Bangkok Rock Festival 2007 Cancelled Due To Alcohol Ban

george

The end of rock concerts?

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Rock Festival 2007 - which was initially scheduled for February 10 and 11 - will be cancelled mainly due to the government's ban on alcohol advertising.

The ban with limited exceptions will take effect on December 3.

Riverman Asia Company yesterday announced the cancellation of the rock festival, saying that it would be hard to find sponsors for this big event with the virtual ban on alcohol advertising.

"Such a big event is going to cost more than Bt80 million because international rock stars will be part of this festival," the company said.

--The Nation 2006-11-22

Alcohol advertsing ban:

Pin-up calendar could be a date with trouble

BANGKOK: -- Leo Beer's pinup calendar promoted through the media as a New Year's gift for customers could breach the alcohol-advertising ban, the Public Health Ministry said yesterday.

"I'm not saying the brewer can't give away the calendar, but they aren't allowed by law to advertise their products in such a medium," said Dr Narong Sahamethapat, a deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department.

With the local beer's brand name running alongside photos of three sexy nud_e models, the calendar could be against the law taking effect on December 3 which prohibits all forms of alcohol advertising, with limited exceptions such as live telecasts of foreign sports events and foreign magazines, he said.

If the company wants to continue distributing its calendar, it must not carry the brand name, pictures of the alcoholic beverage and any other materials aimed at advertising, said Narong, who also belongs to the national committee on alcohol consumption control.

And even those who were lucky to get the calendar before December 3 need to be careful about how they show it.

"If you hang it on your bedroom wall, that's totally fine," he said. "But if you put it where it can be seen by public eyes, such as your grocery store, that could cause trouble."

The Food and Drug Administration, which had pushed the alcohol ban to become law, will today discuss what to do with the calendar issue, secretary-general Sirwat Thiptharadol said.

It was also speeding up drafting the guidelines for the booze ban before it comes into effect, he said.

On Monday, the Public Health Ministry explained the law to the Council of State in response to a complaint lodged through the prime minister.

An alcoholic beverage company had questioned the ban and the Council of State - the government's legal advisory arm - was expected to rule today on it.

The directive had passed a panel of legal experts before it was proposed and the ministry was definitely sure it was legitimate, Narong said.

Some novel advertising tactics aimed at slipping through loopholes in the law were increasingly seen in commercials for alcoholic drinks these days, he said.

"This confirms that advertising does have an impact on alcohol sales - if it didn't, why bother?"

-- The Nation 2006-11-23

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good news indeed !

Let's wait a few more month, to have other cancelations. And then, maybe, the government will start to understand that they should review their ridiculous face-based decision...

Sponsorship is only the tip of the iceberg... Actually, it's a big economic blow to the advertising and printing industries. That's the main issue.

Less activities, less revenues, less VAT, less taxes, etc.

Face has a price. They will pay it. At no discount.

hmm. let's advertise and tax Yaa Baa, let the drug dealers sponsor them! That is good for the revenue department, good for the advertisment industry and good for the drugs dealer. not so good for the young people. Or let's advertise the flash trade. It is all very simple tip of the iceberg or not, people should not always go for the money. It was a good proposal from the Thaksin government which is rightly pursued by the junta.

hmm. let's advertise and tax Yaa Baa, let the drug dealers sponsor them! That is good for the revenue department, good for the advertisment industry and good for the drugs dealer. not so good for the young people. Or let's advertise the flash trade. It is all very simple tip of the iceberg or not, people should not always go for the money. It was a good proposal from the Thaksin government which is rightly pursued by the junta.

The application of this new law is entirely appropriate. The solution is simple. They don't have to cancel the event, just trash the calendars or find a different sponsor.

These 'bans' have been in effect in the USA for decades and somehow we still have music festivals, tennis matches and the wide variety of other activities that were formerly supported by liquor, wine and beer promotions.

Get used to it, if you're going to make laws that have already been successfully tested in other countries, then you have to obey them.

When the fag companies were banned out of sports in the UK the negative effects to the sporting events and related industries (advertising, printing etc) were short lived.

The cost to Thailand if a few advertising companies go under and they miss out on a few rock concerts would be a small price to pay IF the ban saves even one life. Around 14,000 people die on Thai roads annually. 80%+ of these deaths are drink related. And that represents only one of the negative effects alcohol has on society.

