Cannot Restore Laptop To Factory Settings

chiangrai

4 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

It's likely but not being there, can't be sure.

Are you actually this obtuse or are you joking?

if I state that I know what he has done, do you imagine that I am making it up.

What you mean is that you do not know. We are not the same.

So please do not repeat the same silly statement. Once again, I'll reiterate for you. The clues are in the very first post.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Just now, Chicog said:

Has this laptop not got a Recovery Partition?

And dare I say it, has the OP read the manual to see how to restore the system image (if it does)?

And does he even know what a Windows Key looks like?

Please peruse the thread before asking questions that have already been covered. the thread isn't that long. ;)

2 minutes ago, khundon said:

I bet the winter evenings just fly

Winter? What has that to do with anything?

Do you have something relevant to the OP's issue or are you just trolling? How about you just get lost if you don't?

1 hour ago, chiangrai said:

Where exactly is the activation key.

The activation key (25 digit) will be on the sticker on the CD sleeve inside the cover.

If you mean where it is on your computer, one of the easiest ways to see it is to install an auditing program. i would recommend something like Belarc Advisor (link below) as a very good free auditor. Look under software licences when it has audited your computer, latest version i believe is 8.5c.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html 

Worse case scenario; if the activation code is spent and the tech guy's not co-operating, the OP can probably get  a new one  off Ebay for about 15 or 20 bucks; 

I'm wondering who has the original HDD that came with the laptop

Edited by Rob13

1 hour ago, Rob13 said:

Worse case scenario; if the activation code is spent and the tech guy's not co-operating, the OP can probably get  a new one  off Ebay for about 15 or 20 bucks; 

I'm wondering who has the original HDD that came with the laptop

The OP bought a laptop with Windows 10 installed to an HDD. But they want to have an SSD installed. They also have genuine Windows 8.1 64 bit media and product key. So, he enlisted a Thai technician to remove the HDD, replace it with  the SSD and then to install the genuine Windows 8.1 64 bit media.

But what happened is that the Thai tech instead downloaded a dodgy media image that is activated with KMSpico and utilised it to install and activate Windows to the OP's machine.  The typical Asian way. Harsh but true.

A half decent/honest tech would either download the correct image from Microsoft's servers and use the genuine product key supplied in order to activate it or simply utilise an external DVD in order to install.

If it were actually an image of the OP's media, he could have simply activated with the OP's genuine key. But instead he chose to utilise a crack. So it looks as if either he wanted to keep the genuine key for himself or that the image that he downloaded simply did not work with the OP's product key.  So it's not an image that would be your first choice to reinstall.

So, he was either too inexperienced as to understand the correct disc to download(if he didn't have an external DVD drive to hand) or he's just a stupid crook.

On the other hand, there was the simple choice to clone the Windows 10 HDD to the new SSD and not to bother to install Windows 8.1 at all.

Ignore the stupid troll. They have nothing intelligent to impart, so they are just trying to disrupt the thread. 

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

O.k so we know what happened.

I am not interested in computers and don't want to learn how to

fix this.

I will go to a KVC branch where I know they know how to reinstall a genuine copy of Windows.

When I get it back should the restore to factory settings work in change PC settings or do I use the systems restore in the action center or something.

7 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

O.k so we know what happened.

I am not interested in computers and don't want to learn how to

fix this.

I will go to a KVC branch where I know they know how to reinstall a genuine copy of Windows.

When I get it back should the restore to factory settings work in change PC settings or do I use the systems restore in the action center or something.

When you get back: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc for Windows 8.1

or if you would prefer Windows 10, simple get them to clone the Windows 10 from your original HDD.

At least the latter should stop them from installing dodgy software to your laptop, as there will be no need. All Drivers and application are already on the original HDD, so will be transferred to the SSD. It will work instantly.

If they install Windows 8.1, they won't bother to go to the laptop manufacturers website to download and install the Drivers. Instead they will install some Driver seeking software in order to find and install the Drivers.

Understandably they want to spend as little time as possible on your machine. So they take short cuts.

If you can't be bothered, maybe we shouldn't be either....

Some people hate paperwork and working on computers.

I just want to get back to cladding the shed with timber

and let some one else figure out my computer but it's

starting to look like I'm in the wrong country for that.

I also don't want Windows 10

26 minutes ago, chiangrai said:

So when I get it back from the shop and open control panel,uninstall a program,should it look like a normal computer with a long list of programs and not just 6.

Is there a way to tell if he's done it right.

I don't even know what machine you have. 

But you can check if the key utilised for installation is the same that is the one on your installation media, by running ShowKeyPlus

6 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

Please peruse the thread before asking questions that have already been covered. the thread isn't that long. ;)

But if he restores the original hard disk he can clone it to an SSD.

I didn't see Recovery partition mentioned anywhere.

Maybe I missed it.

