How many western man live in thailand and are happy

georgemandm

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I shouldn't be responding on this thread as I'm not a Western male.  But my (limited) experience is that those who make the most effort to tell everyone how happy they are - are the ones in trouble, and far from happy.

So if an OP posts a question like this, what should we all do, lie so that your theory about psychology remains valid or simply just ignore the thread completely. Really, far too crazy for words!!!

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chiang mai said:

So if an OP posts a question like this, what should we all do, lie so that your theory about psychology remains valid or simply just ignore the thread completely. Really, far too crazy for words!!!

Fair enough, except I have examples.

One committed suicide and the other (who always told everyone else how happy he was), told me that he was suffering from depression and was taking anti-depression pills.

I've been living just outside Korat for the past 3-4 years and am happier here than I've ever been anywhere else. I've lived in a few different countries, mainly Western Europe, but was never truly "content". I've gladly adapted to Thailand/Isan and don't miss too much about my life in Europe. As others have pointed out, as soon as you learn to adapt to your new environment, then it becomes much easier to live here. 

I love the climate and most of the food, the sense of freedom and the general "live and let live" attitude.

That having been said, it's not every man's cup of tee. Some people simply cannot change or feel happy living away from the familiar surroundings. 

I honestly don't know if I could ever be this content back in Europe. 

2 minutes ago, djayz said:

I've been living just outside Korat for the past 3-4 years and am happier here than I've ever been anywhere else. I've lived in a few different countries, mainly Western Europe, but was never truly "content". I've gladly adapted to Thailand/Isan and don't miss too much about my life in Europe. As others have pointed out, as soon as you learn to adapt to your new environment, then it becomes much easier to live here. 

I love the climate and most of the food, the sense of freedom and the general "live and let live" attitude.

That having been said, it's not every man's cup of tee. Some people simply cannot change or feel happy living away from the familiar surroundings. 

Ive found the locals  very far from "live and let  live" seem to want to complain about everything I do but not only me each other as well like little  kids.

So far complaints have been  filling the  holes in the road with concrete (true), cutting down trees up the hill ( false) stealing water  (false have own wells) putting a  hedge out the front of the house (true) despite  many of them in the  village building small structures outside the line of the electric  posts and also planting small gardens in some cases.

Yesterdays was flying my drone on my land 15 rai and now a complaint.................say its noisy  when in fact its way quieter than anyone using a brush cutter which can go on all day, the local loud thump thump music, dogs  barking and cows  mooing, even head of the village had to laugh when he heard it and saw the video. Its only a small drone and I fly within the laws of Thailand. I live out in the country and out of the village, wouldnt be so bad but i reckon if  I fly it twice a month its unusual.

I get the feeling these kinds of topics are an attempt to justify one’s feelings and garner support from those with similar views.  That doesn’t often work since there will always be those who agree and disagree.

I have lived here forty years and have a really great life but that does not mean that Thailand is a great place for everyone.  

Some people depend on a partner to get them through the early years, where I did it on my own for the first twenty years and only settled down after I had a life of my own here.

Everyone has their own story, some good some bad.

We live a few hours drive NE of BKK the past 3 1/2 years we've been in Thailand full time.   The shine has definitely worn off, exacerbated by living so far from the ocean, which has always been a significant part of my life until now.  So I'm not "happy" here, Thailand doesn't interest me anymore, but it's ok for now.  Wife has lived outside Thailand with me for several years, she definitely isn't happy up here and would probably run me over getting to the airport leaving this country altogether.  But, life is on hold as we (me) are financially fit to stay and take care of her aged Mom, 86, while all the siblings are still slogging it out down in BKK.  We get back to the US once a year, for 1 or 2 months at a time, and that helps keep us happy and sane. 

When the wife's Mom eventually moves on, so will we. Very possible we will wind up in San Diego area.   We went to explore Florida this year for a month.  It's ok but San Diego is my home ocean.  Maybe one day when I'm too old to be humping up and down Pacific swells out in the boat, move back to Thailand to die, and get burned up in the big pizza oven out back.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

We live a few hours drive NE of BKK the past 3 1/2 years we've been in Thailand full time.   The shine has definitely worn off, exacerbated by living so far from the ocean, which has always been a significant part of my life until now.  So I'm not "happy" here, Thailand doesn't interest me anymore, but it's ok for now.  Wife has lived outside Thailand with me for several years, she definitely isn't happy up here and would probably run me over getting to the airport leaving this country altogether.  But, life is on hold as we (me) are financially fit to stay and take care of her aged Mom, 86, while all the siblings are still slogging it out down in BKK.  We get back to the US once a year, for 1 or 2 months at a time, and that helps keep us happy and sane. 

When the wife's Mom eventually moves on, so will we. Very possible we will wind up in San Diego area.   We went to explore Florida this year for a month.  It's ok but San Diego is my home ocean.  Maybe one day when I'm too old to be humping up and down Pacific swells out in the boat, move back to Thailand to die, and get burned up in the big pizza oven out back.  :lol:

Yes another reason I stay here is that my Wife has a very good  job with a  very good  income even by western standards and to leave would be a bit crazy right now but maybe later when Im late 60's as we do have many options as to where we could live once she retires.

