How to get motivation to exercise, Help!!!

Evadne

I wake up early the morning, head for the gym and am finished by 9am. I try to do two days on and one day off. 

Doing it first thing gets it over with, otherwise you will procrastinate and not do it later on the day. Taking the third day off is something to look forward to, and rests your body before the next two day session.

I'm still lazy at times but generally speaking this works for me.

missus watched the Olympics

well that wore her out - just watching it!!

with no need to think about exercise for another 4 years :redcard2:

I just jump onto the Recumbent and pedal the highway several mornings each week, getting  back  around sunset

... trouble is that all this go go go, simulates that of a soldier being Issued Bromide in his tea in WW2

I have a Gym Rat friend, he is in his seventies now, weighs himself every morning without clothes and if he gains even 1 kg, he is off to the gym...............but he has been doing this all his life, I could not keep up with him, that is his motivation.  Mine was seeing all the female hotties in the Gym workout, especially the weight lifters,  awesome.   Pick a goal, achieve it, pick another one, achieve that, now that I am older, I am more worried about Balance than ever before........so now I am concentrating on Balance exercises, not Yoga, but similar.:thumbsup:

Good luck in your quest.............

The OP said "Joined gym 2 years ago and was very disciplined going there 4-5 times a week. After achieving my goal, cut down to 3x a week. For the past 2 months, i didn't even go a single day  sad.gif How do the regular gym goers motivate yourself to go?."

Which sounds a bit like me.  2 years ago I was starting to get a belly, so I adjusted my diet and lifestyle and in 6 months I lost 11 kg's, putting me back to a more normal weight of 72 kgs (185 cm tall).

Once I was back to having a flat stomach I started to let my diet slip from time to time and now I've noticed I'm getting fat again (I'm up to 77 kg's).

But I can't seem to motivate myself as much at the moment.  I think partly it is because at 77 kgs I'm not yet looking at myself in the mirror and feeling disgusted with myself, but at 80+ kg's of course I would.

The other reason is although I'm single, I'm not looking for a girlfriend so I don't feel the drive to maintain a flat stomach like I do when I'm trying to attract a mate.

There is no gym anywhere near where I live, so I have one at home. Using it is one of the best parts of my day. I choose the music I want to listen to, preferably something with a good, strong beat, and fill up my SD card. Then I go out to my gym, which is under my bedroom, but has no exterior wall, so I get plenty of fresh air, and usually I do between 1 and 2 hours exercise every day, before having a shower, and breakfast while I watch an hour's TV.
It's all in one's attitude. Train yourself to enjoy exercise, because it is good for you, improves your health, vitality, and prolongs your life.
Good luck and good health !

5 hours ago, seancbk said:

The OP said "Joined gym 2 years ago and was very disciplined going there 4-5 times a week. After achieving my goal, cut down to 3x a week. For the past 2 months, i didn't even go a single day  sad.gif How do the regular gym goers motivate yourself to go?."

Which sounds a bit like me.  2 years ago I was starting to get a belly, so I adjusted my diet and lifestyle and in 6 months I lost 11 kg's, putting me back to a more normal weight of 72 kgs (185 cm tall).

Once I was back to having a flat stomach I started to let my diet slip from time to time and now I've noticed I'm getting fat again (I'm up to 77 kg's).

But I can't seem to motivate myself as much at the moment.  I think partly it is because at 77 kgs I'm not yet looking at myself in the mirror and feeling disgusted with myself, but at 80+ kg's of course I would.

The other reason is although I'm single, I'm not looking for a girlfriend so I don't feel the drive to maintain a flat stomach like I do when I'm trying to attract a mate.

I was like you.. i got fat.. hated myself hated looking in the mirror and was disgusted with my body. Worked out hard dieted lost 25 kg got quite lean. Since then I always stayed there. The thing is you need to make permanent changes if you don't you slip back.

I don't do it to attract the girls, though a lean body certainly helps a lot to get attention without having to take your wallet out. I do it because I hate the fat me. I don't ever want to see him again in the mirror. Sure i got periods where I get a few KG's heavier and then have to clean my diet up and it goes away again. 

Fact is staying lean is hard for some of us and it takes time. Just like building muscle does and looking good.. if it was easy everyone would do it. But its not easy (except for some genetic gifted people).  

Your weight does not sound high to me but on some bodies it could look fat depending on your build. I am a lot heavier and lean. 

On 8/28/2016 at 2:24 PM, bridge2bridge said:

If you want to be fit and healthy WHY do you need motivation?

I'm sure all these fat bellied people don't have any motivation to get rid of it.

That's why they all stay fat bellied people.

• 7 months later...

Best motivation is to find a chum to "spot" for you and you for him....When ol' Trans goes to the gym I am very happy folk are there, though not with friends it gives me inspiration to go that bit further than if I were totally alone. Sadly all my friends are my age and don't give a shit about fooling with weights, but l do know Thai lads are taking mental notes about what the ol' fella can do....Perhaps that is my bit of inspiration when l don't have a spotter....:stoner:

On 8/27/2016 at 5:19 PM, ClutchClark said:

I am just guessing you don't often decide to do an extra lap when you are finishing your run ?

;-)

I don't do any running, I cycle instead, I cycle everywhere I go in the village and outskirts.

The main issue for me is boredom! I just find "exercising" totally mind numbingly boring ! 

The only thing that works so far is cycling, I do enjoy riding the bike, stleast you need to be alert and the scenery is moving. 

Just now, CharlieH said:

The main issue for me is boredom! I just find "exercising" totally mind numbingly boring ! 

The only thing that works so far is cycling, I do enjoy riding the bike, stleast you need to be alert and the scenery is moving. 

That's why a "spotter" in the gym is great.....:smile:....."Come see me some time"....:giggle:

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i sell electric bikes in new zealand. when i move back to thailand i wont get a scooter i will get an electric bike. they can be used as a scooter with a hand throttle or with pedal assist to get some exercise. transport and exercise and no problems with the cops. 

That is very cool.

I'm guessing you also know about conversion kits?    I'm interested in building electric (assisted) 3 wheel bikes (box on the front).   

Is this something you could advise me on?

Cheers

17 minutes ago, seancbk said:

That is very cool.

I'm guessing you also know about conversion kits?    I'm interested in building electric (assisted) 3 wheel bikes (box on the front).   

Is this something you could advise me on?

Cheers

i dont know about the conversion kits but here is a pic of one of my bikes. the 750w bikes are just like a scooter with  60km range. a friend is selling one in pattaya on bahtsold.com. he also sells them and 3 wheelers in australia.  PM me if you want more info.

bike3.jpg

Archived