Butter from Bakery Mart Chiangmai with Vanilla Taste ???

aquario33

Hi, everybody.

Since we use to make our Ghee for cooking and fry etc . at home, finally we found that Bakery Mart in Chiangmai which sells butter in wholesale for reasonable price.

But, apparently the butter is flavored with vanilla , which is undesired and unpleasant. Any suggestions from somebody with same experience ??

Its a bit disgusting...

You're not going to find any Thai brand of real butter.  They're all (AFAIK) a foul tasting chemical concoction of imported butter oil, emulsifiers and glub knows what.

Elle & Vivre sells high quality butter for baking in Thailand - lower moisture content than regular butter.  However, not sure where you'd find it in Chiang Mai.  In Bangkok Gourmet Market stocks it.

On 17.8.2016 at 2:25 PM, Oxx said:

You're not going to find any Thai brand of real butter.  They're all (AFAIK) a foul tasting chemical concoction of imported butter oil, emulsifiers and glub knows what.

Exactly, this so called butter, is mostly made from cheap palm-oil (which results in this crappy "vanilla" taste).

I use it only for sweet cakes etc.

If I need "real butter", I usually make it myself from "Foremost" whipping cream, which claims to be a 100% dairy product.

(At least this homemade butter tastes and smells like butter).

Edited by retoocs01

7 hours ago, retoocs01 said:

If I need "real butter", I usually make it myself from "Foremost" whipping cream, which claims to be a 100% dairy product

I don't know if the Foremost cream has a list of ingredients on the box, but I suspect it bears little relationship to real cream.

A few years ago I looked at the ingredients for Foremost "sour cream" - a long list of things was there, and none of them was "cream".  Since then I've never bought anything by Foremost.

Edited by Oxx

On 26.8.2016 at 7:21 AM, Oxx said:

I don't know if the Foremost cream has a list of ingredients on the box, but I suspect it bears little relationship to real cream.

You probably suspecting wrong.

I've checked the "list" of ingredients on the carton and it says 100% cow milk.

Additionally, I guess making butter from crappy oils will definitely fail...

a676367743d84d044ad0ee00bfc0212b.png

Edited by retoocs01

On 8/17/2016 at 2:25 PM, Oxx said:

Elle & Vivre sells high quality butter for baking in Thailand - lower moisture content than regular butter.  However, not sure where you'd find it in Chiang Mai.  In Bangkok Gourmet Market stocks it.

i was assuming that once heated , the remaining result is ghee or butter oil. and thats what it seems to be. it really turns into a clear oily substance which hardens in the fridge.the only strange thing is the smell ....i had once a mix with margarine and it didnt work out, but thats not the case now.

On 8/26/2016 at 0:05 AM, retoocs01 said:

Exactly, this so called butter, is mostly made from cheap palm-oil (which results in this crappy "vanilla" taste).

I use it only for sweet cakes etc.

If I need "real butter", I usually make it myself from "Foremost" whipping cream, which claims to be a 100% dairy product.

(At least this homemade butter tastes and smells like butter).

can you give some advice for recipe please, thanks