Phra Kring

camerata

Someone recently gave me one of the popular Phra Kring (or Phra Phairi Phinat) amulets - the ones that rattle. Here's some info on Phra Kring:

Among the Thai public, 'Phra Phairi Phinat' is a name given to the Phra Kring, (the Bell Buddha that rattles or makes a little bell-like sound) and amulets featuring a Buddha in vara mudra made by Bovorn Nivet Viharn Temple in celebration of the 80th birthday anniversary of HRH Prince Vajirananavamsa, the supreme Patriarch in 1953 and includes others that have been reproduced many times since then.

The image is a reproduction of a stone Buddha image that was bestowed to King Rama IV when he was a monk at Bovorn Niwet Viharn temple before his accession to the throne. At present the Phra Phairi Phinat is enshrined in a northern niche of the principal stupa of the temple. The image features a seated Buddha in Vajrasana position and in the attitude of Vara Mudra. Possessing an artistic style similar to that of Java art, this image represents Ratnasambhava Buddha of the south, one of the five Dhayani Buddhas of Mahayana Buddhism.

The name 'Phairi Phinat' (fall of an enemy) was given by King Rama IV who received this Buddha image during the time when one who plotted to destroy him was destroyed instead. For this reason, the reproduction of Phairi Phinat amulet become popular among collectors as it is believed that it would protect them from malevolence in the same way that the original did.

Interesting that one of Thailand's very popular amulets represents a Mahayana Buddha.

I don't know about the regular ones because mine was a gift. But I believe amulets from the original batch that was blessed by the the Supreme Patriarch go for huge sums. I wonder how a collector can be sure his expensive Phra Kring was really blessed by the Supreme Patriarch?

I wonder how a collector can be sure his expensive Phra Kring was really blessed by the Supreme Patriarch?

I think the Thais believe these things contain magical powers. I have seen people assess the 'magical potency' of the Phra Krueng by the warmth it makes in the hand. But not everyone can detect it !! Only people with sensitivity in these things can detect it. So, to answer your question, someone sensitive and receptive to these magical energies can recognise a 'true' or original or blessed Pra Krueng. Sounds like BS huh? Personally I am sitting on the fence on this matter, until I get some proof.

BTW, why do you call it a Pra Kring? I never heard of that before.

BTW, why do you call it a Pra Kring? I never heard of that before.

This type of amulet is supposed to make a ringing sound when you shake it. Actually, it's more like a rattling sound. There is a little ball of something inside. Possibly there are many types of Phra Kring, as Sabaijai said, but the 'Phra Phairi Phinat' is the only one I've come across so far.

It is interesting regarding the Mahayana influence in Thailand. Kwanyin is becoming very popular with shrines located in many Theravada Wats. There are also esoteric type influences, especially outside the capital. And then there are the Bramanical influences which seem to be even stronger.

Bankei