Less drinking, less puking, less hangovers, less hospital visits, lower insurance, safer roads etc.

Let's wait a few more month, to have other cancelations. And then, maybe, the government will start to understand that they should review their ridiculous face-based decision...

Sponsorship is only the tip of the iceberg... Actually, it's a big economic blow to the advertising and printing industries. That's the main issue.

Thailand turns more and more into America ... but then, in America at least you may still drink.

How absurd is this quote? Have you ever been to America? If you have, you would realise that it is quite the opposite. Go to a Concert, Sporting Event, or any type of Festival, and you are bombarded with Alcohol sponsorship and beer sales. Also, watch a half hour of American television anytime after 5pm and you will see at least one Beer Commercial. Anyway, I love Thailand, but things are so backwards there in a lot of senses. I mean, they turn a blind eye to what is going on in places like Pattaya, Nana Plaza, Pat Pong, Soi Cowboy, yet they are banning alcohol advertisements which in turn will cause the cancelation of many good spirited festivals.

Face reality:

- The growing alcohol consumption is a big problem in this country. Last time I read the statistics, the growth was around 100% the last 10 years. So much so that some industrial companies have alco-tests of their staff every morning to reduce accidents etc.

- The alcohol industry advertises for one reason and one reason only: increased sales. (Or do you think they do it to sponsor the printing/newspaper/magazine etc. industries?)

- The government will do anything within their power to reduce the alcohol consumption, or at least reduce the growth. Banning advertising is rather obvious.

- We will never know if it works, since won't know what the consumption would have been with advertising.

What's the problem with this? Will our lives become more boring without alcohol ads? I doubt it. We are still allowed to drink, you know.

Alcohol ads have been banned in some European countries for around 30 years, so it shouldn't really come as a shock that it happens here as well.

This is so dumb - as it is in any other country that implements such things - advertising does not in my view make people drink, smoke or do anything else - advertising is about persuading people to choose one brand instead of another! If food advertising was banned would it stop people from eating!!!

Alcohol, cigarette and drug abuse and even the selliing of sex are all symptoms of real problems like poverty, poor education, lack of work, boredom and frustration with life in general - until these issues are tackled alcohol and other abuses will be rife even if people end up distilling it themeselves in the backyards. No one has ever succeeded in dealing with this kind of problem with bans.

It is of course face saving and a government trying to show it is doing something - the only real answer ot this is to ensure the wealth of the country is distributed more fairly to give hope to young people - but that of course means taking from the rich.........and who are the politicians?

To be fair this isnt just a Thai problem - I cant think of one democratic government which has been brave enough to tackle the real issues

The ban won't last,this is only the beginning. Oh and to the poster that states

"These 'bans' have been in effect in the USA for decades and somehow we still have music festivals, tennis matches and the wide variety of other activities that were formerly supported by liquor, wine and beer promotions."

It's not America though is it ?

I welcome the kingdoms new leadership in moving us more closer to the values of Islam.

When the fag companies were banned out of sports in the UK the negative effects to the sporting events and related industries (advertising, printing etc) were short lived.

The cost to Thailand if a few advertising companies go under and they miss out on a few rock concerts would be a small price to pay IF the ban saves even one life. Around 14,000 people die on Thai roads annually. 80%+ of these deaths are drink related. And that represents only one of the negative effects alcohol has on society.

Less drinking, less puking, less hangovers, less hospital visits, lower insurance, safer roads etc.

I had a feeling that this argument would be raised eventually. First, let me say that I agree with you fully on the second part, the main problems will not be solved by this ban, and of course many other efforts would also be required to even begin to mend the issues. Even so, isn't there even a chance that this advertising ban will have some positive outcome?

First, if food advertising was banned, no of course people would not stop eating. But sometimes I'll see an ad for some food and it will make my tummy rumble a little. I wasn't hungry before, but suddenly I feel the need to go and eat something. Doesn't alcohol advertising have the same general effect? Someone who drinks anyway, might drink more simply because s/he is being reminded about it all the time.

There is also a halo effect. If I drink one brand of beer, seeing an ad for another beer will make me think of drinking, and I might have a beer. Think of any food that you enjoy eating, let's say, chocolate. If you have a bar of chocolate in the house, and you inteneded on saving it for tomorrow, but an ad comes on and you see some lovely consuming a bar of chocolate and it looks nice, isn't it possible that you will be tempted to go and eat the chocolate early? Does it matter that the ad was for a different chocolate to the one you had? The effect was the same, another bar consumed, or back on topic, another beer consumed.

