per year.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You're reading it wrong. There are two options.

1. 400K in the bank for 2 months.
  2. 40K pm month income which is the equivalent to 480K per year.

OP post states that immigration required a letter stating 500,000 a year so 480,000 isn't correct either. So there's some more confusion to add to the mix.

There's 20,000 difference.

Remember we live in Thailand, and most as is the case with myself choose to be here

We all know the rules appear to vary from time to time

I did the income route this year and it backfired because I only showed 37, 000 per month, currently I am awaiting new letter from embassy as I have another pension I did not include

I consider I was very stupid not to have remained with the 400,000 in a bank account in my sole name for two months, IT is the simplest way

Next year I will take from my wife's accounts 400,000 and put it in an account in my name, after  extension approved transfer back to wife's name, ( all monies in my wife's accounts come from me)

11 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

OP post states that immigration required a letter stating 500,000 a year so 480,000 isn't correct either. So there's some more confusion to add to the mix.

What is in the OP is either 2nd or 3rd hand info if you count what was supposedly stated by immigration.

I see no mention of the letter other than 450K baht which is certainly not enough to meet the requirements.

It seems immigration may be giving him a break since the local immigration office should not of accepted the application with only 450k baht of annual income. I think they were just giving an estimated number of 500k baht as an example of what was needed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

The OP is a second hand report so I wouldn't take anything said as gospel.

• If using income, the Embassy letter should show how much (average) income someone receives in their home currency. The immigration office then convert that to baht based on the prevailing rate. The monthly income based on baht needs to be at least 40K pm, which is the equivalent of 480K py.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What is in the OP is either 2nd or 3rd hand info if you count what was supposedly stated by immigration.

I see no mention of the letter other than 450K baht which is certainly not enough to meet the requirements.

It seems immigration may be giving him a break since the local immigration should not of accepted the application with only 450k baht of income. I think they were just giving an estimated number of 500k baht as an example of what was needed.

I used the term letter when I should of used the term 'Statement" for proof of monthly income.

I apologise for being British. I never realised all terminology had to be US based.  ☺

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

It's either Baht 400,000 in the bank or Baht 40,000 a month. Baht 40,000 a month x 12 months =Baht 480,000. 

23 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

" There's 20,000 difference. "

Probably a misunderstanding on the part of the poster or a misunderstanding in communications when the message was transmitted and then interpreted.  The O/P also said something about the combination method, which doesn't apply for marriage extensions and he seemed to think the Baht 40,000 per month was the same as Baht 450,000.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

I used the term letter when I should of used the term 'Statement" for proof of monthly income.

I apologise for being British. I never realised all terminology had to be US based.  ☺

I used letter since that is closer to being correct than statement. They can have different names but I don't recall one being done as a statement.

I still don't see where it says 500k baht needed to be shown on a letter. 

20 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

We also spell two of your words with the letter z.  Please remember for future posts. Also it is USA, not US.

And I am not even American :)

Please keep calm and carry on. Pip Pip,

P.S. I love Winston Churchill. He stayed the world.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I used letter since that is closer to being correct than statement. They can have different names but I don't recall one being done as a statement.

I still don't see where it says 500k baht needed to be shown on a letter. 

From the OP'S post. Then at the end he says 50,000 Baht which I assume is a typo meaning again 500,000 Baht

Today he was advised from Bangkok immigration that the income or combined income and bank balance required was now increased to

500,000 baht. He is given a day to show a bank account in his and his wife''s name showing a balance of 50,000 baht. Anyone else had the same experience?

21 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

From the OP'S post. Then at the end he says 50,000 Baht which I assume is a typo meaning again 500,000 Baht

Today he was advised from Bangkok immigration that the income or combined income and bank balance required was now increased to

500,000 baht. He is given a day to show a bank account in his and his wife''s name showing a balance of 50,000 baht. Anyone else had the same experience?

I did my marriage extension at Samui 2 days ago, using 400k in the bank, seasoned.  That was accepted without any comment.

24 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

As I wrote before it is 2nd hand info he posted.

It appears to me they were saying they would allow him to show 50k baht in the bank to make up the difference between the 450k baht income shown and the 480k baht annual income required.

I also cannot see how 450k baht can be an exact number since the proof of income would be in a persons home currency.

