How many western man live in thailand and are happy

georgemandm

22 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

He says he's from Australia but his English suggests he's naturalized.

If he's from Australian then he's talking lies about cheap, Australia is very expensive compared to most countries of the world.. 

I call a rat ! 

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

Here you go was in Australia on Tuesday went and bought hair  shampoo for $3.50 a bottle 

to day in Bangkok was 159 thai  bht a bottle is $6.40 dose that   Answer  Your question.

the only thing in Australia , it cost more to eat out at restaurants .

You ok, bills, food are dearer, housing and rent, registration, going out, dearer.. You can buy shampoo in Bangkok for 50 baht.. 3:50 in oz, when it's on sale.. 

I am quite happy in Thailand but I can see why some people are disenchanted. I came to Thailand in early 1991 to accept a job offer. There were certainly ups and downs. Fortunately money was NOT one of the problems. Both my jobs here paid quite well. I worked for two Thai companies until the Thai economy crashed. I then accepted a job in sunny Southern Kalifornia. I remember very well sitting in the big bird on Don Muang runway thinking that I was finished with Thailand, likely would never return and was not sad to be leaving.

Kalifornia turned out to be the biggest disappointment of my life. I would have never guessed that I would quickly learn to despise Southern Kalifornia. The only thing I could think about was how to get back to Thailand. I stuck it out for five years and things worked out well. I topped up my Social Security account and accumulated a small pension. At the end of that miserable five years I was able to retire. I was not wealthy for sure but had enough to retire comfortably in Thailand.

Probably one of the happiest times of my life was again sitting in a big bird, but on a LAX runway and looking forward to leaving Kalifornia never to have to return. Since I was already familiar with Thailand, settling in went smoothly. I have never looked back and intend to live out my days here. It took a number of years to find a good woman who was able to put up with a crotchety old fart. It may even last. After more than ten years together things are better than they have ever been. I think we mellow with age and both  of us have learned to put up with each other's quirks.

Agent sumo 

tell me you a doctor in English? .

i would say you are a Pom 

I don't understand why you seem to take such great offence whenever someone mentions your English and the fact that you may not be a born and bred Australian.

Your heritage isn't an issue for me but there are times when you seem unable to make your point clear using the English language.

I'm sure most of the members reading your posts would agree.

Here you go was in Australia on Tuesday went and bought hair  shampoo for $3.50 a bottle 

to day in Bangkok was 159 thai  bht a bottle is $6.40 dose that   Answer  Your question.

the only thing in Australia , it cost more to eat out at restaurants .

Surely you can understand that the price in Thailand would include import duty. It's possible to buy shampoo for next to nothing here but if you insist on a Western brand that has to be imported, then it's going to cost more.

You have to be one of the most hard-headed posters I've ever encountered on Thaivisa. 

Even when clear evidence is shoved in your face, you still deny it and find another stupid point to argue on.

I can't speak to Australia but compared to Thailand, in my country (UK), property (rent or buy) is more expensive; petrol is more expensive; food is more expensive; booze is more expensive; public transport is more expensive; taxis are more expensive, postage is more expensive.

Cable TV, internet and some electronics are cheaper. 

5 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Surely you can understand that the price in Thailand would include import duty. It's possible to buy shampoo for next to nothing here but if you insist on a Western brand that has to be imported, then it's going to cost more.

You have to be one of the most hard-headed posters I've ever encountered on Thaivisa. 

Even when clear evidence is shoved in your face, you still deny it and find another stupid point to argue on.

I can't speak to Australia but compared to Thailand, in my country (UK), property (rent or buy) is more expensive; petrol is more expensive; food is more expensive; booze is more expensive; public transport is more expensive; taxis are more expensive, postage is more expensive.

How did I know you was a Pom , just by reading your replys . 

Come on mr know it all you tell me the truth,  if you didn't have a thai wife would you be in thailand for thailand I would say no way .

And you have know idea about me .

i just ask a question ok and you turn it around  against  Me .

i not care about your country ok .

read what I ask the members ok .

i am telling you ok thailand is getting very   Expensive .

how bad is it for the thai people on 300 bht a day .

the  shampoo things is just one little thing .

you are  justifying why you went to thailand and truth is for a thai women.

like 90 % of man who move here .

i just ask if most western man are happy and a lot are and I am happy for them and they are lots who are not .