Plus, the advertisements make drink look socially positive. Something that I don't believe it is! Poverty, poor education, lack of work, frustration with life are all problems that are exacerbated by alcoholism. And selling of sex would be harder for many were it not for alcohol.

So while I agree that people will still drink after the ban, and that the government will need to "really" tackle the issue, I do believe that the job of education might be easier if you don't have to content with a constant barrage of positive press for the drinks makers while you are trying to tell 16-year-old kids that there is a better way.

This is so dumb - as it is in any other country that implements such things - advertising does not in my view make people drink, smoke or do anything else - advertising is about persuading people to choose one brand instead of another! If food advertising was banned would it stop people from eating!!!

Alcohol, cigarette and drug abuse and even the selliing of sex are all symptoms of real problems like poverty, poor education, lack of work, boredom and frustration with life in general - until these issues are tackled alcohol and other abuses will be rife even if people end up distilling it themeselves in the backyards. No one has ever succeeded in dealing with this kind of problem with bans.

Edited by pal78

Hmmm.... let me see, should I go for that Chilean Cab Sauv or the Aussie Cab Merlot?

No advertising? Well- I guess it's the price, label and CONTENT description that counts in MY CHOICE!!

Who relies on a graphic poster or billboard to decide what passes one's lips?

:o

To my knowledge Yaa Baa is not legal and never has been. Not exactly apples to apples comparison. Legal industries were not built around Yaa Baa then be told later "you SOL, layoff your people and pack your bags"

That doesn't mean this isn't a good or needed change. It just means the analogy is poor.

I don't have a fix but I recognize a bad short term fix when I see it.

The application of this new law is entirely appropriate. The solution is simple. They don't have to cancel the event, just trash the calendars or find a different sponsor.

These 'bans' have been in effect in the USA for decades and somehow we still have music festivals, tennis matches and the wide variety of other activities that were formerly supported by liquor, wine and beer promotions.

Get used to it, if you're going to make laws that have already been successfully tested in other countries, then you have to obey them.

Just implementing a law that is successful in another country does not mean it will be successful in the new country. The Bans in the US were phased in gradually. The industries surrounding it were given time to adjust to the new reality.

The idea is sound. The implementation is not.

Just implementing a law that is successful in another country does not mean it will be successful in the new country. The Bans in the US were phased in gradually. The industries surrounding it were given time to adjust to the new reality.

I've heard rumors of this ban for months now. I'm imagining that people in the alcohol industry and those surrounding it also had some heads up?

I know I'm missing the whole point of rock concerts, but doesn't it seem reasonable to expect it to be supported by the music industry? Motivation... band plays music, music is good, kids like music, kids buy music. I am positively sure that if these event planners went knocking on doors now looking for new sponsors they would find them. Might not be as convenient as having one or two major drinks companies backing you, but many events here have 20+ small sponsors and it seems to work out okay.

Thailand turns more and more into America ... but then, in America at least you may still drink.

Congratulations Pepi, you get my award for the dumbest post of the year. How is Thailand turning more and more into America? Apparently you have never been there. There is a considerable amount of wine and beer ads in the American media and beer companies have sponsored rock tours for the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Nickleback, Pearl Jam, etc. The problem with this or any other ban on advertising for such things as booze or cigarettes is that YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY. Even though politicians have been trying to do this from the crack of dawn.

Congratulations Pepi, you get my award for the dumbest post of the year. How is Thailand turning more and more into America? Apparently you have never been there. There is a considerable amount of wine and beer ads in the American media and beer companies have sponsored rock tours for the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Nickleback, Pearl Jam, etc. The problem with this or any other ban on advertising for such things as booze or cigarettes is that YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY. Even though politicians have been trying to do this from the crack of dawn.

And this "YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY" is the real issue as to why it will fail without an entire slew of further action on societies part and the governments part. Education is always the only real approach to solving problems. The rest supports the education. Without education as a starting point the rest is doomed to failure.

I've heard rumors of this ban for months now. I'm imagining that people in the alcohol industry and those surrounding it also had some heads up?