50 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Fair enough, except I have examples.

One committed suicide and the other (who always told everyone else how happy he was), told me that he was suffering from depression and was taking anti-depression pills.

Seems you were just unfortunate enough to know a couple of odd balls, insufficient evidence there I would suggest to warrant a rule in psychology!

28 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Everyone has their own story, some good some bad.

Most people have the same story, starts off good, then divorce and bad, then if they have enough time and money left, good again.

The only thing that ends the cycle is an early death (of them or their spouse).

38 minutes ago, kannot said:

Ive found the locals  very far from "live and let  live" seem to want to complain about everything I do but not only me each other as well like little  kids.

Your mistake is speaking/listening to locals. 

Sorry I don't understand Thai/English/French/Spanish stops the nonsense before it starts.

3 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Most people have the same story, starts off good, then divorce and bad, then if they have enough time and money left, good again.

The only thing that ends the cycle is an early death (of them or their spouse).

Unfortunately my good from beginning to end story is not the norm but I am proof it is possible.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

Seems you were just unfortunate enough to know a couple of odd balls, insufficient evidence there I would suggest to warrant a rule in psychology!

As I said, my experience here was limited.  This being the case, its telling that two of those who always told others they loved it here/were v happy - were clearly nothing of the sort.

8 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Your mistake is speaking/listening to locals. 

Sorry I don't understand Thai/English/French/Spanish stops the nonsense before it starts.

I dont my Wife has to deal with the bizarre accusations that have cropped up over the years

Nothing is perfect. I am happy living out in the sticks.

No fancy restaurants etc, but my wife is a fantastic cook.

I am perfectly happy living here, but i love to be a moaning old bugger it helps to pass the time.

I am 1 of those posters who ;loves complaining, but posting is good fun

Love it when a discussion starts and some members get stuck in tearing my comments to bits.

Hey people life is very short, live it enjoy it, be happy.

3 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Good thanks for the reply, yes I would say you are right living in thai villages is not that good at all and because you live near BKK you can have the best of both worlds.

and yes the partner thing is the most important.

and I do talk thai very well now that was the first thing I said to my self 7 years ago  if I am going to try and live In thailand I have to talk thai .

I personally disagree with you about living in a Thai village. I live on the edge of the Mae Wong National park, 65km from Khampaeng Phet and about 400 km from BKK. I live in a small valley surrounded by trees, small hills and fresh air 24/7. The local Thais are great people, very helpful and friendly.

We have lived here for 12 years plus 3 years in BKK before that.

I am lucky as I have a good wife and son, good neighbours and a lot of Thai friends. Fewer farang friends as we are widely scattered out here. I find it difficult to speak Thai at 72, probably because I am partly deaf and also tone deaf.

There is not a lot I need or would use in BKK though we go down once or twice a year to visit my wife's family but I personally find it dirty, hot, crowded and the traffic is horrendous.

4 hours ago, tonray said:

"I have been going and coming for 7 years and tried to live full time and can't handle it , I just like to go and go back home "

What can't you handle about it ? What are your activities while here ?

The men I have seen that cannot handle Thailand are the ones who never considered living any other way than the way they live in the west. They eat at western restaurants, shop at western styled malls and generally never integrate with the local society. If that is your idea of living in Thailand, then you have never actually been living here, only been a tourist passing through.

I am happy here. It is an easy place to live. Cheap rents, no credit checks, very few hassles outside of Immigration issues. 

"Cheap rents, no credit checks"

When i bought a motorbike for the Missus a few years back i asked about credit.     The owner of the Honda  dealership said there is a black list in Thailand where  borrowing is unavailable to those on it.      I imagine that must be a pretty long list..    555

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

I cook all my own western food at home. No need to eat in western restaurants or go to shopping malls. But I didn't eat at restaurants or shop in malls in London either.

My life is essentially the same, but warmer, dryer and cheaper. Why would I want to live like a Thai? I'm happy to be English and live like an English person.

I make a lot of my own western food at home. Ham, bacon, sausages, pies, bread, cakes, biscuits etc. Sometimes I have to modify the recipes as I don't have or cannot get the right ingredients though I have a friend in Jomtien who can send me thing I really need.

I also eat Thai food that my wife cooks as she is a better cook than me and my Thai cooking doesn't always taste like hers does.

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Me too, but I've been enjoying my trips back to the world more and more, but at the same time, the trips help me appreciate the little things I do enjoy about living here. 

We are sat on 1.5 rai, no other houses right up next to us,  trees and blue sky in view no matter which window or door I look out.  If I could drag the ocean up here, I (might) not ever leave!   Not a bad little town I suppose, Tesco Express, plenty of shops, markets, ATMs, good enough for day to day life.  We head into the city a couple times a week for shopping and goofing around with a small, relatively cohesive portion of the farang social network.   I would like to live closer but over time, I've gotten a bit spoiled with the extra elbow room this place affords, and having seen a few instances of farang back biting in town, usually over some petty nonsense.....we're good right here.  For now.

