Cannot Restore Laptop To Factory Settings

chiangrai

I just nought a new laptop.

I orered it in the shop,gave the guy an SSD and  a genuine copy of Windows 8.1

and told the guy to install them when the machine commes.

I collected the machine today and brought it home.

The first thing I tried to do was restore it to factory settings so that I know

what is happening.

Factory restore says that some files are missing.Your Windows installation or recovery media

will provide these files.

What has the Thai guy done and what do I do about it.

There are only 6 programs installed.

1-some chinese browser

2-DAEMON tools lite

3-drive pack notifier

4-elan filter driver

5-kmspice

6-Realtek high definition.

I don't have a DVD fungtion and the Windows is on DVD

Not hard to guess at all. He utilised a well know 'permanent activation patch' in order to activate Windows. So many on this forum are patently dishonest as to whether they are running genuine Windows or not and won't answer a direct question as to the provenance of their installation media. Therefore rendering any attempts at troubleshooting far more difficult. So many time wasters here.

Just now, chiangrai said:

The version of Windows is brand new,bought from INVADEIT last week,

costing 4000bht

He didn't install your DVD with it's product key.. He installed a hooky copy using an activation 'patch'.. Let's hope that he didn't steal the key and use it for something else.

Which version is indicated on your DVD?

2 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

O.k...

He was humming and hawing saying something in Thai about how he was used to Windows Pro and it took him time to figure this out.

I will go back to him and try to straighten this out

Here we go again with the obfuscation.....

What exactly is written on your media?

You dont need a DVD drive to install Windows 8.1

You dont need a crappy technician either.

Go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media to create your own 8.1 installation media on a USB key. You can do this using the new PC.

At the same time download all the latest 8.1 drivers from the manufacturer's website and save them to another USB key.

Perform a clean install and use the activation key on your DVD for installation.

Edited by KittenKong

Download your media from here using your key and choose the option to install to another PC. Download the image and utilise the Media Creation Tool to create bootable installation media on to an 8GB or more USB Flash drive.

Then you can install easily by yourself, without the pirated crap they they insist on installing for you.

As you can see, many of these Thai techs are just clowns.

I've sent a link via PM to indicate what he has utilised with your machine.

When you buy a new laptop it usually has a hidden partition with a copy of windows how it left the factory (drivers setup etc). When you do a factory restore, thats what it uses.

If you have instructed the computer guy to wipe it clean and install your windows, then a factory restore probably wont work.

is that what you mean by factory restore ? 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

When you buy a new laptop it usually has a hidden partition with a copy of windows how it left the factory (drivers setup etc). When you do a factory restore, thats what it uses.

If you have instructed the computer guy to wipe it clean and install your windows, then a factory restore probably wont work.

is that what you mean by factory restore ? 

He bought a laptop with no OS. Therefore with no restore partition.

Just now, Jiu-Jitsu said:

He bought a laptop with no OS. Therefore with no restore partition.

So wont be able to do factory restore.  DAEMON tools lite sounds like a virtual dvd drive, there is probably an ISO of the windows disk still in the machine.

Just now, Peterw42 said:

So wont be able to do factory restore.  DAEMON tools lite sounds like a virtual dvd drive, there is probably an ISO of the windows disk still in the machine.

The Tech used a crack to activate Windows. The OP needs to install cleanly with certified media and a genuine key. Try to keep up with the thread, instead of going off at a tangent.

I bought a computer with a hard drive and Windows 10.

I got the guy to take those out and to put in an SSD and windows 8.1.

By factory restore I mean go to Change PC Settings

Update and recovery

Restore this computer to                 factory               settings

15 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

The Tech used a crack to activate Windows. The OP needs to install cleanly with certified media and a genuine key. Try to keep up with the thread, instead of going off at a tangent.

Its not a tangent, the OP can use daemon tools to do a fresh install using his windows. if the tech left an ISO on the machine.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not a tangent, the OP can use daemon tools to do a fresh install using his windows. if the tech left an ISO on the machine.

What are you talking? How do you know that the Tech has utilised the OP's genuine image? You don't, do you? The 'Tech' has utilised a rogue KMS solution to activate a Core OEM image? Is that what you think? You really should stop to think before you post.

The OP needs to run a clean install, deleting the partition and formatting the SSD. Anything else is just stupid.

5 minutes ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

How do you know that the Tech has utilised the OP's genuine image?

Nobody knows 100% what the tech guy did. The OP needs to figure out if it is the genuine one or not. If it isn't then he needs to do a fresh install and hopefully the activation code wil still work.

Edited by Rob13

Just now, Rob13 said:

Nobody knows 100% what the tech guy did. The OP needs to figure out if it is the genuine one or not. If it isn't then he needs to do a fresh install and hope the activation code still works.

You too?

I know exactly what the Thai 'tech' did. The clues are in the very first post.