Cancelling a non-b visa

I have a WP that is not yet cancelled, but I have never done any 90 days reporting. Can I exit the country and apply for a 60 days tourist visa? Or will the embassy refuse to issue me a new visa if my company hasn't cancelled the WP yet?

Specifically this would be at the Thai embassy in Vientienne. 

The embassy would not even know about your work permit when you apply for the visa.

If you only have a 90 day entry from non-b visa you will have no problem leaving the country.

But if you have an extension of stay you applied for at immigration and are leaving overland you may have a problem leaving at the bridge in Nong Khai. They often ask for proof your job has ended by way of a letter from your employer that you job has ended on or after the date you are leaving the country.

I have a multiple entry non-b visa issued on the 4th of April, and used at the 9th of April this year. So clearly that is more than 90 days. But I have never done any 90 days reporting. In fact the 90 days reporting should have been done today.

Does that mean I have an extension of stay?

19 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

I have a multiple entry non-b visa issued on the 4th of April, and used at the 9th of April this year. So clearly that is more than 90 days. But I have never done any 90 days reporting. In fact the 90 days reporting should have been done today.

Does that mean I have an extension of stay?

• When you entered on April 9th you'd have been given (entry stamp at the border) permission to stay for 90 days until July 7th.
  • If you have an extension of stay you will have another stamp in your passport issued an immigration office.
  • If you have not got an extension you are on overstay.

Yes I do have an extension of stay stamp in my passport issued on the 25th of May, which must have been the day I got the WP. 

I did leave the country and I came back on the 5th of August. Does that mean I'm not overstaying starting from tomorrow? I've already given back my blue WP book to my employer, so I cannot do any reporting now can I?

So if my work permit gets cancelled, immigration will see that and ask to see a note from my employer? Is that correct? BOI didn't tell me anything about that.

Edited by manutfarang

3 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

I did leave the country and I came back on the 5th of August. Does that mean I'm not overstaying now? I've already given back my blue WP book to my employer, so I cannot do any reporting now can I?

• If your last entry with the non 'B' visa was August 5th you are not on overstay.
  • You do not need to make 90 day reports.
  • The non 'B' visa doesn't get cancelled when your job/WP end. You can continue to stay until the end of your current 90 day stay.
  • You could keep using the visa until it expires in April next year.

So all I have to do is to leave the country every 90 days? And it doesn't matter if it's by air or land right?

EDIT: I just spoke to BOI who confirmed the above. He also said no need to show immigration any papers.

Edited by manutfarang

11 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

But this still doesn't make sense from what all the other people are saying here. Like that you have to either leave the same day the WP gets cancelled, or pay 1900 baht for a 7 days extension. Is it because it's BOI and they have different rules?

You are confusing an extension of stay with a visa entry.

• If you had an extension of stay you would have to leave because your permission to stay is linked to your work.
  • Your current permission to stay is based on a visa entry, not your work, so you do not have to leave, and the visa does not get cancelled.

I am starting to understand this now. 

I do have an extension of stay from 25th of May, which I would have to do a reporting on around today, which I assume is still valid as my work permit has not been cancelled yet.

But. What confuses me now is that the latest entry stamp I have is from 5th of August. And since it was by land, the stamp says I have until 19th of August to leave. Is that a mistake by the immigration officer, not realizing I have a non-b visa? Or is that just a standard stamp one can disregard?

15 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

I do have an extension of stay from 25th of May, which I would have to do a reporting on around today, which I assume is still valid as my work permit has not been cancelled yet.

But. What confuses me now is that the latest entry stamp I have is from 5th of August. And since it was by land, the stamp says I have until 19th of August to leave. Is that a mistake by the immigration officer, not realizing I have a non-b visa? Or is that just a standard stamp one can disregard?

This reads like you only received a 15-day visa exempt entry the last time you arrived. Could it be that you received an extension of stay based on employment in May, then left Thailand and returned without a re entry permit? Then your extension will be void, and at the border they gave you 15 days. That means you are on overstay since August 19. 

24 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

You need to look at your non-b visa in your passport to confirm whether it has a S or M after number of entries allowed.

It is an M then it was a mistake by the immigration officer that can be fixed at an immigration office. Did you put your visa number on your arrival card?

If it is an S you are on an overstay now.

I have a multiple entry non-b visa, but I have never done the 90 day reporting at the BOI. I did however get my work permit on the 25th of May, with the extension of stay stamp stating it's valid until 9th of May 2017.

Does that mean I have voided my non-b visa?

18 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

I have a multiple entry non-b visa, but I have never done the 90 day reporting at the BOI. I did however get my work permit on the 25th of May, with the extension of stay stamp stating it's valid until 9th of May 2017.

Your multiple entry visa would not be canceled because you got an extension.

See my previous post.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your multiple entry visa would not be canceled because you got an extension.

See my previoust post.

Yes that makes sense. But what I don't understand is why immigration gave me 15 days at Poipet instead of 90 days. Did the immigration officer make a mistake, or could the visa have been cancelled some other way?

Because when I arrived at Don Muang, right after getting the non-b visa, it correctly states 90 days on the stamp.

22 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

Yes that makes sense. But what I don't understand is why immigration gave me 15 days at Poipet instead of 90 days. Did the immigration officer make a mistake, or could the visa have been cancelled some other way?

Because when I arrived at Don Muang, right after getting the non-b visa, it correctly states 90 days on the stamp.

Your visa can only be canceled by a stamp being put on it.

If you did not put your visa number on your arrival care it is very likely it was a mistake by the officer. Or if you did he just picked up the wrong stamp when you entered. As wrote before it can be fixed at an immigration office.

53 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

31 minutes ago, manutfarang said:

You cannot disregard the stamp giving you permission to stay until August 19th.

If you did have an extension of stay and permission to stay until May 2017 why did you do a border run to Cambodia?

If you didn't buy a re-entry permit before you made that exit then the extension of stay ended when you exited. That is why the IO only gave you 15 days.

If you have a valid Multiple Entry Non 'O' Visa in your passport it is possible that the IO didn't see it or look for it because of the more recent extension of stay stamp. You can go to an immigration and show them the visa and they should correct the entry stamp.

So I went to the small office at the Nong Khai border crossing. They said it was a mistake, entered something into the computer, manually corrected the date and told me to fill in the visa number on the arrival form next time.

Then when I came back the immigration office took almost 10 minutes to process my passport. Asked me to show him the non-b visa, and had his colleague help him. So it seems not only us farangs are confused. 

Oh and it wasn't a border run this time either, it was a vacation.

Edited by manutfarang