My pickup is nearly 2 yrs old. Tires...

39 minutes ago, Faz said:

The OP didn't ask about wear on his tyres, he asked when he should replace them.

If you read all the threads, you'd realise that in Thailand the rubber becomes hard and cracks after a certain period of time and is unrelated to mileage. Other factors such as the make and quality also have an effect.

I think the OP asked a reasonable question.

As foreigners we tend to look at changing tyres from a safety aspect, where a Thai will only replace tyres when it becomes a necessity.

This is true. I have one part of the tire where it is slightly cracking. This thread has been useful for me to learn more about this issue. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you have your vehicle regularly checked when being serviced the operators should be able to provide that information or at least a visual examination by yourself would give some kind of indication.

As far as myself, I have a three year old Honda CRV with 80,000 k's and still the original tyres.  Had then checked at the last service, two weeks ago and was told they're still good for at least another 20,00 clicks.  They're Bridgestone but what size other than 18" I couldn't tell you.  In 50 years of vehicle ownership I have never had such good and long lasting tyres.  Back in Oz I was lucky to get 30,000 k's sometimes as low as 25,000 with Yokahama or Pirelli that were fitted to the Holden special vehicles that I bought over the years.

Varies depending on tyre brand. But the usual replacement is around 4 - 5 years where hairline cracks will start to appear, and some tires get hard, even if the tire thread have not reach the thread wear indicator.

Look at it this way, it would cost more to fix the car/truck after a crash due to tire failure than to replace the tires once every 4 - 5 years or earlier depending on the thread wear and condition of the tires. Tires are the only contact to the ground and goes through every sort of dirty, grime, chemicals, etc.

I drive a car but I guess truck tires might have go to through a lot more during off road. 

Unless you are commuting around your house .. like under 4 km both ways, you don't need to worry much about the tires if you want to stretch the tires life.

The easiest measure is to stick a match in the tread gap. If the tread is less in height than the match head, it's time to change.

Abnormal wear on one tyre only indicates wheel alignment, or on the rear tyres shock absorber problems.

Personally, I swear by Michelins. Not expensive here, and really good roadholding even in wet conditions.

4 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

The easiest measure is to stick a match in the tread gap. If the tread is less in height than the match head, it's time to change.

Abnormal wear on one tyre only indicates wheel alignment, or on the rear tyres shock absorber problems.

Personally, I swear by Michelins. Not expensive here, and really good roadholding even in wet conditions.

Not expensive here? 

Thats great.

Best tire on the market IMO.

9 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I have a 2012 Isuzu with original tires (I think Bridgestone)  I only drive slowly short distances perhaps 75,000 kilometers to date.

I rotate the tires and check the air.

The tread looks fine but the dealer said that the tires are old enough that they should be changed regardless of tread wear.

This sounded strange but possible.

Any thoughts?

I have been told by a couple of tire shops that my tires are too old and should be replaced even tho' there is plenty of tread left.  My neighbor told me the same thing back when we were still talking to each other.

9 hours ago, rapom said:

A US  Penny is the only coin that works as you suggest.

That is true technically if you want to be right on the money.  But we are in Thailand and the poster might not be a American. One can still use another country coin and you will not be too far off or one can wait until they find a penny, by that time it might be too late?

On 18/08/2016 at 4:15 AM, MYKTHEMIN said:

complete rubbish, they all squeal from new on the crap tarmac here.

I save all the squeals and squeaks, put them in a box and when I have enough, I sell them to Ford for their brakes.  :coffee1:

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That is true technically if you want to be right on the money.  But we are in Thailand and the poster might not be a American. One can still use another country coin and you will not be too far off or one can wait until they find a penny, by that time it might be too late?

Technically, I have never used a coin to check tire tread wear.  Never needed one, I just use my eyes.  My father owned an auto repair shop and I started repairing flat tires at the age of 13 and have probably fixed more flats and mounted more tires before, I went to college than all or most TV members combined.  But if you think that there are other minted coins that have heads on them that are exactly the same distance from the edge as a US Penny, then use one. 