• Like 1

For those who are troubled by Forum rantings here is the official text, accurate, legal emanating from "Thailand Immigration:

To know if your foreign spouse is eligible for Marriage Visa, please check the following requirements:

1. Legally married to Thai national.
    A copy of the marriage certificate to support this claim must be provided.
  2. Able to satisfy the financial requirement of:
    • savings of THB 400,000 deposited in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to visa application.
    • monthly income of at least THB 40,000. This will be supported by securing a letter from the foreign spouse’s embassy to verify this income or

Marriage visa is valid for one calendar year, and is renewable every year by submission of the same set of requirements just like the first time application. However, the funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

http://www.thailand-immigration.org/thailand-marriage-visa:

I have been attempting to seek clarification from Immigration regarding combination of income and bank account as I have seen on 3 legal services sites that it is possible to extend the marriage visa using this method.  After unsuccessfully receiving a response  from my telephone and fax enquiries I personally attended Chaeng Wattana in early July and was advised that  I needed a letter from my embassy  confirming my income and a letter from the bank showing the bank balance and my application will be considered.  I had this information confirmed twice as I was uncertain if it was correct.  Fortunately I still have time to increase my pension to meet the income requirements 

9 minutes ago, crows said:

I have been attempting to seek clarification from Immigration regarding combination of income and bank account as I have seen on 3 legal services sites that it is possible to extend the marriage visa using this method.  After unsuccessfully receiving a response  from my telephone and fax enquiries I personally attended Chaeng Wattana in early July and was advised that  I needed a letter from my embassy  confirming my income and a letter from the bank showing the bank balance and my application will be considered.  I had this information confirmed twice as I was uncertain if it was correct.  Fortunately I still have time to increase my pension to meet the income requirements 

The written rules do not mention a combination of income and money in the bank. It could be possible that Bangkok immigration might consider an application using both but I would not expect it to be normal procedure.

This is what clause 2.18 of police order 327/2557 states.

"(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year."

Sorry to raise a side issue, but one question I have always had about the 40,000 Baht income rule is whether the money is before or after tax? For example, I receive a pension from my home country which is taxed before being paid into my bank account. If I use the gross (pre-tax) amount it is over 40,000 Baht. If I use the net (post-tax) amount it is under 40,000 Baht. Thanks in advance for any answers.

4 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Sorry to raise a side issue, but one question I have always had about the 40,000 Baht income rule is whether the money is before or after tax? For example, I receive a pension from my home country which is taxed before being paid into my bank account. If I use the gross (pre-tax) amount it is over 40,000 Baht. If I use the net (post-tax) amount it is under 40,000 Baht. Thanks in advance for any answers.

It is gross income.

• Like 1

I love the quirks in Thai Immigration law.

If I have this correct, for an extension for marriage:

400,000 in the bank or 40,000 a month (480,000 annually)

Extension based on retirement:

800,000 in the bank or 65,000 a month (780,000 annually).

I suppose there's a rationale for it somewhere.

56 minutes ago, Psychic said:

That wasn't really the point. :-)

Under one set of conditions you need less money deposited in a bank than declared income.

In the other you need more money deposited.

If there is rationale it's lost on me!. It doesn't make any sense, especially the retirement criteria, when you consider that the 65K can be gross.

6 hours ago, happy Joe said:

For those who are troubled by Forum rantings here is the official text, accurate, legal emanating from "Thailand Immigration:

To know if your foreign spouse is eligible for Marriage Visa, please check the following requirements:

1. Legally married to Thai national.
    A copy of the marriage certificate to support this claim must be provided.
  2. Able to satisfy the financial requirement of:
    • savings of THB 400,000 deposited in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to visa application.
    • monthly income of at least THB 40,000. This will be supported by securing a letter from the foreign spouse’s embassy to verify this income or

Marriage visa is valid for one calendar year, and is renewable every year by submission of the same set of requirements just like the first time application. However, the funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

http://www.thailand-immigration.org/thailand-marriage-visa:

That is another 'unofficial' website with wrong/misleading information. There are three errors in this quoted text alone!

1. There is no such thing as a "Marriage Visa".
  2. You must provide an original marriage certificate too.
  3. The funds only need to be in the bank for 2 months for the first and all subsequent applications.