it happen again

White Christmas13

A while back I posted a topic about all my data being wiped out after a windows 10 update 

and would you believe it it happen again a few days ago I had to restore my comp to an 

earlier date again to get every thing back, as far as I know you can not stop automatic 

updates on windows 10 I searched for answers but no joy anybody knows how to stop 

the updates ? Your help is appreciated  it happen now 3 times 

2 hours ago, retoocs01 said:

I hardly doubt, that this is caused by Windows Update, especially three times.

Sounds like a hardware problem, probably faulty hdd/ssd or power supply.

PS: what happened to the "show preview" in this forum software?

It happens every time I turn on the computer after it says (getting windows ready, after I switched it of the night before ) no probs 

with power supply and my laptop is brand new (well a few month old) never ever had a problem with windows  8, only 

since I switched over to 10 

When you say you've "lost everything", what exactly do you mean?

Updating Windows, even on the Insider Preview Fast Ring, does not delete Data directories.

In fact the only thing I can think of is if you don't check beforehand, upgrading from 7 to 10 removes programs that are incompatible.

1 minute ago, Chicog said:

When you say you've "lost everything", what exactly do you mean?

Updating Windows, even on the Insider Preview Fast Ring, does not delete Data directories.

In fact the only thing I can think of is if you don't check beforehand, upgrading from 7 to 10 removes programs that are incompatible.

Well just spare me  a minute will  you OK ? Imaging you turn off your comp  at night 

turn it on again the next morning  and it tells you  wait till I update  or some thing

and then after it updates  your whole computer is chanced  how do you like this?

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

Well just spare me  a minute will  you OK ? Imaging you turn off your comp  at night 

turn it on again the next morning  and it tells you  wait till I update  or some thing

and then after it updates  your whole computer is chanced  how do you like this?

Did it start by saying "Hi"?

Edited by Chicog

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

so how come you know this ? have you had this problem as well?

I haven't had this problem. I had the computer update at inconvenient times though so I disabled the updates. I can install the ones I want when I'm know I'm not going to need to use the comp. 

There are some good Youtube vids on tweaking Windows 10.

Edited by Rob13

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I'm not a spelling/grammar nazi, but I'm pretty sure "chanced" is a typo, and honestly, I can't figure out what you really meant to say.  Changed?  If so, changed *how*?

You haven't actually LOST anything it has just been moved to " Windows old " Everything you had saved on your computer before the update is still there. My friend thought the exact same thing I just had to spend a few minutes looking to find it all.

On 8/28/2016 at 10:37 PM, White Christmas13 said:

But that is not the problem i have every time I update ( automatic update ) I lose every file 

every pic all my e-mails all my desktop Icons  

How can you loose your e-mails? :w00t: They aren't stored on your PC, BTW. 

Anyway, a complete system Reset might fix your issues. 

Edited by lostinisaan

It could *possibly* be this, if it was the Anniversary Update that installed.

In which case follow the advice and Revert to the previous release.

Partitions may be missing after installing the Anniversary Update

Sharath Srinivasa
Sharath Srinivasa started on August 12, 2016See post history

Hi,

Microsoft has received a small number of reports of partitions not appearing in File Explorer after installing the Anniversary Update.  When viewing the partition in Disk Management, it appears as RAW, unallocated space.

Microsoft is aware of this issue and is working on a solution to be released through Windows Update.  Any data you have stored on the affected partition is still there.  We recommend that you not try to recover or otherwise write data to the affected partition, nor should you format the partition.  We will update this thread when a patch is released.  If you would like to be notified when this thread is updated, click the Subscribe button at the end of this post.

For up to days 10 days after installing the Anniversary Update, Windows includes the ability to “go back” or return to the previous build if you are experiencing this issue and do not want to wait for the patch to be released.

To uninstall the Anniversary Update:

1. Open the Settings app.

2. Select Update & security and then the Recovery tab.

3. Under “Go back to an earlier build”, click the Get started button and follow the instructions.

(Note: If more than 10 days have elapsed since installing the Anniversary Update or the “Go back” option is otherwise not available; we ask for your patience until a patch can be released.   Please check back on this thread for an update.)

Thanks!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/partitions-may-be-missing-after-installing-the/ffafb34b-df6e-4c61-927d-babf29b46b87?auth=1

Edited by Chicog

On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 2:47 AM, Chicog said:

But backed up of course?

:thumbsup:

But of course, every time I log in my email db is copied to one of several folders, which are also backed up regularly to normally off-line drives.  Then there's the system images done each week to other drives, also backed up to ...  You get the idea! :)

I was perusing my emails recently and found some from January 1996   :D  . No bl**dy use to anyone, but... 

Just a quickie if anyone is on the Insider Preview:

MS have shot themselves in the foot with Build 14915.

They say it disables Wifi on Surface 1 and Surface 2, but the forums are filling up with all sorts of network adapters going tits up.

So if you're on Build 14905, I'd stick with it until until the next one.