Hyundai Elantra or Mazda 2

Ok I know...not exactly same category. 

However the Hyundai in GLE spec, middle was offered to me at 100K discounts coming in at 769k with still free insurance and 7 years warranty and 5 years free service (material and labor).

The M2 diesel in good spec is around 734k after some discounts. 

I know the M2 diesel well enough, the Elantra not so...decent looks in and out. Decent drive...but not sure about owning experience, reliability etc. Anybody here has one and could enlighten me?

20160825_090533.jpg

wow 100k discount with 7 years warranty? who wants to beat that - back in Germany Hyundais getting more and more popular, even "only" coming with 5 years warranty (the sister company Kia & years)

Edited by MrJ

Good cars both - I would go with the Hyundai simply because no one else has one and you're getting much more car for your money. They're very reliable and you'll probably suffer fewer delays for perts etc than a locally built brand if my boss's Kia is anything to go by.

Hyundai is a good choice (we had the H-1 van). The problem is that there dealership is quite limited. We had always to drive to Bangkok from Hua Hin...

The Mazda 2 is a good vehicle, too. The Diesel is surprising powerful. It's torque characteristic make the quite low power forgotten.

The Sedan seems to be more roomy, when you travel a lot of with passengers back. The hatchback has more cargo space. The sedan also looks quite good. The small sedans from other brands often look like a hatchback with rucksack.

16 hours ago, juehoe said:

Hyundai is a good choice (we had the H-1 van). The problem is that there dealership is quite limited. We had always to drive to Bangkok from Hua Hin...

Exactly our issue as well. own an H-1 and it is a great ride, handles well, good value and service is cheap but when something unexpected comes up and the closest dealership is 300km away it can be a major inconvenience to put it nicely. Can't really trust the local mechanics for anything other than an oil change. Nothing like having a dealership just down the road. If you have a dealership close by however I'd go for the Hyundai hands down.

finally son decided on the Mazda 2 5 door model in White. 1 step under top spec model. Cost price list was 769,000+7000 for pearl white. We got a cash discount of 35,000 Baht and free insurance, registration, back sensors and camera and front camera. Overall i felt this was a decent offer for the model in question, which is really nicely speced.

I personally wouldn't have mind the Hyundai, even though i was burned by Hyundai Thailand 10 over years ago, when they left Phuket with no service and I had a Tiburon....really nice car.

However, Thais are not so keen on the brand and the lack of service centers is a fact I could not deny. Mazda is nearly next to the house. The diesel M2 is not a bad little engine at all.....and funny enough the interior is nearly identical with that of the MX5 at well over 2m Baht....same air controls, dashboard.....I wouldn't be very happy as MX5 owners knowing that a 700K little car has the same engine....but then I would never buy it.....as I don't really 'fit in'....:rolleyes:

Not sure what FORD is up to...but no more 1.0 Ecoboost, only the dated 1.5l engine and no discounts, etc....they won't sell many in that way!

3 hours ago, frankphuket said:

I personally wouldn't have mind the Hyundai, even though i was burned by Hyundai Thailand 10 over years ago, when they left Phuket with no service and I had a Tiburon....really nice car.

However, Thais are not so keen on the brand and the lack of service centers is a fact I could not deny. Mazda is nearly next to the house. The diesel M2 is not a bad little engine at all.....and funny enough the interior is nearly identical with that of the MX5 at well over 2m Baht....same air controls, dashboard.....I wouldn't be very happy as MX5 owners knowing that a 700K little car has the same engine....but then I would never buy it.....as I don't really 'fit in'....:rolleyes:

Not sure what FORD is up to...but no more 1.0 Ecoboost, only the dated 1.5l engine and no discounts, etc....they won't sell many in that way!

I thought they stopped the Ecoboost engine here because the Thais thought about engines in the same way as Americans do - bigger is better - and continued to sell more of the old tech 1.5 than the cutting edge 1.0.

14 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I thought they stopped the Ecoboost engine here because the Thais thought about engines in the same way as Americans do - bigger is better - and continued to sell more of the old tech 1.5 than the cutting edge 1.0.

i would think you are right in this assumption. That's why Vios, Jazz and City are the Best sellers....tested and reliable.....driving enjoyment is of lesser importance.

15 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Plus the fact the 1.0 engine was 45,000 baht more. That's the reason i didn't go for it.