Burkini ban in parts of France provokes beach-themed protest in London

webfact

54 minutes ago, dexterm said:

Will armed police ban, fine, or force these women to undress too?

Cp-fhXwWgAAdyvX.jpg

...Shame on you France!

Please, do not generalize.

In France luckily there are voices, increasingly many, to denounce a measure estimated demagogic and discriminatory.

You must also understand that after the spectacular attacks of Charlie-Hebdo, Bataclan and Nice, anger prevails over reason.

But it will pass. France is not a racist country and good sense will prevail. I hope in some time we will see the rejection of all simplistic extremists. 

Note that in this forum also, extremists and simplistic views are widely majority. :rolleyes:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, dexterm said:

Uniform/dress code?...you're playing with semantics. Everyone knows nuns dress this way to preserve their modesty and religious vows...same as Muslim women.

Nuns dont go in the sea?...Try these, or google images "nuns bathing in sea" for lots more pics... a few nice bikini bottoms there too!:w00t:

Nuns-on-beach-640x480.jpg

OK, Dex, I'll play.   Were these pictures taken at a restricted beach?   When were they taken?

Were they even taken in France?

It is both amusing and cringeworthy to read all the Islamophobic posters above playing mental gymnastics with dog whistle accompaniment to justify what is basically a ridiculous bigoted law aimed specifically at one religion.

Don't get me wrong. I am an atheist. I think all religions are a form of madness. But I defend the right of anyone to be religiously crazy so long as it does not harm anyone.

I wouldn't give a hoot if an entire beach were strewn with burkini clad women, Christian, Buddhist nuns, turbaned Sikhs, and kippahed Jews. Because their dress code does not bother me one iota, and they do me no harm at all.

People who object simply betray their hate filled bigotry.

1 hour ago, dexterm said:

Cp-fhXwWgAAdyvX.jpg

Just another example of religious bigotry and hypocrisy.

So much for liberté, égalité, fraternité. Shame on you France!

Face is visible. In a country that has suffered from terrorism,  they want to know which individual wears the burqa: man or woman.

A woman wore a burqa and stabbed an American woman to death in Abu Dhabi. A burqa can hide much, from knife to gun.

Google, it's live on CCTV.

Edited by AGLV0121

1 minute ago, dexterm said:

But I defend the right of anyone to be religiously crazy so long as it does not harm anyone

I think you just killed any argument that you might have had.

In case it has escaped your attention. France has been hammered by religiously crazy people over the past 2 years and it wasn't Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs or Jews.

10 minutes ago, dexterm said:

It is both amusing and cringeworthy to read all the Islamophobic posters above playing mental gymnastics with dog whistle accompaniment to justify what is basically a ridiculous bigoted law aimed specifically at one religion.

Don't get me wrong. I am an atheist. I think all religions are a form of madness. But I defend the right of anyone to be religiously crazy so long as it does not harm anyone.

I wouldn't give a hoot if an entire beach were strewn with burkini clad women, Christian, Buddhist nuns, turbaned Sikhs, and kippahed Jews. Because their dress code does not bother me one iota, and they do me no harm at all.

" the law protects the faith as long as faith does not presume to dictate the law"  (Lacordaire)

15 minutes ago, Credo said:

OK, Dex, I'll play.   Were these pictures taken at a restricted beach?   When were they taken?

Were they even taken in France?

Who knows? Who cares?

Can you hear yourself speaking? You would deny men or women of any religion the pleasure of sea bathing because of what they are wearing?

And just a generation or so ago police were imposing the opposite laws.

swimsuit-police-washington-dc-1922.jpg

The world's gone mad!

Cp-fhXwWgAAdyvX.jpg

Just another example of religious bigotry and hypocrisy.

So much for liberté, égalité, fraternité. Shame on you France!

I take it that this is a beach in Saudi Arabia ?

48 minutes ago, jaidam said:

This thread is not about Jews. I have neither made nor liked any anti-semitic post on purpose. My stance is against all religions and pro personal freedoms which is why I occasionally offer criticism of islam. You must be confusing me with another forum member. May I remind you that stalking is frowned upon on this forum and that you have accused me now several times of making anti-semitic posts(which is incredibly ironic given your pro-islamist stance and the view of islamists against jews!).

I'll answer, hopefully it will not be removed as "bickering"

Firstly I have never expressed nor supported Islamist actions / sentiment, but do push back against OTT generalised bigotry against all Muslims. On the other side of the coin you have posted and have had a number of extreme neo Nazi ideological support posts removed as well as 'liking' outright anti Semitic posts, a recent example those by Norvid.

