Public transit systems step up security measures

rooster59

Public transit systems step up security measures

Suwit Rattiwan

BANGKOK, 12 August 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Transport has instructed all units under its charge to increase security for public transit systems. 

Six main airports, including Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Mae Fa Luang and Hat Yai, were instructed to vigorously enforce security measures and keep abreast of news and evaluation of the situation. Baggage will be randomly inspected and CCTV cameras will be deployed 24 hours. The airports will also prepare more security guards in case of emergency. 

Airport Rail Link imposes the highest security measures following the ministry’s instruction. Passengers’ baggage is checked more carefully and suspicious individuals and objects are thoroughly inspected. Police dogs are deployed to assist in search operations. 

The ministry also called on the public to immediately notify officers if they see suspicious individuals or objects. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-13

2 hours ago, dukeandduke said:

The young MRT "security" officers yesterday gave me the same wave-through as I unzipped my backpack and tried to show them the contents.  How comforting.

Senior officials are saying foreigners are not involved!

2 hours ago, dukeandduke said:

The young MRT "security" officers yesterday gave me the same wave-through as I unzipped my backpack and tried to show them the contents.  How comforting.

Security  has now been stepped up. 

They've got new batteries in their torches.

Given the choice between being waved through, or standing in an airport style 15-30 minute security line for a 5-10 minute BTS or MRT ride, I prefer it just the way it is.

I've never been accosted on either system, rarely see even a hint of litter, and haven't once smelled a whiff of pee in their facilities.  Try topping any of those in a subway or elevated back home.