4 minutes ago, Chicog said:

But if he restores the original hard disk he can clone it to an SSD.

I didn't see Recovery partition mentioned anywhere.

Maybe I missed it.

4 minutes ago, Chicog said:

You are clearly not bothering to read what has been written before. Not helpful. I laid it all out in post #40. His original HDD contains Windows 10....which he doesn't want...as stated in post #43. 

All of the info can be gleaned from the previous posts, but I summarised it all again to prevent people who didn't read the thread, from duplication questions. Yet..... ;)

7 hours ago, chiangrai said:

So when I get it back from the shop and open control panel,uninstall a program,should it look like a normal computer with a long list of programs and not just 6.

The list will be as long as the number of programmes that have been installed. A plain vanilla installation of Windows 8.1 will contain very little in that list. Only when you start installing extra programmes that are not part of Windows will that list become longer (browsers, email clients, anti-virus, Office programmes, driver packages etc.). As these programmes are all optional there is no reason why a technician should install any.

If you install Windows afresh then there is no point resetting it anyway, as that just takes it back to how it was when first installed.

You would be well advised to follow the media creation link I posted and do it yourself from a USB key. It is a fairly simple process and I find that in Thailand the best way of doing a job properly is to do it oneself.

8 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Is there a way to tell if he's done it right.

The activation code that came with your DVD should match  the one recorded on the Windows installed on your laptop.That will tell you if he installed the version you gave him.

Edited by Rob13

16 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Always fun to read threads with input from Jiu-Jitsu and the same old mix of useful tech answers coupled with unwarranted insults.

16 hours ago, Jiu-Jitsu said:

MJKT2014 :D

I wrote much the same a few posts back, but the posts disappeared and the word Troll appeared in a post. Tech skills good, social skills low.

Some techies just can't help it, most others can. I had over 60 working for me, so I know what they can be like. :whistling:

You shall have only one opinion, mine. As witnessed in a reply to a post to MJKT2014. above, who, I believe, added a useful contribution to the thread, by pointing out the unwarranted insults.

Chiangrai

KittenKong seems to be giving you sage advice on your computer problem (without any unwarranted insults) in his last post, I respectively suggest you take it.

I expect this post will disappear as well. :coffee1:

Edited by seedy
quote hidden post

On 8/18/2016 at 10:51 PM, Jiu-Jitsu said:

You are clearly not bothering to read what has been written before. Not helpful. I laid it all out in post #40. His original HDD contains Windows 10....

Yet earlier you were shouting that he bought a laptop without an OS.

Maybe both you and the OP could be a little clearer.

Anyway, he seems lost and you seem to enjoy being condescending in helping him, so I'll leave you to it.

9 hours ago, Chicog said:

Yet earlier you were shouting that he bought a laptop without an OS.

Maybe both you and the OP could be a little clearer.

Anyway, he seems lost and you seem to enjoy being condescending in helping him, so I'll leave you to it.

No one is 'lost' here, except you. Who are you to suggest that the OP is 'lost'??

They know exactly what they need to do.

It's just you. You didn't bother to read what had gone before and so your advice was confusing and erroneous....and you have no one to blame but yourself.

The OP has no problem with my advice. Condescending is just your word....upset because you didn't bother to read what had gone before and so ended up posting nonsense.

The OP also had an earlier thread, asking for advice on which laptop to purchase and also informed that they wanted at the same time to swap the onboard HDD for an SSD and from there on, installing his genuine Windows 8.1 media.

So I already knew that there would be no available recovery partition. 

I also advised them to not let any Thai technician install his Windows 8.1 media. He ignored my advice and ended up with a hooky copy installed.

I also only learned, by asking the right questions, that the original HDD had genuine Windows 10...and subsequently found out that the OP does not want Windows 10.

You too would have known that if you had taken the trouble to read what had gone before. But you didn't and so ended up posting nonsense more likely to end up confusing the OP.

All of this was discussed beforehand, but you clearly thought yourself too intelligent to have to bother to read what had gone before.....with predictable results. So cry into your beer if you wish, but you have no one to blame but yourself.

So yes....leave me to it.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

On 8/18/2016 at 7:40 PM, Peterw42 said:

Its not a tangent, the OP can use daemon tools to do a fresh install using his windows. if the tech left an ISO on the machine.

There's no iso left on the machine. The Kms is a crappy activation tool that might survive a few updates, but not more.

The Chinese browser and Anti Virus is usually from Baidu which is full of viruses. 

They use an installation CD and some programs on an external drive, usually infected with all possible stuff you don't want to mess with.

That's all they are able to do if something pops up in English telling them not to do so, they  can't even read the message if it's something unusual.  

That's why you're only paying 300 baht for such an incredible installation. 

The whole installation is basically a big headache and following Jiu Jitsu's advice is the best possible advice. 

Once you've got your system running well, back it up on an external drive. Good luck. 

Edited by lostinisaan