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

Come on mr know it all you tell me the truth,  if you didn't have a thai wife would you be in thailand for thailand I would say no way .

i just ask if most western man are happy and a lot are and I am happy for them and they are lots who are not .

LOL!

As I said in an earlier post, I'm not married, I don't have a formal girlfriend and I avoid prostitutes so I most definitely didn't come here for the women

Most of your posts on this thread seem to dwell on the living costs associated with Thailand so I have to assume that you just couldn't afford to live here full-time and are just envious of those of us who can (although I can't see why because it's hardly expensive)

31 minutes ago, mihalis said:

You ok, bills, food are dearer, housing and rent, registration, going out, dearer.. You can buy shampoo in Bangkok for 50 baht.. 3:50 in oz, when it's on sale.. 

So you would put 50 bht shampoo in your hair would you , i would not .

i very ok thank you and yes things are dear in my country but the life style is great .

thats why people die trying to get in .

i can live on $200 a week very well if I didn't go out and eat .

that is two people.

i have never said thailand is no good ok I just ask are western man happy here .

thailand is great to go and come but to live  here full time just because of a thai women is not my idea of a good life .

35 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

So you would put 50 bht shampoo in your hair would you , i would not .

i very ok thank you and yes things are dear in my country but the life style is great .

thats why people die trying to get in .

i can live on $200 a week very well if I didn't go out and eat .

that is two people.

i have never said thailand is no good ok I just ask are western man happy here .

thailand is great to go and come but to live  here full time just because of a thai women is not my idea of a good life .

I like Thai women much better than Western Woman on the average so that makes me very happy living in Thailand.  I have found Thai women much happier living in Thailand than in the West so that makes them very happy and that makes me very happy when they very happy.  Housing and the associated expenses are the biggest part of living expenses and those are 50% less in Thailand than any Western country.  My pension goes much further in Thailand than it would in any Western country and that makes me very happy.  I pay less for lobster than a MacDonalds hamburger and since I like lobster more than MacDonalds that makes me very happy.  I have a mia noi in Thailand and that makes me happy.  I could not afford a mia noi in the West so living in Thailand makes me happy.   

3 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I like Thai women much better than Western Woman on the average so that makes me very happy living in Thailand.  I have found Thai women much happier living in Thailand than in the West so that makes them very happy and that makes me very happy when they very happy.  Housing and the associated expenses are the biggest part of living expenses and those are 50% less in Thailand than any Western country.  My pension goes much further in Thailand than it would in any Western country and that makes me very happy.  I pay less for lobster than a MacDonalds hamburger and since I like lobster more than MacDonalds that makes me very happy.  I have a mia noi in Thailand and that makes me happy.  I could not afford a mia noi in the West so living in Thailand makes me happy.   

You've also very cleverly avoided the "marriage, land buy, house build, children" strategy ... you've taken all the good stuff and avoided the bad ... the key to a happy life!

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

You've also very cleverly avoided the "marriage, land buy, house build, children" strategy ... you've taken all the good stuff and avoided the bad ... the key to a happy life!

Mia noi assumes one has a Mia.  English can be difficult especially when talking about another culture.    

2 hours ago, georgemandm said:

I don't have a Thai wife, and yet here I am in Thailand. Many of my friends don't have Thai partners either.

We're all happy here.

34 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I don't have a Thai wife, and yet here I am in Thailand. Many of my friends don't have Thai partners either.

We're all happy here.

Good stuff SoiBiker.

I was the same. I was here working for a US company. Wasn't here for a Thai women, in fact wasn't even interested in meeting a woman, didn't have the time. I was just enjoying my life and living here under a US companies umbrella and quite happy. Good food, Great weather, cheap public transpo, staying at a nice long term Centrepoint pad in BKK.  Never ever did the bar girl scene. In fact, it made me cringe as most of them I saw looked worn out and were not even that pretty besides the fact she likely just planked some other drunked up nasty dude 30 minutes earlier. How some guys can go on here about shagging them like they are all stunners is beyond me. Maybe its the individual standards each of us has. I also think the OP asking this audience this question has many holes in it because honestly as I have always felt, many have GF's/Wives half their senior and after the rush of that is over, reality sets in. They have nothing in common with them and likely live out in nowhere land. Their life is relegated to Thai forums for a social life and drinking to numb the reality. To each his own but the "Happy" gauge for them is probably based on how many drinks they have consumed. Sober they are miserable, pleasantly anesthetized life is just perfect. Of course we all know that has diminishing returns.

