Government Hospitals Credit Card Payments

daboyz1

Probably not unless they are able to see/copy/physically process the card.  And some govt hospitals don't even accept credit cards; cash only.  

Keep in mind, the country's national health coverage program (a.k.a.,  30 baht medical program) would cover the cost if the family member is Thai except any additive/special costs such as a private/semi-private room which would need to be paid for.  

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Probably not unless they are able to see/copy/physically process the card.  And some govt hospitals don't even accept credit cards; cash only.  

Keep in mind, the country's national health coverage program (a.k.a.,  30 baht medical program) would cover the cost if the family member is Thai except any additive/special costs such as a private/semi-private room which would need to be paid for.  

Ok, I thought the 30 Baht thing was just for doctor visits.  I didn't realize that it covered surgeries as well.  Good to know.

Yes, it covers surgeries, medications, wards, ICU, emergency room, follow-on visits, etc.  Now the person does need to use the govt hospital they are assigned to under the 30 baht program unless it's an emergency/gotta do it now type thing.

A lot of times in-laws/friends will prefer to go to a private hospital or another govt hospital they are not assigned to if they have someone who will pay the bill.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Yes, it covers surgeries, medications, wards, ICU, emergency room, follow-on visits, etc.  Now the person does need to use the govt hospital they are assigned to under the 30 baht program unless it's an emergency/gotta do it now type thing.

A lot of times in-laws will prefer to go to a private hospital if they have someone who will pay the bill.

It's an odd thing.  I'm offering to pay for the private hospital, but they are insisting on going to the government hospital.  I suppose i should be happy, but I kinda subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" theory.  I'd hate to see something bad happen because this relative is 17 years old.  Not that the age should matter I suppose.

I expect that govt hospital has a good reputation with the local community for good or wrong reasons.   

I have several older in-laws which just don't want to use he govt hospital that really close to them because the wait times are "supposedly" longer (or use to be years ago)....they prefer to use another, small govt hospital about an hour away from their home where the wait time are shorter.  They have actually worked with some other family members to change their assigned hospital to that smaller, further away govt hospital.   From my evaluation and multiple visits to both hospitals in visiting in-laws/friends getting medical care at the hospitals,the larger/closer hospital is better equipped/newer than the smaller/older hospital further away....and I have no reason to believe the medical expertise is better at the smaller hospital.  

2 hours ago, daboyz1 said:

It's an odd thing.  I'm offering to pay for the private hospital, but they are insisting on going to the government hospital.  I suppose i should be happy, but I kinda subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" theory.  I'd hate to see something bad happen because this relative is 17 years old.  Not that the age should matter I suppose.

You shouldn't be too concerned, the hospital isn't that bad. You might pay some extra baht for a (hong peeset) special room, usually pretty nice with air, TV, etc...

But please be aware that they told an older German gentlemen a few months ago that they would accept credit cards. On his last day he had to find out that they wanted to see cash only and didn't even let him go out to the toilet. 

So they brought him the plastic bottle and that was in a big room. Good luck for him was that a visitor showed up who had enough money to pay the 12 K. 

Upcountry private hospitals are in most cases best avoided with the government provincial (or if possible, regional;) hospital offering far better quality medical care (though of course not the amenities of a private hospital). I think your family knows what they are doing.

My wife has just completed a course of radiation treatment after a mastectomy for breast cancer at the main Surin Government Hospital. She has nothing but good to say about her treatment. I too personally have had dealings with this hospital on a few occasions - likewise.

An appendectomy is I understand fairly normal, so you should be OK.

She had the surgery at the government hospital in Surin.  Apparently an appendectomy is almost an outpatient procedure these days.  Everything went well and she should be released today.  Seems everything was covered, except for a few hundred baht because she got a private room after the operation.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

On 8/13/2016 at 11:38 PM, lostinisaan said:

You shouldn't be too concerned, the hospital isn't that bad. You might pay some extra baht for a (hong peeset) special room, usually pretty nice with air, TV, etc...

But please be aware that they told an older German gentlemen a few months ago that they would accept credit cards. On his last day he had to find out that they wanted to see cash only and didn't even let him go out to the toilet. 

So they brought him the plastic bottle and that was in a big room. Good luck for him was that a visitor showed up who had enough money to pay the 12 K. 

pí-sàyt is better.  :-)

Archived