Bangkok Spends 50 Million Baht To End Violent Behaviors In Families

Jai Dee

Bangkok spent 50 million baht to end violent behaviors in families

Bangkok Deputy Governor Putthipong Punnakun (พุทธิพงษ์ ปุณณกันต์) and Thai Health Promotion Foundation Vice President Udomsilp Srisangnam (อุดมศิลป์ ศรีแสงนาม) held a press conference on the 'Youth Power to End Violence' event. The event has been held on every 25th of November to campaign against violence on women and children.

Mr. Putthipong said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has a policy of improving the quality of life to create a good environment in the capital. The policy opposes the use of violence against family members, while strengthening the communities. The BMA has established the Violence Prevention Fund with the supporting budget of 50 million baht.

Meanwhile, Prof. Dr. Udomsilp said the alarming trend is the increasing of silent crime in families, adding that 90 percent of the wrongdoers are men. The World Health Organization's statistics showed 70 percent of women were treated cruelly. The International Health Policy Program analyzed that the economic damage stemmed from violence in families, and the total cost of damage was 36,687 million baht per year, or 0.5 % of Thailand's GDP.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2006

Bangkok spent 50 million baht to end violent behaviors in families

Bangkok Deputy Governor Putthipong Punnakun (พุทธิพงษ์ ปุณณกันต์) and Thai Health Promotion Foundation Vice President Udomsilp Srisangnam (อุดมศิลป์ ศรีแสงนาม) held a press conference on the 'Youth Power to End Violence' event. The event has been held on every 25th of November to campaign against violence on women and children.

Mr. Putthipong said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has a policy of improving the quality of life to create a good environment in the capital. The policy opposes the use of violence against family members, while strengthening the communities. The BMA has established the Violence Prevention Fund with the supporting budget of 50 million baht.

Meanwhile, Prof. Dr. Udomsilp said the alarming trend is the increasing of silent crime in families, adding that 90 percent of the wrongdoers are men. The World Health Organization's statistics showed 70 percent of women were treated cruelly. The International Health Policy Program analyzed that the economic damage stemmed from violence in families, and the total cost of damage was 36,687 million baht per year, or 0.5 % of Thailand's GDP.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2006

it is so sad to read this...........Thailand would be the last place I would have thought

where we would see an " alarming trend ...........increasing of silent crime in families "

what's happening ? :o

Be wary of these types of figures; they usually come from some organisation with an agenda, or something to sell.

The average Thai family still seems a closer, more "tight-knit" unit than Western counterparts.

Most of the breakdowns and dysfunctionality in the family seems to stem from cheap whisky and drugs.

Be wary of these types of figures; they usually come from some organisation with an agenda, or something to sell.

The average Thai family still seems a closer, more "tight-knit" unit than Western counterparts.

Most of the breakdowns and dysfunctionality in the family seems to stem from cheap whisky and drugs.

...and gambling

Yes, I agree that these statistics come with ulterior motives. If you can show a big enough problem, then you can get more money. For example 70% of women have been treated cruelly? That sounds a little strange. What women, where, when and by whom? What do they define as cruelty.

So next year look for an even bigger increase in numbers and even more money to combat the problem.

I don't know about statistical figures, but many of my female friends told me, that they were beaten on a regularly basis by their husbands, even raped. When their relationship broke up, they knew one thing for sure: They never ever wanted to have a new relationship with a Thai. Even if they didn't mind the drinking or the husband's girlfriends, they couldn't stand the physical attacks.

I don't know about statistical figures, but many of my female friends told me, that they were beaten on a regularly basis by their husbands, even raped. When their relationship broke up, they knew one thing for sure: They never ever wanted to have a new relationship with a Thai. Even if they didn't mind the drinking or the husband's girlfriends, they couldn't stand the physical attacks.

Rajah I'm just curious -have your friends ever mentioned whether this behavior by

their husbands is something that also went on in previous generations in Thailand

or is it a phenomenon of Thailand in the 21st century?

:o I think a good way to start is to ban all depictions of violence against women on the telly. i don't speak Thai, but I am astute enough to figure out family relationships depicted in what can only be soap operas. I occasionally see these and -(this is a huge generalisation I know), they either show a ghost or someone giving a woman a right hander. :D

for those of you that question the existence of these domestic violence, I cant quote statistics but can definitely tell you that this is really the case. not just in the western world, but also exist even in society like thailand, and also in our neighbouring country like Malaysia.

and yes most of the time the problem starts as a result of alcohol and drug abuse, plus the youth sees what goes on in the family, where women are not respected and physical as well as verbal abuse is common, so they go on to repeat the same thing. in many cases there is also financial abuse to consider.

also keep in mind that based on limited work i have done with people in communities, a majority would not even report the incidences..atleast not to the police. some more might talk to other organisations such as women centres and the like. the 70% reported here could be a combination of these. the other thing is the problem is not only prevalent among the poor, BUT it affects the poor more, while the middle class family the women have some other means to find help for themselves (independence, finacial security play a role)

some of the stories and photographs I have seen would bring tears to most people's eyes. the worst part is...most of the perpretrators are always people that you know...husbands, partners, boyfriends and also family members....sad but true.....

and ksmart...if such organisations are selling the message that still a large number of women and youth suffer from domestic violence and other related violence against women, then I applause them! cos personally I feel there isnt enough done to educated people on the need to respect but most of all not harm women simply because of our gender and the fact that we are the weaker half...physically or otherwise.

infact I urge you all to get involved to help end the problem in one way or the other....

to the menfolk....this might be of interest to you...

http://www.whiteribbon.ca/

Cheers

Rajah I'm just curious -have your friends ever mentioned whether this behavior by

their husbands is something that also went on in previous generations in Thailand

or is it a phenomenon of Thailand in the 21st century?

I asked: The mothers were in the same situation.