Surin Immigration Funds on Deposit for Retirement Visa

I have recently moved in to the Surin Immigration District and will be renewing my Retirement Visa there next year. I am using the B 800,000 money in the bank method. Two or three weeks ago there was a Post on here from a guy who is in similar circumstances. He said that Surin Immigration is now requiring that such funds must be only in fixed-term deposits, and not in a savings account.

This is contrary to common sense, and also contrary to other threads I have seen on here in recent months stating that some Immigration offices will only accept savings accounts.  Apparently, these offices want to see evidence that the applicant is living off of the funds he brought to Thailand, and not just "parking" B 800,000 in a bank here, while supporting himself in some other manner. For that, they want to see a record of regular deposits and withdrawals, which would be nonsensical in a fixed-term account.

I have attempted to contact the OP with a couple of questions, but to no avail. I am soon to begin the process of aligning my funds for next year's renewal, in terms of term deposits and their maturity dates. (I am also planning to keep some of the funds in a savings account.)   I am intending to go in to Surin Immigration within the next few days, but want as much background information as possible before talking to them. I want to know what questions to ask, and perhaps, what questions not to ask.

If you are relating your experience from another Immigration district, please indicate that. This seems to be an area with a lot of variation between what particular offices want.

never had a problem in 7yrs.of extensions with the funds [800,000] in a fixed term deposit acc. as it is never touched they immigration have asked what we live on?so i always take our current account book in with me that has money transfer's and weekly drawings in it.

EXCEPTED.

11 minutes ago, Horatio Poke said:

I was told last year by Kap Choeng Immigration that any deposit in BAAC bank would not be accepted.  I used by Bangkok Bank instant access savings account for the proof without problem.

BAAC or Bank for Agriculture and Agriculture Cooperative is for Thais only not for a foreigner. 

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

BAAC or Bank for Agriculture and Agriculture Cooperative is for Thais only not for a foreigner. 

You are wrong.

I, a foreigner, have two accounts with our local BAAC branch, which is why I asked KCI if they would accept a BAAC account and covering letter for extension of stay purposes in the first place.

I opened my two BAAC accounts quite separately several months apart.  The first account that I opened was an instant access account with passbook and ATM card exactly the same as my Bangkok Bank accounts.  I opened it with 500 Baht and my passport.  I was welcomed with open arms.  I have since found that BAAC offers excellent service.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Horatio Poke said:

You are wrong.

I, a foreigner, have two accounts with our local BAAC branch, which is why I asked KCI if they would accept a BAAC account and covering letter for extension of stay purposes in the first place.

I opened my two BAAC accounts quite separately several months apart.  The first account that I opened was an instant access account with passbook and ATM card exactly the same as my Bangkok Bank accounts.  I opened it with 500 Baht and my passport.  I was welcomed with open arms.  I have since found that BAAC offers excellent service.

I stand corrected. Thats a first for me. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

Several immigration officers have told me that they prefer to see the B800,000 in a time deposit account because it is easier for them to check that the balance has not fallen below the B800,000 in the two to three months waiting period. The problem with the savings account is that if you have a lot of entries and you get the book updated on the day you hand it over, it could be consolidated and not show a possible dip below the magic B800,000 minimum. It actually does make sense that you have this as an emergency fund in addition to your savings account and not to live on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

Several immigration officers have told me that they prefer to see the B800,000 in a time deposit account because it is easier for them to check that the balance has not fallen below the B800,000 in the two to three months waiting period. The problem with the savings account is that if you have a lot of entries and you get the book updated on the day you hand it over, it could be consolidated and not show a possible dip below the magic B800,000 minimum. It actually does make sense that you have this as an emergency fund in addition to your savings account and not to live on.

There is no uniformity in this immigration requirement of Baht 800,000 everyone in every office has its own idea and the worse are the Temp females.

The only one that knows what the immigration SOP says is the Head Honcho of the office and the officers working with the Head Honcho for several years. Unfortunately the ones that accept the paperwork, "are there and gone tomorrow" as I call them Temps, and that is why you see so many different explanations in these Posts.

Best advice based on dealing with them for decades; "KEEP your cool" when dealing with them, they have the stamp that you want in your passport and loosing you cool does not get it in your passport. Never mind what another district immigration office said, do what the immigration office you are in, says.

Edited by swerver
  • Like 1

On 27,August, 2016 at 10:27 AM, allane said:

To Estrada - which Immigration office are you talking about please ?

I would ignore that post. The most important thing for immigration is that, whatever type of account the money is in, it is instantly accessible. It is supposed to be the money you live off during the 1 year temporary permission to stay.