Power poles down in Bang Plee - one seriously injured and 32 vehicles damaged in 2 km stretch

Jonathan Fairfield

Power poles down in Bang Plee - one seriously injured and 32 vehicles damaged in 2 km stretch

s3.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK:-- A violent storm yesterday afternoon brought a two kilometer stretch of power poles down in the Bang Plee area east of Bangkok.

One person was seriously injured and 32 cars and bikes were damaged in Soi Thanasit, Samut Prakarn. Some 4,000 houses and factories were expected to be without power for at least 24 hours.

The storm hit mid afternoon and one driver, Worawut Sakatklang, 26, in a Vigo recounted a very lucky escape. "I saw the poles swaying in the wind and I thought to myself this does not look good," he said. "So I jumped out and ran".

His cab was crushed moments later as a power pole flattened it.

One man, Arthit Meuanthep, 37, was hit by the poles and was in a serious condition. He was treated by medics at the scene before being sent to hospital.

Thirty cars and two motorcycles were damaged. Householders found access to their properties difficult as drivers started mounting the footpath to get out of the area.

Police cordoned off the whole soi for about three hours while electricity authorities said that they expected some 4,000 factories and houses to be without power for at least 24 hours.

Source: Sanook News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-16

1 hour ago, clockman said:

No not the storm, crap work standards. See these poles leaning all over the place,In Thailand. Accidents waiting to happen.!

Agreed. Properly erected concrete poles, properly concreted in ought to withstand a reasonable earthquake and a severe bleen.

Not in Thailand. You see the words 'properly'?

Winnie

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Surprised 32 people didn't get electrocuted. Anyone call the Polish embassy? :w00t:

Somtamnication

what is  amazing is that there are no fatalities as a result of electrocution. with the falling polls, some live wires might have come naked. was the supply source to cut off to minimise damage?

16 hours ago, clockman said:

No not the storm, crap work standards. See these poles leaning all over the place,In Thailand. Accidents waiting to happen.!

Here is a educated guess: there were 50 metric tons of wire in the 2 km more than the poles could stand up and half of it was most likely old wire that was never taken down. 

20 hours ago, clockman said:

They replaced a high voltage pole opposite my place some time ago. The pole in question is 12 meter long, and they dropped it less than 1 meter in the ground, without pouring any concrete around, or placing tension cables.

The first time it rained it leaned over dangerously, they came back and dropped a piece of the old pole that was still laying around in the same hole.

On 8/17/2016 at 0:06 PM, Berty100 said:

They replaced a high voltage pole opposite my place some time ago. The pole in question is 12 meter long, and they dropped it less than 1 meter in the ground, without pouring any concrete around, or placing tension cables.

The first time it rained it leaned over dangerously, they came back and dropped a piece of the old pole that was still laying around in the same hole.

Ah. Thainess. Must... use... initiative... Close... enough... is... good... enough... Anyway, it's up isn't it? Don't be so picky, nothing lasts forever.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu