British Mum in Coma After 'Something She Ate in Pattaya'

webfact

3 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

I would think severe allergic reaction........but at that age one should know what is harmful, strange.

Age is irrelevant, an allergy can hit you at any stage in your life.

It is not unusual for someone to suddenly become allergic to something they have eaten on a regular basis all their life.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, PattayaBoy said:

Very strange case, if food was bad, means others wopuld get sick too, most likely, guess she is alergic to something.

Definitely,  ofcourse I was not there at the moment but it can give a very heavy reaction, and when reconize, only an emergency injection with adrenaline will help.

I have a son with peanuts alergic, and I know what can happens.

4 hours ago, Guitar God said:

The connection between a sore throat and seizures, and something she ate in Pattaya is tenuous. 

my thoughts exactly. An allergic reaction and a stent in the heart seems a strange combination.

Thai food is great. However, it is the preparation of the food that is sometimes the problem. In my 50 years of eating Thai food, I have had the equivalent of food poisoning about 10 times-  2 of which were life threatening.  And it is not whether the eatery is in a  5 star hotel or on the street.  I have had problems with both locales. As one of the posters indicated- cross contamination and just plain poor standards in a kitchen can cause food poisoning.  As a precaution, I always have a ready supply of  an antibiotic and other needed meds just in case.

I hope she is able to recover- food poisoning or an allergic reaction is serious business.

3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Thai food is great. However, it is the preparation of the food that is sometimes the problem. In my 50 years of eating Thai food, I have had the equivalent of food poisoning about 10 times-  2 of which were life threatening.  And it is not whether the eatery is in a  5 star hotel or on the street.  I have had problems with both locales. As one of the posters indicated- cross contamination and just plain poor standards in a kitchen can cause food poisoning.  As a precaution, I always have a ready supply of  an antibiotic and other needed meds just in case.

I hope she is able to recover- food poisoning or an allergic reaction is serious business.

hmmm no nice way to say this but it does sound like you have poor hygene habits. No other way to explain it really

5 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...luxury hotel....

...another horror.....

...scrutinize foreigners.....

..seems we never can pay enough.....

..now will they be cleaned out of their life savings too to pay for the medical bills....

..you'd think that all these victims were without country considering what their governments do to protect them....

You must get out of the wrong side of the bed every day.

4 hours ago, Catoni said:

"... her heart stopped, starving her brain of oxygen for eleven minutes."

The brain can survive for up to about six minutes after the heart stops. The reason to learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is that if CPR is started within six minutes of cardiac arrest, the brain may survive the lack of oxygen. After about six minutes without CPR, however, the brain begins to die.

If her brain was indeed starved of oxygen for eleven minutes, as stated in the report, then the prognosis is very grim.  

She may be little more than an alive body, with no mind left... like a house.... with nobody home.

What they used to call a "vegetable".   Brain dead.   Very sad...  

Yes six minutes is all we have in aviation maintenance to get oxygen masks deployed and supplying oxygen to the passengers on average oxygen masks are deployed and supplying oxygen in under 2-minutes. Not much hope for this poor woman.

When a person goes to a restaurant or eats food away from their home and gets food poisoning it is the restaurant or food seller that has poor hygiene habits.  If a person cooks their own food and then gets sick- then that person is responsible for the hygiene. Each time I have been ill- someone else cooked the food and was responsible for maintaining a proper hygienic workplace. The customer normally does not enter a restaurant's kitchen to peruse their food preparation or determine how long meat/fish has been exposed to the elements or use a food thermometer to measure the  heat of items being cooked.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How exactly do you avoid "dodgy" Thai food in Thailand>>>

Meat that's been hanging around all day in warm temperatures..
Vegetables that are well passed their best condition
Cooking facilities that leave a lot to be desired
Utensils and cooking pots that have probably not been cleaned properly
work surfaces that have only been given a quick wipe with a dirty rag
Ohh and the best of the bunch.. cross contamination
if you have an allergy Thailand is not the best choice to visit.. 

you could go on the list is endless

Dishes and pots cleaned in the gutter in Chiang Mai.I eat at home,a lot.

1 hour ago, ToS2014 said:

she was at a hospital and went without O2 for 11 minutes? just don't sound right but this is....well I'll leave that alone.  best wishes to her and her family!

She could have been on O2 all the time but as her heart wasn't beating it wouldn't reach the brain. 

After 6 minutes the brain deteriorates rapidly, I hope she recovers but even if she does it will be a long path. 

Can go on about CPR and stuff but it doesn't help her now. 

Sad story. 

2 hours ago, Chicog said:

That was BS as well.

Check to see if she's got an enlarged heart.

As well!

so you obviously think your post was BS. Tick here.

If it was to have any serious meaning in the context of this thread, you should have posted a link to the subject you were dreaming about, although having an enlarged heart seems an unlikely culprit for this poor ladies untimely demise.

>What concerns me is she collapsed, in hospital, and yet she suffered a lack of oxygen for 11 minutes, what were the doctors doing, or not doing<.

