Two Arrested For Trafficking 800 Endangered Birds Into Thailand

george

Two Myanmar men arrested for trafficking 800 endangered birds

BANGKOK: -- Thai marine police arrested two Myanmar men who tried to slip into Thailand by boat with more than 800 endangered red-whiskered bulbuls, police said.

The birds, popular in Southeast Asia for their melodic singing, can fetch up to 4,000 baht (US$110; €85) on the black market, said police Lt. Col. Prasert Srikunrat.

The men were arrested Tuesday as they entered Thai waters in Ranong province, near the Myanmar border, about 460 kilometers (300 miles) south of Bangkok, Prasert said.

They were being detained on charges of trafficking endangered wildlife and illegally entering the country. They face up to 10 years in prison.

The birds were to be handed over to a wildlife conservation center and released into the wild when the case is completed, Prasert said.

--iht 2006-11-22

Another dose of nonsense.... these are definitely not endangered, not anywhere I could find. More of the same old slight of hand, redirection, maybe something important happened and this is what we get!!

I think you're on to something:

wikipedia:

Red-whiskered Bulbul

Conservation status

200px-Status_iucn3.png

Least concern (LC)

The birds, popular in Southeast Asia for their melodic singing, can fetch up to 4,000 baht

and i thought they would be going cheep. :o

And a Filipino who got arrested with a lot of Reptiles & Snakes in Plastic Bottles

it must be wildlife week

someone is also posting for information on how to export parrots from thailand to the middle east.

and orang utans are flying off to australia.

The most common bird in my garden, and can be bought at the local market for a few hundred baht. No idea why they would be smuggling them. Coals and Newcastle are two words that spring to mind :o

Just like that other person smuggling cobras into Thailand from the Philippines. As if there aren't enough of them in the fields around my condo...