Two killed, over 20 soldiers injured in head-on truck collision in Sa Kaeo

webfact

Two killed, over 20 soldiers injured in head-on truck collision in Sa Kaeo

892_Srakaew-1-wpcf_728x410.jpg

SA KAEO: -- Two persons in a fruit truck died and over 20 soldiers in a GMC truck were injured in a head-on collision in Watana Nakhon district of Sa Kaeo province this morning.

The incident happened at 6.30am near an intersection in Tambon Nong Namsai in Wattana Nakhon.

Nong Namsai police said the pickup truck with full load of banana and palm nuts from Rayong was heading for Buriram province while the Army’s GMC truck was taking soldiers to plant trees under a reforestation project in Prachinburi.

The collision happened when driver of the fruit truck tried to overtake another truck but failed.

It then collided head-on with the GMC truck and both foell into the roadside ditch.

The driver and a woman on the front seat died in the truck.

All the injured soldiers were later rushed to Wattana Nakhon hospital.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/177517-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-25

The collision happened when driver of the fruit truck tried to overtake another truck but failed ...to allow enough room for the overtaking manoeuvre? ...to notice the huge army truck driving towards him? ...to drive safely and to the conditions?

18 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Army vehicles, whether alone or in convoy ALWAYS keep to the outer lane of dual carriageways. A bit of re-education is required.

Only two lane road. One in each direction.

10 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

Sympathies to the families of the 2 civilians killed.

Winnie

Not really. The driver could have killed many innocent people with his stupidity. One day one of those people could be you, hit by a lorry on the wrong side of the road because he is in too much of a tearing hurry to think of his safety and that of others.

I will never understand, as another poster wrote, why Thais are always in such a hurry and often don't drive to the conditions. Just today I saw a motorcycle speeding past my house in a fierce storm and just waited until I heard the crash. I didn't, but it won't take long. I just hope he takes himself out and not innocent people.

So no sympathy from me.

1 minute ago, Doc46 said:

This is Thailand ,,,,,He expected that the Army truck slow down and let him do his,, overtake maneuver,, Same as the Van Idiots they expect same or worse,,,,He won't do that again,,,,

Nope, it was a permanent maneuver. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya28 said:

Always in a rush to overtake. But why the rush ? What are they missing out on ? 

And the usual cause ? Very poor judgement.

"Very poor judgement"  Nah, no damn judgement at all! Another brain fade (not brake fade) and they paid the ultimate price! Condolences to families and friends. Does anyone ever learn? :(

Hope the injured soldiers have a full and swift recovery. :wai:

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Army vehicles, whether alone or in convoy ALWAYS keep to the outer lane of dual carriageways. A bit of re-education is required.

In this case a two lane road, so he had to enter the oncoming lane and failed to make the overtaking move. Now that just, sadly, leaves the undertaking move.

Sorry for the family of the fruit merchants.  I hope the soldiers recover OK too. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya28 said:

Always in a rush to overtake. But why the rush ? What are they missing out on ? 

And the usual cause ? Very poor judgement.

It's always struck me odd that a people who walk so slowly get into such a hurry behind the wheel.

I wish they'd walk faster, where there's no risk to life and limb, and drive more cautiously, when there is.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

The collision happened when driver of the fruit truck tried to overtake another truck but failed ...to allow enough room for the overtaking manoeuvre? ...to notice the huge army truck driving towards him? ...to drive safely and to the conditions?

It was camouflaged :blink:

Sorry couldn't resist 

I'll go away now. 

5 hours ago, Doc46 said:

This is Thailand ,,,,,He expected that the Army truck slow down and let him do his,, overtake maneuver,, Same as the Van Idiots they expect same or worse,,,,He won't do that again,,,,

Haha yea, now soldiers are at the top of the food chain with Prayut in control. Let's show the fruits who the boss of the road is now.

17 hours ago, Winniedapu said:

Sympathies to the families of the 2 civilians killed.

Winnie

What about the soldiers----- rip the dead and hope full recovery to the injured------ it was the civilian truck on the wrong side of the road !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 26/08/2016 at 2:44 PM, Artisi said:

Accident, not in this case - stupidity.

On 26/08/2016 at 2:44 PM, Artisi said:

Accident, not in this case - stupidity.

Sorry, I did not know that an accident investigation had been carried out, except on TV.