The blue and white Ferry Koh Chang (not the Centrepoint ferry !)

Asiantravel

This is a question for people who live on Koh Chang or go there very frequently.

Going back in time to 2007 if you caught the TRAT  bus from Bangkok when  it reached about 20 km before Trat bus station it would drop off some people on Sukhumvit Road near the LAEM NGOP turning and there would be orange coloured songthaews that would be ready to take you to the Ferry Koh Chang terminal to get the blue-and-white ferry  (as opposed to the Centrepoint ferry which runs the old green coloured vessels)

But there doesn’t seem to be any sign of any orange coloured songthaews on Sukhumvit Road anymore?

Last time I went to Koh Chang I stayed on the bus until Trat bus station and then waited a long time for enough passengers to get on a pale blue coloured songthaew.  But what I don’t like about this arrangement is 60% through this  journey they stop at this restaurant/travel agency where everyone is told to get out of the songthaew and go inside this building where a woman then makes  everyone to buy a return ticket on the green Centrepoint ferry (obviously some sort of scam going on where she gets a kick back) whereas I want to go on the blue-and-white Ferry Koh Chang.

My question is if next week I get off the Bangkok bus near the LAEM NGOP turning (shown in the attached picture) is there still some kind of transportation from there to the Ferry Koh Chang terminal? Or alternatively will I be able to  get a songthaew from the centre of Trat city (as opposed to the bus station) that will take me to Ferry Koh Chang?

any advice would be greatly appreciated:)

centrepoint.png

ferry kc.png

laem ngop turning.png

• 2 months later...

I don't believe that songtaew runs any more from the the intersection you're talking about, that's in the village of Saen Tung. I haven't seen that songtaew in years.

The ferry you want is the Thanachart ferry to Koh Chang. 

Sure there's songtaews in Trat to the terminal, but as usual it's a bit of a challenge. They're parked at the market at their little terminal or on the main street.

If you want the easiest way maybe take a mini bus from Bangkok to Koh Chang. They pretty well all go to the Thanachart terminal I think.