new battery pack needed for Nexus 5X?

chubby

hello, I have a Nexus 5 and a new Nexus 5X, I just noticed that the Battery pack that charges the N5 (micro USB) fully, will only maintain battery status but not Increase and fully charge a Nexus 5X, while the N5X is running, so I guess I need a new USB C battery pack , quick charge?

anything someone might recommend? if so

Does the 5X fully charge via its ac adapter?

What is the battery pack make/model?

Did this pack ever fully charge the 5X?

Not sure if the best brands are available here but Xiomi's Type C products get generally favorable reviews.

This model specifically: http://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-mi-power-bank-pro-10000-mah-with-usb-type-c-quick-charge-6028800.html

sure the 5X charges on a/c,  the pack i bought for the N5 and it charges it up, but only maintains the N5X ...... 

seems the quick charge USBC on the 5X requires a pack made for it , from poking around on amazon.com

But this older power pack will fully charge your N5X fully if you turn the N5X off? Yes, or No?

My guess is that the current firmware bypasses the battery charging circuit when the phone is plugged in to a charger or pack, and the phone is on. Just a guess. If so, no power bank will do what you want.

will only maintain battery status but not Increase and fully charge a Nexus 5X, while the N5X is running

This may be a feature? And with root access and a custom ROM you could probably change this setting, but not sure what the ramifications would be. My guess is LG did this on purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQSMEEE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is the batterypack

olor: Black-16750

iSmart Charging Port: Compatibility maximized.
Not all charging ports are created equal. Standard ports only communicate effectively with particular devices, like Apple OR Android, often limiting their recharge rate. But with iSmart technology, each port intelligently identifies your device to speak its unique charging language. So plug in any brand or model and enjoy compatibility that doesn't limit your charging speed

Full Speed Charging
Our 5V RAVPower battery charger has 2 USB ports (2.1A max and 2.4A max) to allow for multiple device charges. You can rapidly charge your two tablets at the same time.

Design
We always strive to keep our battery packs looking sleek and made from the highest quality parts. Our RAVPower 16750mAh is offered with a black matte finish that is fingerprint and light scratch proof. And, lastly, it has a full functioning flashlight for those times when you are stumbling in the dark!

Specification:
Capacity: 16750mAh
Input: DC 5V/2A (Standard Micro USB Port)
USB A1:5V/2.4A max , USB A2:5V/2.1A max

External Battery RAVPower 16750mAh Portable Charger Power Bank 4.5A Dual USB Output (iSmart Technology) Black

•  

• POWERFUL & STABILIZED 4.5A OUTPUT: Highest output in the market, featuring a 4.5A total output capable of simultaneously charging 2 tablets, making it faster and more powerful than the rest.
  • EXCLUSIVE ISMART TECHNOLOGY: Charge faster and smarter than others, automatically detects and delivers the optimal charging current for any connected device- ensuring the fastest and most efficient charge.
  • HUGE CAPACITY: 16750mAh charges an iPhone 6 almost 6 times, a Galaxy S6 almost 4 times or an iPad Air once. Safely recharges with a 2 amp or higher output charger (most phone chargers have only 1 amp).
  • UNIQUE DESIGN: Smooth, ebony varnish allows you to power up in style, while 4 status LEDs keep you informed of remaining capacity. Built-in flashlight for dark or low-light environments.
  • SAFETY PROTECTION: Ultra reliable A+ Lithium-Ion battery with over 500 battery charge cycles; Security protection design: short-circuit and over-current protection. This portable power bank will automatic shutdown if a short circuit or overload output occurred while unit is charging.

when the  N5X is plugged into the battery pack it says  "charging on a/c"  but checking the graph, it will never increase in charge, only maintain charge. 

i'm guessing I need somethign like this :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZCGLBT6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1NCVKF8LXGAA9

•  
Click to open expanded view

Quick Charge 2.0 Power Bank-CHOE 15600mAh(Apple Lightning Charging Port)Portable External Battery Fast Charger for Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, Nexus 6 and more(Quick Charge Input and Output)

OK, Ill ask a second (and last) time...

When you turn off (fully power off/down) your Nexus 5X, and charge it using your current power pack, does it fully charge the Nexus 5X?

and a bonus question...

When you turn off (fully power off/down) your Nexus 5X, and charge it using your AC power adapter, does it fully charge the Nexus 5X?

as a matter of fact, it DOES fully charge if it is powered off via the  Battery Pack 

via the AC adapter it charges fully when turned on, is there some reason to test it when it's turned off, via AC? 

15 hours ago, chubby said:

why would they design a phone that can't be recharged by battery pack when on ?

My guess: probably safety reasons?

If your device is in use while charging, the heat from all this may trigger the kernel to throttle and eventually completely stop charging for safety.

Plenty of reports on this phenomenon on power-banks, AC and even using car chargers.

It might even be mentioned in the user's manual?

My second guess is that the spiffiest power-bank in the world won't alleviate this issue for you.

hmm, guess i will just have to charge while turned off.

though , i do note that the new charging system went from mini usb to usb-c (fast charge) ; and seems to me many people charge their phones with the phones on. 

and they do market some powerbank as usb-c friendly, whereas in my case i had only used it with microUSB, which did charge the N5 while N5 was on .......

"hmm, guess i will just have to charge while turned off. "

Maybe turn on the AC? Put it in the fridge?

Further research seems to definitely point towards thermal throttling designed into the kernel. This is done for safety reasons, to prevent the unit from getting too hot among other reasons.

As I said in post #4, "My guess is LG did this on purpose."

I guess you could fiddle with the thermal throttling thresholds; if you see smoke/flames maybe turn it off?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/epgX1p65Qnk

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/UhIw82mj8Ps

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-5x/general/slow-charging-screen-t3232718/page16