I have lived full time in Thailand for more than twenty years. As far as marriage, I am still on my honeymoon. We have only been married for a bit over ten years. My son still cannot believe that I choose to stay here in Thailand. He has offered to build me a new home in the US. I keep telling him that I am not interested in Leaving Thailand. Maybe one of the best thing I can say about Thailand is that the only place I ever want to see ice again is in my glass. I'll just add that anyone who lives somewhere he hates has to be stupid. If you don't have enough money to go back where you came from, that makes you double stupid.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

A lot also depends if you have sufficient income or a nice job. If that is not the case then its often easier back home. Because if you want to live like a westerner here it costs more as living like one back home. If I had no job id be spending a lot more money and bored too. 

Having lived in London my entire life, I still find a Western lifestyle to be cheaper here. 

Unlike the OP, the way things are done here don't really bother me that much. I can get pretty much everything I want/need  in the area in which I live (downtown Sukhumvit) and the costs compare favourably with London. 

Unlike most, I find the cultural differences and educational standards to be an impediment to any serious relationship with the local women. I'm not slagging them off because there's a lot to be said for superficial relationships but I point blank refuse to support women financially. Luckily, I'm perfectly ok with being single and happy in my own company

Strange question OP IMO,  people do come in all sorts of flavours :) it would be easy to assume there are ones that are happy and those who are not,  how they go about dealing with it either way is their problem.

Who knows whether it will end up being full time. 

You say you have friends in Thailand who are trapped after selling their lot back home and can't move out of the place, they must be happy with there lot here or senile then.

Don't know where your from,  my truth is,  it's not hard for me to know that l am certainly better off in Thailand than l would of been staying in England.  

My decision to retire here in Thailand had been planned over a good few years,  l keep myself active with my hobby's and indulge in Egyptian athletics when l choose to.  :)  

4 hours ago, tonray said:

Why did the OP come to Thailand in the first place. if cost of living is the same in your country, and you 'can't handle it' what attracted you to live in a foreign land ?

And you never stated what about Thailand that you can't handle. More info would help the thread.

I am not knocking thailand ok I am just asking how and why people like thailand.

thailand has good and bad points.

why I come to thailand is the same as you I would think , but you would not stand up like a man and add met it .

Like I did and I am not going to get on here and tell you the bad side of thailand it is not my business.

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

I am not knocking thailand ok I am just asking how and why people like thailand.

thailand has good and bad points.

why I come to thailand is the same as you I would think , but you would not stand up like a man and add met it .

Like I did and I am not going to get on here and tell you the bad side of thailand it is not my business.

And one more thing if you have not noticed the cost of living in thailand is very high now and when I first came to thailand 7 years ago it was very low cost of living and the bht for the dollar was great not now . 

dont think I could live back in  Australia, great place to visit these days but it doesnt hold anything for me. I love it here, I am not a drinker so I dont spend time at bars,  like all the local food but still cook western every so often and I avoid all the tourist areas if I can although we do go to a few in the off season when it is quieter. My hobby keeps me enthusiastic here, I spend a few days a week on the other side of town doing bits and pieces with my trees or I am on the computer working on my websites or answering queries/helping others from around the world. I am lucky enough to be a leading expert with what I do and I  get trips paid for by others to do talks/demonstrations around the world or I just go back to the farm in Australia for a couple of weeks to see how my trees are going over there. I enjoy the climate here and spend a lot of my spare time with my wife doing bits and pieces around our house or our land when she is not at work(she manages a mining/export companies local office). I cant speak thai even though I have tried learning it for years(I have memory retention problems) but it doesnt bother me and I get on great with all her friends and work mates, we get invited to many weddings and other parties etc through her work as well. To be honest I can never remember being happier than I am here, I still have my bitches now and then when I see stupid things but we all do that anyway, unlike some though I am not a lover of Bangkok and we both avoid it if we can, prefer staying in the local areas and there is lots to see and do anyway. 

57 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Having lived in London my entire life, I still find a Western lifestyle to be cheaper here. 

Unlike the OP, the way things are done here don't really bother me that much. I can get pretty much everything I want/need  in the area in which I live (downtown Sukhumvit) and the costs compare favourably with London. 

Unlike most, I find the cultural differences and educational standards to be an impediment to any serious relationship with the local women. I'm not slagging them off because there's a lot to be said for superficial relationships but I point blank refuse to support women financially. Luckily, I'm perfectly ok with being single and happy in my own company

Ok good happy to read your point of view.

We are all not the same I am just asking the question, not have a go at any one .

just that I see now thailand is not the same place as it once was .

My thai partner tells me how lucky we are in my country Australia to have such a great life and that is coming from a thai not from me and she has live in Australia off and on in the last 16 months.

And yes I agree with you one million % I not going to support a thai women .

Archived