Roku or Apple tv

Blue bruce

I have had great enjoyment with an Apple TV box for several years in Buriram Province. It works fine via 3BB ADSL internet connection. I registered it via my USA based iTunes account. Not every channel with work as the box IP address is in Thailand. However, if I use my VPN and register my friends USA cable service customer account number I GREATLY expand channels and shows possible to watch for free. I have never used the pay per view so I can not comment.  I bought my Apple TV box in the USA and a friend brought it over. It is for sale in all manner of Apple re-seller stores in malls in Thailand. It will work WITHOUT a VPN, and it will work without a USA cable TV customer number. But you will have far more options to watch if you use those "tools".  I enjoy watching TV on a ROKU set top box in a Buriram Village house via CAT fiber optic internet. Roku offers more channels to watch than Apple TV, and give you more options if you use a VPN.  Both are fine boxes. I bought my Roku box in the USA and a friend brought it over. While I had not seen a Roku on a store shelf in isaan, that does not mean it is not available in Thailand.  Both boxes have good remotes in my experience. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2016 at 11:49 AM, kamalabob2 said:

I have had great enjoyment with an Apple TV box for several years in Buriram Province. It works fine via 3BB ADSL internet connection. I registered it via my USA based iTunes account. Not every channel with work as the box IP address is in Thailand. However, if I use my VPN and register my friends USA cable service customer account number I GREATLY expand channels and shows possible to watch for free. I have never used the pay per view so I can not comment.  I bought my Apple TV box in the USA and a friend brought it over. It is for sale in all manner of Apple re-seller stores in malls in Thailand. It will work WITHOUT a VPN, and it will work without a USA cable TV customer number. But you will have far more options to watch if you use those "tools".  I enjoy watching TV on a ROKU set top box in a Buriram Village house via CAT fiber optic internet. Roku offers more channels to watch than Apple TV, and give you more options if you use a VPN.  Both are fine boxes. I bought my Roku box in the USA and a friend brought it over. While I had not seen a Roku on a store shelf in isaan, that does not mean it is not available in Thailand.  Both boxes have good remotes in my experience. 

Thanks for that. I have the apple tv and I am happy with it. I do not use a VPN and do not want to use one, will I get any more content with the Roku?

Thanks in advance.

On 26.8.2016 at 6:49 AM, kamalabob2 said:

I have an Apple TV box from Norway and I have VPN, but how do I connect the Apple TV box to VPN? Do I have to go thru the pc?

There are a few ways to use a VPN on an Apple TV. You can use a Smart DNS service then you configure your DNS settings manually in the Apple TV. Check if your VPN provides a Smart DNS or a virtual router service. You can use your PC to create a virtual router, then connect Apple TV thru it.

15 hours ago, BShifty said:

There are a few ways to use a VPN on an Apple TV. You can use a Smart DNS service then you configure your DNS settings manually in the Apple TV. Check if your VPN provides a Smart DNS or a virtual router service. You can use your PC to create a virtual router, then connect Apple TV thru it.

I connect my Apple TV to my WiFi witch has a Norwegian IP-adress (VPN)?

On 10/1/2016 at 5:11 PM, Macthehat said:

Try kodi now available for tablets and phones .... no subscription and great variety Free with a decent Internet connection

Thanks for the info. I recently purchased a Roku box and a U.S. friend is bringing it next month. 

I have True net internet, do you see any problems with using True? ? ?.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:36 AM, Norlund said:

I connect my Apple TV to my WiFi witch has a Norwegian IP-adress (VPN)?

I have a Roku box connected to True internet. Channel selectionary is good but if I had VPN I could access American tv. Does any know of a tech guy who could set up a VPN for me ? ? ? 

5 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Thanks for the info. I recently purchased a Roku box and a U.S. friend is bringing it next month. 

I have True net internet, do you see any problems with using True? ? ?.

I have a Roku box connected to True internet. Channel selectionary is good but if I had VPN I could access American tv. Does any know of a tech guy who could set up a VPN for me ? ? ? 

To have VPN you need to find a VPN company on the net. I use PureVPN. It's ok with a great customer service (my experience). Download the PureVPN app or another VPN company's app. With the app you can change your ip address in about 150 countries. There are several VPN companies where you can get access for free. My advice is to stay away because my antivirus program (Norton) warns me about thiese companies.

On 10/6/2016 at 3:49 PM, Norlund said:

To have VPN you need to find a VPN company on the net. I use PureVPN. It's ok with a great customer service (my experience). Download the PureVPN app or another VPN company's app. With the app you can change your ip address in about 150 countries. There are several VPN companies where you can get access for free. My advice is to stay away because my antivirus program (Norton) warns me about thiese companies.

Thanks. Norlund,  appreciate the help 

I have an apple TV box but have wiped the apple and installed Kodi. I have a Roku stick as well but took it out as did not have the same viewing possibilities. I also have an android box that has Kodi loaded on it as well as various other programmes. With Kodi you load up add ns which are like apps and you can then view any number of movies or TV shows or even live TV channels. Not sure how this would work out in LOS as I'm currently in the UK so I imagine it would have to have a UK or US I.P address to access all the channels. One advantage the Roku had over the apple box is screen mirroring so you can move things from an android phone or tablet onto your TV screen.

1 hour ago, mickj88 said:

I have an apple TV box but have wiped the apple and installed Kodi. I have a Roku stick as well but took it out as did not have the same viewing possibilities. I also have an android box that has Kodi loaded on it as well as various other programmes. With Kodi you load up add ns which are like apps and you can then view any number of movies or TV shows or even live TV channels. Not sure how this would work out in LOS as I'm currently in the UK so I imagine it would have to have a UK or US I.P address to access all the channels. One advantage the Roku had over the apple box is screen mirroring so you can move things from an android phone or tablet onto your TV screen.

Kodi works fine in the LOS..

Been using it here for a while ..now running kodi from a standard tablet and running it to any tv with a hdmi socket...no need any expensive boxes .

Well I have has the Roku for a week now. The content is very limited. I have been  told I could get more channels if I had a VPN. A neighbor has an android that works much better than my Roku with just using True internet. 

So much for Roku in Thailand 

4 hours ago, Blue bruce said:

Well I have has the Roku for a week now. The content is very limited. I have been  told I could get more channels if I had a VPN. A neighbor has an android that works much better than my Roku with just using True internet. 

So much for Roku in Thailand 

Nowadays you can pick up a decent android box from aliexpress for around $30 + free delivery and for a few extra dollars you can add some memory , handy for recording all your favourites . 

Best to get a mini keyboard for surfing too as the remote is basic .

• 10 months later...

Archived