22 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I have a 2012 Isuzu with original tires (I think Bridgestone)  I only drive slowly short distances perhaps 75,000 kilometers to date.

The tread looks fine but the dealer said that the tires are old enough that they should be changed regardless of tread wear.

Any thoughts?

Only done 16k in 4 years from new in a Vios, dealer days the same (goodyear). Even the unused spare is no longer good, heat appears to do them in long before the tread goes.

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

bazza40  ,  Ive placed matches into the treads of all my tires.  Now my trucks on fire !.    :facepalm:

Where did I say you should light the matches? Never mind, I'm sure your insurance company will believe your explanation.:rolleyes:

19 hours ago, rapom said:

Technically, I have never used a coin to check tire tread wear.  Never needed one, I just use my eyes.  My father owned an auto repair shop and I started repairing flat tires at the age of 13 and have probably fixed more flats and mounted more tires before, I went to college than all or most TV members combined.  But if you think that there are other minted coins that have heads on them that are exactly the same distance from the edge as a US Penny, then use one. 

Here is how I look at this... just answering the guys question... I too technically do not need to use a coin.  There are two rules of thumb when owning a car that I feel I have some control?  And that is tires and a battery.  These two rules come from when I was very young and use to travel to the snow country.  On two occasion had a flat and a dead battery out in no mans land.Those days no cell phone and if you had to walk miles to look for help in freezing weather it changes things. The thing I change is make sure I have good tires and change my battery every two years regardless.  " I went to college than all or most TV members combined  "  that is a pretty bold statement to make.

There are hundred of minted coins available if it is a method one needs to use.. take a US penny, then take a Thai five baht with HM on it. place it together, not much different from the naked eye?  it is not rocket science nor does one have to go to college to figure it out? 

This is a situation if I say it cost $1.00, another person says NO, you are wrong the cost is .99 cents.

ghworker2010,

first question you should ask yourself is why your tires have different wearings. All tires should have the same certainly on the same drive shaft. I think you have to take your car to the shop and let it checked.

I guess you bought the car new so you should know if you hit a curb or something because that can probably the cause of your deflating tire. Or you have a little puncture in it. Easy to check if you take of the wheel and put it in water.

You haven't told us how many kms you driven with the tires but if they needed to be changed already after 2 y i think that is way to fast. If you don't drive 20-25.000 kms or more a year. Here in Belgium we say we have good tires if they last 40-50.000 kms, or sometimes even more if you drive carefully. But i think in hot countries the wearing will be faster because of the heat.

Mostly the tires what came with the car are aproved by the manifacturer and should be the best for the car so i guess they are the best option. Except when the peoples inhere giving you good tips about their tires. Personal experience is mostly  the best advice.

Regards,

If a tyre is deflating it may just want repairing. If the tread is good on the tyres be aware of the handling on wet roads, if your vehicle slides about a little this would indicate tyres that should be replaced.

My Isuzu is fitted with Bridgestone Duellars which work well for me.

2 hours ago, Foexie said:

ghworker2010,

first question you should ask yourself is why your tires have different wearings. All tires should have the same certainly on the same drive shaft. I think you have to take your car to the shop and let it checked.

I guess you bought the car new so you should know if you hit a curb or something because that can probably the cause of your deflating tire. Or you have a little puncture in it. Easy to check if you take of the wheel and put it in water.

You haven't told us how many kms you driven with the tires but if they needed to be changed already after 2 y i think that is way to fast. If you don't drive 20-25.000 kms or more a year. Here in Belgium we say we have good tires if they last 40-50.000 kms, or sometimes even more if you drive carefully. But i think in hot countries the wearing will be faster because of the heat.

Mostly the tires what came with the car are aproved by the manifacturer and should be the best for the car so i guess they are the best option. Except when the peoples inhere giving you good tips about their tires. Personal experience is mostly  the best advice.

Regards,

I guess some vehicle owners have never heard of caster, camber, toe-in,  miss aligned independent rear suspension, and under or over-inflated tires.  If any of these are not to specs they  can all cause abnormal tire wear.  