8 minutes ago, i claudius said:

No it's a beach in wintertime apparently, where people have come for a walk on the sand - some with bicycle ( in the rear)  , some wearing raining caps, so noone is bathing , all watch at the sea.  

Edited by Opl

17 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

I think you just killed any argument that you might have had.

In case it has escaped your attention. France has been hammered by religiously crazy people over the past 2 years and it wasn't Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs or Jews.

So you approve of a ridiculous law as a form of collective punishment/retaliation.

I understand. After all, it's been done before in history.

15 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I would think 100% not.

But you appear to applaud the actions of French police who are behaving exactly as their Saudi counterparts do...imposing dress codes! Both forms of fascism.

5 minutes ago, dexterm said:

So you approve of a ridiculous law as a form of collective punishment/retaliation.

I neither approve or disapprove. It is a matter for the French Authorities, not me.

I do  approve of laws being upheld, by everyone, whether they be perceived to be ridiculous or not.

The small part of me that is libertarian would support a ban on ALL clothing on public beaches. Minors being accompanied by a responsible guardian / parent, being exempt if they wished.

The world needs more nudist beaches and it would have the added bonus of keeping the religious nutjobs of all faiths away from public beaches.

22 minutes ago, dexterm said:

I am not SgtRock ,

but ,

FYI :

- it is not a law, it's a measure some 20 mayors took for a limited period of time - till end of august - in order to prevent confrontation among people on the beach - due to recent repeated  tragic events : terrorists attacks - policemen murderers etc.. ( I'm not recalling all the context - but it's important to understand)   

- it is not a "collective punishment "  - 16 persons were fined in Nice ( were the truck drove through the crowd - search " bastille day terrorist attack in Nice " if you are interested in knowing more ) - very few women choose to wear burkinis -   

- it is not retaliation or punishment,  you really are exagereting when comparing  hundreds of people killed or wounded with those women who have been fined.

Things are not that simple.

Brexit has largely been approved because of immigration issues - so maybe you can understand the context ???

Edited by Opl

8 minutes ago, Opl said:

FYI :

- it is not a law, it's a measure some 20 mayors took for a limited period of time - till end of august - in order to prevent confrontation among people on teh beach - due to recent repeated  tragic events : terrorists attacks - policemen murderers etc.. ( I'm not recalling all the context - but it's important to understand)   

- it is not a "collective punishment "  - 16 persons were fined in Nizza ( were the truck drove through the crowd ) - very few women choose to wear burkinis -   

Things are not that simple.

Brexit has largely been approved because of immigration issues - so maybe you can understand the context ???

Law/bylaw/mayoral edict?? Who cares. Semantics again... just to hide the basic dog whistle intent..a collective punishment attack on one particular religion.

I hate all bullying and all racism/religionism. I regard it as a form of inferiority complex. Putting others down, to boost one's own ego.

14 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

I neither approve or disapprove. It is a matter for the French Authorities, not me.

I do  approve of laws being upheld, by everyone, whether they be perceived to be ridiculous or not.

The small part of me that is libertarian would support a ban on ALL clothing on public beaches. Minors being accompanied by a responsible guardian / parent, being exempt if they wished.

The world needs more nudist beaches and it would have the added bonus of keeping the religious nutjobs of all faiths away from public beaches.

History is littered with asinine, immoral and inhumane laws. It's one's duty not to accept meekly but to protest.

You clearly are not worried about skin cancer! In some countries standard cover up beach wear especially for children is more common than naked skin. 

Thank you Dexterm, you nailed it.

And it is exactly this hate filled bigotry that is a very significant part of the entire problem.

Fortunately, here in Thailand, the authorities have much better sensibility with these issues.

I think, perhaps, we have a little misunderstanding, Dex.   I think it is perfectly OK for the nuns to wear their garb to the beach.   I don't see anything wrong with a Burkini either.   I was simply trying to figure out how they made the distinction between the two types of garb.   

I do regret baiting you with the remarks about the pictures and where and when they were taken.   

I think it is up to each country to decide what is or isn't appropriate.   In the case of France, it really doesn't make a lot of sense, IMO.   First, what constitutes being at the beach -- when you are on the sand ?   Maybe 10 Meters from the high tide mark?   

France has a problem.   I don't think dressing it up or down will cure it.

Again, my apologies for baiting you.   It's really not nice and you're points are well made.   

No it's a beach in wintertime apparently, where people have come for a walk on the sand - some with bicycle ( in the rear)  , some wearing raining caps, so noone is bathing , all watch at the sea.  