I know I'm missing the whole point of rock concerts, but doesn't it seem reasonable to expect it to be supported by the music industry? Motivation... band plays music, music is good, kids like music, kids buy music. I am positively sure that if these event planners went knocking on doors now looking for new sponsors they would find them. Might not be as convenient as having one or two major drinks companies backing you, but many events here have 20+ small sponsors and it seems to work out okay.

Time is what has potentially killed the specific event. Not the fact that the sponsers will need to change. There are many levels you can look at this on. The event, the law, the societal need, etc...What it comes down to is ....as farang prince so eloquatly puts it...is "YOU CAN'T LEGISTLATE MORALITY" .....although Singapore has done this fairly well. They have other issues.

And this "YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE MORALITY" is the real issue as to why it will fail without an entire slew of further action on societies part and the governments part. Education is always the only real approach to solving problems. The rest supports the education. Without education as a starting point the rest is doomed to failure.

I do agree 100% that education should be the starting point. But can we stretch the definition of education far enough to present this ban as a form of education? I would think so for the ban of selling alcohol at 7-11 and all at gas stations. Sure the initial action seems pointless, but every time I go into a shop at a gas station I'm immediately aware of the sparsely covered shelves behind the counter, seemingly they are leaving them bare in the hope that one day they will be able to fill them with Black label. I never bought drink at a gas station mind, but the message is there. People notice that they can't stock up on booze 1/2 way to Chiang Mai and a question enters their heads... why not? And then the government and responsible public can tell them why not.

Similarly, people will notice the lack of ads, and the government will have an opportunity to fill the void with constructive arguments in favor of moderation... or however they wish to continue the education process.

I don't teach anymore, but when I did, one of the first things I tried to do was to draw the student's attention to the topic and get them interested, and wanting to talk about it, and then it's possible that some of them might learn.

When new regulations are introduced, they can often allow for existing plans to be fulfilled. So a transitory period seems appropriate, and the rock concert could go ahead for 2007 but not again, unless they find new sponsors.

A similar provision applies to new immigration rules. Those who would be barred in future may travel if they've already bought tickets.

The end of rock concerts?

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Rock Festival 2007 - which was initially scheduled for February 10 and 11 - will be cancelled mainly due to the government's ban on alcohol advertising.

The ban with limited exceptions will take effect on December 3.

Riverman Asia Company yesterday announced the cancellation of the rock festival, saying that it would be hard to find sponsors for this big event with the virtual ban on alcohol advertising.

"Such a big event is going to cost more than Bt80 million because international rock stars will be part of this festival," the company said.

--The Nation 2006-11-22

Alcohol advertsing ban:

Pin-up calendar could be a date with trouble

BANGKOK: -- Leo Beer's pinup calendar promoted through the media as a New Year's gift for customers could breach the alcohol-advertising ban, the Public Health Ministry said yesterday.

"I'm not saying the brewer can't give away the calendar, but they aren't allowed by law to advertise their products in such a medium," said Dr Narong Sahamethapat, a deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department.

With the local beer's brand name running alongside photos of three sexy nud_e models, the calendar could be against the law taking effect on December 3 which prohibits all forms of alcohol advertising, with limited exceptions such as live telecasts of foreign sports events and foreign magazines, he said.

If the company wants to continue distributing its calendar, it must not carry the brand name, pictures of the alcoholic beverage and any other materials aimed at advertising, said Narong, who also belongs to the national committee on alcohol consumption control.

And even those who were lucky to get the calendar before December 3 need to be careful about how they show it.

"If you hang it on your bedroom wall, that's totally fine," he said. "But if you put it where it can be seen by public eyes, such as your grocery store, that could cause trouble."

The Food and Drug Administration, which had pushed the alcohol ban to become law, will today discuss what to do with the calendar issue, secretary-general Sirwat Thiptharadol said.

It was also speeding up drafting the guidelines for the booze ban before it comes into effect, he said.

On Monday, the Public Health Ministry explained the law to the Council of State in response to a complaint lodged through the prime minister.

An alcoholic beverage company had questioned the ban and the Council of State - the government's legal advisory arm - was expected to rule today on it.

The directive had passed a panel of legal experts before it was proposed and the ministry was definitely sure it was legitimate, Narong said.

Some novel advertising tactics aimed at slipping through loopholes in the law were increasingly seen in commercials for alcoholic drinks these days, he said.

"This confirms that advertising does have an impact on alcohol sales - if it didn't, why bother?"

-- The Nation 2006-11-23