On 19/08/2016 at 9:09 AM, TravelerEastWest said:

Any thoughts?

Yes, the rubber gets hard and you have less grip over time.

Contrary to nearly every post on here, having tyres that last 6 years and 100,000 kms is NOT good, unless you're cheap and don't care about your tyres having good traction.

In my opinion tyres here are far too hard when new, they last far too long and generally fall apart before half worn out, quite ridiculous really, I had Michelins on my Pajero when new and at 114000 one exploded no warning at all but still 5mm tread, checked the others at 120000 and all three no longer round but with loads of tread left, will never buy Michelin here , I would rather they were softer and last say 70000 with tread woen down to minimum, they would also grip better in the wet.

2 hours ago, MYKTHEMIN said:

In my opinion tyres here are far too hard when new, they last far too long and generally fall apart before half worn out, quite ridiculous really, I had Michelins on my Pajero when new and at 114000 one exploded no warning at all but still 5mm tread, checked the others at 120000 and all three no longer round but with loads of tread left, will never buy Michelin here , I would rather they were softer and last say 70000 with tread woen down to minimum, they would also grip better in the wet.

I would bet a Leo that your Michelin tire did not just blow out without something causing it too.  Radial tires have less rolling resistance than bias-ply tires and they are often driven unknowingly,  with low air pressure which causes the tire to get hot.  I once had a customer that made this same claim, telling me "it just blew put" When I took the tire off the rim, It had a nail in it big enough to nail together two 2X4's.  On the inside of the tire, you could see some deterioration of the side-wall. The result of having a puncture, driving on a deflating tire causes excessive heat and "bam".  Also, getting 114,000 kms (over 70,000 miles) from any tire is extremely rare, except when only driven on well-paved highways, at normal speeds and with proper inflation.

Edited by rapom
edit

No damage, I check them regularly, the carcass failed and fell apart, my old pickup went nearly 200000 on 1 set of tyres, they are just too hard, my friend did the same with his pickup. Tyres here do crazy mileage due to being too hard and generally the side walls fail before the tread is half worn in my experience, back in UK my tyres would be lucky to do 40000 before being worn out and never had a carcass failure there

7 hours ago, transam said:

Michelin guaranty their tyres for 3 years on the shelf THEN 6 years on the ride, a possible 9 years..

I had a pair of Michelin on my truck for 7 years, they did 80,000km.

Most tire manufacturers guarantee their tires against manufacturer defects, Some even have a mileage guarantee. A tire dealer may offer free flat repairs to the buyer as an incentive to the buyer. But unless a tire manufacturer has a 100% replacement guarantee for road hazards, they are not going to replace a tire that is ruined by driving on it flat 

• 3 weeks later...

Tyres on my truck are 5 years old, done 50,000km. Some small cracks visible, but none on the walls.

Is it time to change? If so, how much should I expect to pay? I see lots of buy 3, get 1 free deals. Some people say 16,000B for all 4, some say 2000B a tyre. I've had Bridgestones on so far, would prefer something a bit softer. Loads of tread and just about dead (I think).

On 8/19/2016 at 0:13 PM, Faz said:

The OP didn't ask about wear on his tyres, he asked when he should replace them.

If you read all the threads, you'd realise that in Thailand the rubber becomes hard and cracks after a certain period of time and is unrelated to mileage. Other factors such as the make and quality also have an effect.

I think the OP asked a reasonable question.

As foreigners we tend to look at changing tyres from a safety aspect, where a Thai will only replace tyres when it becomes a necessity.

Also, it is not unknown to have OEM tires fitted from stock that are a year (or more) older than the new vehicle that they are fitted to. One may have a 5 year-old, low mileage truck but the tires may already be approaching the tire manufacturers own 6-year, use-by date. There's a date of manufacture stamp on the tire wall, see below (not from my truck) where the last 4 digits on the right represent week and year of manufacture.

DoT Code.jpg

For example, I bought my current truck in March 2015 but the tires were manufactured in week 44 of 2014 so are about 4-5 months older than the truck itself. It's the same stamp one should check when getting 'a steal of a deal' when shopping for new treads.