Edited by JAFO

7 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Never ever did the bar girl scene. In fact, it made me cringe as most of them I saw looked worn out and were not even that pretty besides the fact she likely just planked some other drunked up nasty dude 30 minutes earlier. How some guys can go on here about shagging them like they are all stunners is beyond me.

LOL.

They do wash you know, at least some of them.

It's a bit like taking a taxi where you don't really care which fat ass sat in the seat 30 minutes earlier.

4 minutes ago, meom said:

LOL.

They do wash you know, at least some of them.

It's a bit like taking a taxi where you don't really care which fat ass sat in the seat 30 minutes earlier.

I generally keep my pants on in a taxi.

21 hours ago, mihalis said:

Mate, I'm guessing your on a pension, where Australian government pays for everything ! Australia is great country and so is Thailand but comparing living cost is like comparing chalk and cheese !

Number one you are not my mate ok.

number two you have know idea how I get my money .

number three yes true Australia and thailand are like chalk and cheese because thailand is know we're as great as Australia to live in and cost of living in thailand is not that much cheaper then Australia.

On ‎16‎/‎8‎/‎2559 at 2:24 PM, 55Jay said:

Or just set my corpse adrift off IB/Tijuana river estuary.  Ought to be dissolved within 48 hours, bones and all.  :(

4250458_G.jpg

Go a little north to Coronado, very nice. IB is always having problems with TJ sewage.

number three yes true Australia and thailand are like chalk and cheese because thailand is know we're as great as Australia to live in and cost of living in thailand is not that much cheaper then Australia.

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself

Say it enough times and you'll start to believe it

Quite sad, really

4 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Mate you must be suffering from something ! Thailand is way cheaper than oz, If indeed you come from here ! 

On 17/08/2016 at 6:42 PM, SoiBiker said:

We're all happy here.

Only a fool would stay in a county he

On 17/08/2016 at 4:22 PM, georgemandm said:

Australia is a lot dearer to live in then Thailand, as for stupid example shampoo, a lot of BRAND shampoo are manufactured in Thailand !  

On 17/08/2016 at 4:03 PM, Agent Sumo said:

I can speak for Australia and its vastly more expensive than Thailand, food, rent, buying home, petrol, booze, public transport, taxis...  

I am very happy in Thailand and have no plans to leave.

My home country of USA has become such a violent, hateful racist and expensive mess, I doubt that I will ever return, even for a visit.

I have watched Thailand struggle to improve in recent years and watched my home country decompose.

I just feel safer here in Thailand.

It's an interesting topic if one can get past the notion of a standard approach to finding happiness.

Personally, I choose to assimilate and absorb those aspects of Thai culture and living that I appreciate and enjoy and reject those I don't.

In any country, I would posit that's the key to ease of heart?

In: Thai Food and Western food in equal proportions, Close western friends, Thai partner, Riding a motorcycle, Visiting beautiful places; Hua Hin, Pranburi, Sam Roi Yot, Krabi etc, Sam Ruam (the middle way/tolerance and understanding/moderation), Thai nightlife fun (at times), Understanding a little Thai language, Engaging in meaningful, creative projects, Exercise, Swimming, The colour red.

Out: Bangkok Traffic, Pattaya (except in the low season), trying to change Thai bad working practices or habits (better to work around them), Shopping in either markets or malls especially with girlfriend!,  Drinking too much or too often, Too much politics either in the west or here in Thailand. The colour yellow 555!

Edited by RawboneFunksta

On 8/17/2016 at 3:42 PM, SoiBiker said:

We're all happy here.

I'd love to know how many friends you have and how many have Thai partners.

I say this, as because there are a (very) few with Western wives or Western gay partners - the vast majority have Thai wives.

You must be living in a v rarefied atmosphere to make this claim!