It's actually a beach of the Landes. More precisely at the town of Hossegor, where end of September there's regularly a surf championship.

The French Sisters of Consolation are giving spiritual support to the event. They can also be seen on events like the Tour de France...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

History is littered with asinine, immoral and inhumane laws. It's one's duty not to accept meekly but to protest.

You clearly are not worried about skin cancer! In some countries standard cover up beach wear especially for children is more common than naked skin. 

Ahhh the good old history claptrap. 

I do not accept meekly anything, but I do have enough brain cells to understand that there is some things that I will never influence or change so there is no point in trying and other avenues should be followed, hence the reason I am no longer in Europe.

No, skin cancer is not high on my list of things to worry about, something that you would understand if you knew anything about me.

And if your skin cancer comment had any merit, Muslim men would also be flocking to the beach wearing a burkini. I do not see you posting any of those Photo's. Another fail.

3 hours ago, Franky Bear said:

It's a shame these people don't sit outside known places in the UK that harbour terrorist ideologies like certain Mosques etc.

Or walk the streets in vocal protests when another Muslim attack happens in Europe.

Liberals, yeah, i get it, i'm a racist. I saved you a post :)

Don't they?  And you know this, how?  It is not as if the Muslim community has been silent in condemning terrorism, #not in my name

14 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Ahhh the good old history claptrap. 

I do not accept meekly anything, but I do have enough brain cells to understand that there is some things that I will never influence or change so there is no point in trying and other avenues should be followed, hence the reason I am no longer in Europe.

No, skin cancer is not high on my list of things to worry about, something that you would understand if you knew anything about me.

And if your skin cancer comment had any merit, Muslim men would also be flocking to the beach wearing a burkini. I do not see you posting any of those Photo's. Another fail.

This is clearly where you and I differ in our approach to injustice.

"A thousand candles can be lighted from the flame of one candle" (Mahatma Gandhi)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." 
(Edmund Burke)

As a male, albeit non Moslem, I would not dream of going swimming for more than 10 minutes without wearing a T shirt and a hat...just hope French police would not confuse it for a turban, yarmulke or Rasta beret. 

I think you are missing the point. I don't need anyone to tell me what to wear or not wear in the sea for my personal reasons, and neither do those women wearing a burkini.

43 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

if i was a female wearing a burkha thing i would not want to go to the beach and if i did i would not move to a country that banned them.

You are sidestepping the issue.

What if you were a female who wanted to wear one of those "burqha things" and you were born there? It's their country too.

It's only a few decades ago that soldiers and police were rounding up fellow citizens of another religion who were not adhering to their legal dress code. My ancestors fought to liberate France from these fascists. The irony is astounding.

40 minutes ago, dexterm said:

I think you are missing the point. I don't need anyone to tell me what to wear or not wear in the sea for my personal reasons, and neither do those women wearing a burkini.

It is you that is missing the point. 

It matters not what you want and need.

What matters is what the Authorities say you can do. That is fact, whether you like it or not.

9 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

It is you that is missing the point. 

It matters not what you want and need.

What matters is what the Authorities say you can do. That is fact, whether you like it or not.

And if the law is an ass and authorities decree you can't eat in this diner, or you must drink from that water fountain, or you have to sit at the back of the bus, or you can't wear a burkini, you accept that; I don't.

3 minutes ago, dexterm said:

And if the law is an ass and authorities decree you can't eat in this diner, or you must drink from that water fountain, or you have to sit at the back of the bus, or you can't wear a burkini, you accept that; I don't.

I have already addressed this point for you.

Perhaps it is time you stopped bashing your keyboard and showed some solidarity with those that you so vehemently support.

Grab a flight to France, buy a burkini and get down to one of the beaches that are covered by this ban.

After all, you do not accept it, so go show some action.

or you can't wear a burkini, you accept that; I don't.

Remember to have it video'd it and posted right here on ThaiVisa.

3 hours ago, Opl said:

Its not a law its a measure some 20 mayors took for a limited period of time - till end of august - in order to prevent confrontation among people on the beach - due to recent repeated  tragic events : terrorists attacks - policemen murderers etc.. ( I'm not recalling all the context - but it's important to understand)   

- it is not a "collective punishment "  - 16 persons were fined in Nice ( were the truck drove through the crowd - search " bastille day terrorist attack in Nice " if you are interested in knowing more ) - very few women choose to wear burkinis -   

- it is not retaliation or punishment,  you really are exagereting when comparing  hundreds of people killed or wounded with those women who have been fined.

It's a misguided measure playing to a unreasonable fear of muslims being promoted by a right wing fringe to further their xenophobic agenda.

TH