Need New Camera

markuk

hey guys looking for some info here, i am no expert.

I have been using a Canon digital camera for about 2 1/2 years now and have been very happy with the camera itself, the only thing that lets it down is the support from Canon in Thailand which i find to be extremely slow.

We have broken the camera twice our own fault. We have repaired once and now again i need to repair. They are quoting 4k baht to repair so i am thinking that after this time the money may be better spent towards a new camera.

Would love a digital SLR but i am not really that much of a photographer so dont know if i will go to the expense of that. Would like to know your recomendations etc, just your average camera user, holidays, outdoor pics, family pics etc.

Cheers

Digital SLRs have come down a *LOT* in recent years. You can get a popular one (the 400D) for around 39k here, with lens. DSLRs have some great advantages over point-and-shoots, such as much less noise, instantaneous response, excellent picture quality, lense choice, and manual settings. Disadvantages are bulk, lack of live LCD, price (of lenses), and lack of movie mode. The thing about buying a DSLR is that you usually end up spending a lot on add-ons (especially lenses). The cost of my lenses is actually more than what I paid for the DSLR.

Of course, if you don't really care much about photography, you don't really need a DSLR. If that's the case, then the Canon 800IS is a great camera with image stabilization (but yes, it's a Canon... but Canons *are* good).

Agreed with Firefoxx in every way. Entry-level dSLR price has come down quite dramatically but the kit lens which usually come with them are too crappy that high-end compact digicams can sometimes yield better picture quality than dSLR with a kit lens, although this segment of the market is fast shrinking because of the affordability of the cheap dSLR. But I am in an opinion that there's really not much point of buying SLR be it film or digital if you aren't willing to invest in some good lenses, which are almost sure to cost more than the entry-level dSLR bodies.

For a high-spec compact I would recommend just-released Canon's PowerShot G7 (with image stabilizer which is a great feature previously only available to expensive SLR lenses) and Sony's CyberShot R1 (while the stock lasts) that comes with non-interchangeable but excellent zoom lens, though R1 is pretty bulky that it's as big as most cheap dSLR (if not bigger). I don't like the way Sony sells R1 (or any other product) in Thailand and I think it's overpriced here (though the price has come down to 40,000 Baht range).

Edited by Nordlys

cheers guys nearly went for the Canon G7 but settled on the Powershot A640, theres not much difference in price and the A640 also has 10MP. Picked it up at emporium for 14k which i think is ok.

Seems ok and will try and update as i use it beauty is the controls are familiar from the old A75 that i had.

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Fi...PowerShot_A640/

• 2 weeks later...

I guess everyone here really loves Cannon. I've always been with Nikon myself. I use pro Nikon gear but they do have some excellent quality DSLR choices that are not so expensive, certainly less than US $1,000. You might try taking a look at the Nikon D50, D70 or D80. These are more entry level DSLR's without all the features of a pro camera, but high megapixel output and great quality in color rendition, plus all the advantages of changing a real lens and learning or shooting serious photography.

I don't knock Cannon, but I would make a comparison between pricing and features between that line and the 2-digit Nikon D series. The Nikon 3-digit series are more pro and more expensive, so I'm not talking about those. You might even pick up a D50 as little as $600, for example.

Don't pay too much for any brand though, dont let them fool you with megapixels. A quality camera with a quality CD sensor does not require high MP to produce quality output. I shoot with a D2H that is "only" 4.2 MP, and produce sharp, high quality output up to 20X16 inches all the time. But for ordinary use, I would say anything 6MP or higher is fine for most people. You have to QUADRUPLE the MP to get TWICE the resolution, so theres not reallly much diffference between 6 and 8 MP.

I point this out so you don't spend money where you don't need to. However, if you DONT have a true DSLR, then MP might be a little more important, because those small consumer instamatic type cameras are using MP for all the quality they can get, since they dont have good glass or intensive CCD sensors for a brain.

Keep in mind also the more MP you have, the more memory and CPU intensive your computer will have to be in order to process those shots, load them into Photoshop, etc.

But if you really just want snapshots, stay away from DSLR and get a 10 MP pocket digital, for the LEAST money you can find. Because with small instamatic type digital cameras, after the MP's, there's just not much else worth paying for. I see some of the pocket cameras costing ALMOST as much as entry level DSLR like the Nikon D50. So why would anyone do that?

Good luck,

Christian

I know you've already purchased, but for people in the future please don't overlook the Fuji F10,11-20, 30....this little P&S beats everything else out there hands down. The newest version has manual controls as well. I shoot regularly with a 5K US plus camera, but we always also have this little guy on us...people look too much at MP's...they forget about low light performance and other things. This camera is amazing for the price and size.

Work your way to a DSLR though....you'll never go back.

Paul

i am sure the next one will be a dslr but for now stuck with what i have got!

i am also looking for the smallest / cheapest digital camera that can be used as a second camera, one small enough to fit in pocket etc (A640 too big) somethign really basic any ideas in Thailand?