France - embassy contact

I've sponsored my stepson for a short stay family visit visa. We got a bit of a grilling by the TLS girl processing it who asked for documents that I thought were unnecessary given the circumstances. She accepted it even though she said it was incomplete and informed us that the embassy would probably be in touch to verify details. Anyway, they haven't and the passport is now on it's way back.

My question to any experts out there is: would the embassy reject an application out of hand or would they make contact if unsure of any point?

I'm hoping that the girl was just doing her job ticking items of a list and the application has been processed by an official at the embassy who's allowed to use discretion. However .....:(

TLScontact have no say in the processing of the application and whilst some of them like to let you think they wield some power, they don't.

As it would seem that the decision has been made, all you can do is wait.

In the unlikely event that you managed to get through to them by phone, I doubt very much if they would discuss with you.

As a matter of interest which document did the TLScontact lass think was necessary, but you didn't? Did you supply all the documents listed on the TLScontact website?

I've never known the decision maker to contact the applicant in the event of a query, they tend to make a decision based on the evidence before them, mind you just because I've never heard about them calling to verify anything, that doesn't mean they don't.

Specifically, it was a document linking my wife to her sister who's now a French citizen. I had an invite, an attest d'accuiell(sp?) and copies of all passports showing the same name and photos of everyone together over the last few years in various countries. I can't think of one except birth certs that were never issued/lost. She also wanted the boy's bank statements despite having my statements from a UK account. I'm sure I'm getting worked up over nothing but it's an anxious wait. He has a UK visa and we'll be entering from there.

A Schengen embassy may contact the applicant and ask for extra documents or ask to come in for an interview (the few questions when handing in an application are not officially seen as an interview).This would also extend the legal processing time from 15 days to 30 or 60 days (depending on if they make the decision themselves or are unable to do so and forward it to the national authorities of the memberstate concerned). But most of the time they don't and simply decide over a visa within the 15 days based on the evidence submitted.

TLS is an optional handling party (just like VFS, which most other Schengen and other embassies use), they are not mandatory and work down a check list. They have no power and their traiing seems to eb very basic (if any?). They need to forward the applicantion and that's it. In more unusual, rare or complex scenarions TLS and VFS staff often have no experience or knowledge (as can be seen from experiences shared on these and simular forums and blogs). That's one reason why I personally would go for a direct appointment at the embassy (under the Schengen rules this is a right for all applicants), following the instructions for a 'direct appointment'  (which most but not all embassies do mention, they are obligated to do so though). Usually this means making an application via e-mail to the embassy, which must be granted within 2 weeks of the request.

It could very well be that if an applicant is visiting a family member that they wish to see some evidence of this. But if you are unable to do so it makes perfect sense to either try to make this evident via other means, and even failing that it wouldn't change much. You might be concisered visiting a friend rather then a family member but for the requirements this changes nothing, except the purpose/reason for traveling. An embassy may view one or the other more or less favourable when deciding if there is risk of overstay or a genuine travel intention etc.

As for asking the bankstatement, that must be 'applicant has sufficient funds of their own'  (meaning an account in their name) on the TLS checklist...  Shouldn't be a problem either when you are all traveling together and there is obviously enough funds to cover all the costs. Not sure what the financial requirements are for France. Depending ont eh Schengen member state this could be between say 20 to 80 euro per person per day.

• Like 1