Gout - Sulfinpyrazone

iancnx

Again hoping for guidance if possible.  I am a long term gout sufferer of 18 years now and up until a couple of years ago I have managed to control as best I can with dietary lifestyle changes and reduced alcohol.  However the last two years have been a struggle (now mid fifties) and I have been taking too much colchicine with too much declafenic.  The last year has been sheer hell so I have succumbed to visiting an expert.  RAM Phrae has started me on 1x colchicine daily, and an increasing weekly dose of Sulfin (Sulfinpyrazone) over the next 4 weeks. 

(Note: I am allergic to Alluprunol.   I did take Probenecid for a year about 17 years ago, and then took myself off them.)

The colchicine is as cheap as chips and I have a large stash - all good so far - I was in a position to tell RAM to 'ram it' with regard to those.

The Sulfinpyrazone however must be gold plated.  91 tablets Sulfin 100mg have cost me Baht 3367.  With other medications this is a chunk of change to say the least @ only 45 to the £ !!!!

Could anyone please guide me to a cheaper generic version of Sulfinpyrazone.  Does anyone know of an on-line source?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Those who helped me out with my statins question on the other thread very much appreciated.  

Just hoping there are some unfortunates like me who suffer from gout who might share their experience regarding meds

Unfortunately, Sulfrin is indeed the only brand available in Thailand., However, it will cost much less at a pharmacy than it did at the hospital. The hospital mark up will have been many fold the actual retail cost. 

As it is not widely used,  not all pharmacies will have it. I suggest you try Chiang Mai University Pharmacy on Suthep Rd.

Note that they have a membership discount program, since you are on this and other meds on a long term basis may be well worth joining.

Many thanks Sheryl, much appreciated.  I am off to Greece for hols in a few weeks so will also check there.

These days I live 5 hrs drive out of CM in the sticks (hence Phrae RAM hospital).  Would you know of any online pharmacies in Thailand that I could ask to send to me by post?

The only online pharmacy I know of does not list the drug, though no harm in sending them an email to see if they have/could get it. I have used them and they are reliable

http://drugstorebangkok.com/

Also worth trying the pharmacies in Phrae town located opposite the provincial (government) hospital, there are at least 2 of them

If all else fails call the distributor and ask them if they can tell you the name of a pharmacy in Phrae that they have supplied it to - 

American Taiwan Biopharm Co Ltd

Tel: (02) 272 0630 -4

• 4 weeks later...

Had a crippling attack and made it to a local military hospital where the doc gave me a hefty dyclfenic injection.  Doc reviewed the expensive Sulphin meds and said in his opinion once things had settled down, and I run out of the Sulphin, he would put me on probenecid (which I took and tolerated for over 12 months a long time ago). So fingers crossed.  Will update here when I get the new Meds.

- as an aside searched everywhere for the expensive Sulphin and could not find - evan had friends in BKK search to no avail.

Archived