Being  ambulanced to a hospital  due to a debilitative  condition presented initially  for a sore throat  and then suddenly  multiple  siezures.. ( heart or  epileptic ? ) emergency action which  may have included  CPR initially  and/ or defibrillation following heart arrest could  easily be beyond the threshold of oxygen depletion of the  brain and not due to any lack of  effort by  medical staff.

The initial symptoms may be caused by  any number of sources including exposure before travel, during, or after arrival in Thailand.

Speculation is  void considering there is  no  specific detail as  to cause.

All that can or should be expressed is  some sympathy  for the  husband .

Don't like to comment on this but seems like an allergy, even probably to one of the drugs administered [antibio]. That may happens with any of them.

She should have been monitored, so when the heart stops beating, a sound warns nurses who should immediately defibrillate her.

If she was, 11 minutes response time is way too long.

Wishing her recovery.

10 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Ever think that just perhaps they were trying but couldn't get her breathing again for 11 minutes?

Um, there's something called resusitation, even simple first aid teaches it.

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

>What concerns me is she collapsed, in hospital, and yet she suffered a lack of oxygen for 11 minutes, what were the doctors doing, or not doing<.

Being  ambulanced to a hospital  due to a debilitative  condition presented initially  for a sore throat  and then suddenly  multiple  siezures.. ( heart or  epileptic ? ) emergency action which  may have included  CPR initially  and/ or defibrillation following heart arrest could  easily be beyond the threshold of oxygen depletion of the  brain and not due to any lack of  effort by  medical staff.

The initial symptoms may be caused by  any number of sources including exposure before travel, during, or after arrival in Thailand.

Speculation is  void considering there is  no  specific detail as  to cause.

All that can or should be expressed is  some sympathy  for the  husband .

Even simple first aid teaches heart massage and mouth to mouth resusitation, how on earth can this fail in a hospital, if a heart stops there are actions to be taken, you comment is rubbish. Geez 11 minutes without oxygen, in a hospital, stay away from this hospital.

Siezure def: a sudden attack of illness, especially a stroke or an epileptic fit.

Notice no heart mentioned.

Stroke def: A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of your brain is interrupted or severely reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen and nutrients. Within minutes, brain cells begin to die. A stroke is a medical emergency.

10 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Even simple first aid teaches heart massage and mouth to mouth resusitation, how on earth can this fail in a hospital, if a heart stops there are actions to be taken, you comment is rubbish. Geez 11 minutes without oxygen, in a hospital, stay away from this hospital.

Siezure def: a sudden attack of illness, especially a stroke or an epileptic fit.

Notice no heart mentioned.

Stroke def: A stroke occurs when the blood supply to part of your brain is interrupted or severely reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen and nutrients. Within minutes, brain cells begin to die. A stroke is a medical emergency.

Sometimes people die in hospitals. Even in First World countries.

If you believe that street food vendors trow away left overs, and do not sell it again and again..you are wrong. Pepper in any form can masquerade the smell and the taste of most rotten meats, specially in soups. Fish cannot be eaten after being defrosted and refrigerated again, and its is common to see vendors exposing raw fish products all day under the sun.  Not controlled farmed pork meat can be dangerous to eat if not cooked properly.

I am cook, and rarely eat meats and soups at street vendors.

12 hours ago, Chapelroad said:

Age is irrelevant, an allergy can hit you at any stage in your life.

It is not unusual for someone to suddenly become allergic to something they have eaten on a regular basis all their life.

Wow, thanks for info, good to know.

There is no black and white "5 minutes and you're dead" rule - it depends a lot on circumstances....as we only hae the media to go on and a series of rather pitiful announcements from the hospital, I would think it is more a case of wait an see....if of course it is bad news the hospital is unlikely to make a big announcement and there will be no review of how this case has been handled.

7 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Sometimes people die in hospitals. Even in First World countries.

Is that the best you can xay, to justify your comment, it's  like a priest saying God works in misterious ways... a total cop out.

14 hours ago, Thaidream said:

When a person goes to a restaurant or eats food away from their home and gets food poisoning it is the restaurant or food seller that has poor hygiene habits.  If a person cooks their own food and then gets sick- then that person is responsible for the hygiene. Each time I have been ill- someone else cooked the food and was responsible for maintaining a proper hygienic workplace. The customer normally does not enter a restaurant's kitchen to peruse their food preparation or determine how long meat/fish has been exposed to the elements or use a food thermometer to measure the  heat of items being cooked.

I find you very patient and civilized, Thaidream, to reply so cooly and matter-of-factly to Mcfish's incredibly rude and idiotic comment on your earlier post. You made it very clear on your post that the food poisonings you'd been through in Thailand occured in restaurants, and he then suggested you had poor hygiene ... It's something that often bothers me on this Forum : people reacting - sometimes in a very unpleasant manner - to a post they obviously haven't really read, or understood. They'll take the time to write, but not the time to read. I guess these Narcissus types read only their own posts.