Thailand and Japan declare readiness to cooperate on humanitarian aid in natural disasters

webfact

Thailand and Japan declare readiness to cooperate on humanitarian aid in natural disasters

ja.jpg

BANGKOK, 24 August 2016 (NNT) – Thailand has joined Japan in declaring its readiness to cooperate in providing humanitarian aid in times of natural disaster following a visit by Japan’s deputy minister for defense. 

Chief of the Defense Forces of Thailand Gen Sommai Kaotira recently received Japanese Deputy Defense Minister Ro Manabe, who traveled to the Kingdom to introduce himself after assuming his new post. The two discussed cooperation in a variety of areas between the Thai army and Japan’s self-defense force. 

Manabe acknowledged the good ties between Thailand’s military and his country’s force, noting that Japan dispatched personnel to join in the Cobra Gold annual training exercise co-organized by Thailand and the US. 

Gen Sommai in return lauded Japan for working with Lao PDR to form a working group of experts on humanitarian aid in times of natural calamity, assuring Thailand’s forces are ready to provide support to the effort. He noted the Kingdom will soon be hosting joint training for army medics to act in times of natural disaster and to test the newly formed “ASEAN Military Medics Center”. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-24

In November 2013 typhoon Haiyan struck the Philippines killing 6,000+ people and leaving many thousands homeless and with out food. The rest of the world responded immediately and generously with money, food and emergency rescue equipment and personnel. Even Vietnam who was also hit by Typhoon Haiyon gave $100,000.USD in Financial aid. About a week after the disaster  Prime Minister Yingluck made a statement that the Thai Military would furnish food and water-no mention of monetary aid. I was involved with the emergency coordination efforts in the Philippines and to my knowledge no food, water or any other assistance was ever sent. I would not hold my breath for Thailand to come to the aid of another country in need.

13 minutes ago, buck99 said:

In November 2013 typhoon Haiyan struck the Philippines killing 6,000+ people and leaving many thousands homeless and with out food. The rest of the world responded immediately and generously with money, food and emergency rescue equipment and personnel. Even Vietnam who was also hit by Typhoon Haiyon gave $100,000.USD in Financial aid. About a week after the disaster  Prime Minister Yingluck made a statement that the Thai Military would furnish food and water-no mention of monetary aid. I was involved with the emergency coordination efforts in the Philippines and to my knowledge no food, water or any other assistance was ever sent. I would not hold my breath for Thailand to come to the aid of another country in need.

Remember MH 370 which was international news when it disappeared but it took LoS 10 days to announce they'd tracked a plane flying east to west across northern Malaysia at the relevant time.

They didn't mention it because nobody had asked yet the news was full of the story.