Nong Khai - Friendship Bridge Crossing for border bounce

Hi,

I have a multi entry non o visa.

It is the first one I have got so have not done a border bounce before to get another 90 day stamp.

My easiest exit route is to drive to friendship bridge (Laos border).  I am hoping some others with previous experience at this border crossing can give some tips or advice on how to make this in/out trip as quick and as painless as possible.

For example is it best to leave the car in Thailand and then hire a tuk tuk to take me across and back again?

Where can I find a arrival / departure card once I get to the bridge?

Are their agents trying to sell the crossing service and if so is it easier to use them or try and make the arrangements myself?

My wife is taking the trip with me and will I am sure want to come across the bridge and back with me, will this be helpful do you think or will it slow down the process?

I would appreciate any insight or help that you guys can offer.

thank you.

There are regular buses to take you across the bridge. Leave your car on the Thai side. If you avoid busy times of day (early morning and late afternoon especially) the process both for you and your wife is usually not too time consuming.

Best to park your car.

There is a shuttle bus across the bridge (no tuk tuks).

No agents there.

You will need to get a Lao visa on arrival after crossing the bridge. It will cost $30 to $42 dependent upon nationality or 1500 baht.

When you return to the Thai side you can get a arrival/departure card just before the immigration booths.

Your wife will get a 30 day visa exempt entry when she enters Laos if she has a passport. If she does not have a passport she will need to get a border pass to do the crossing.

i believe just parking the car in the car park, not the exit lane, and walking to the immigration counter to 'leave', get stamped etc. and than walking across two lanes to the arrival to re - enter will do just fine. the whole process seems very relaxed.

while i have not tried it - but i will in november - there appears no reason why you should have to enter laos at all.

you'll get your arrival card at the immigration booth, either walk up to it rather than line up and ask for the card over the top of all waiting, they'll hand it to you, somehow (a lot of people do it like that) or line up, get you arrival card when it is your turn, fill it in standing in front of the booth and 'edge' back in again by just placing your passport on the counter. no one will mind as you have lined up before.

i just left via bridge 3 and re - entered via bridge 2 last weekend.

Edited by manfredtillmann
spelling error
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

i believe just parking the car in the car park, not the exit lane, and walking to the immigration counter to 'leave', get stamped etc. and than walking across two lanes to the arrival to re - enter will do just fine. the whole process seems very relaxed.

while i have not tried it - but i will in november - there appears no reason why you should have to enter laos at all.

you'll get your arrival card at the immigration booth, either walk up to it rather than line up and ask for the card over the top of all waiting, they'll hand it to you, somehow (a lot of people do it like that) or line up, get you arrival card when it is your turn, fill it in standing in front of the booth and 'edge' back in again by just placing your passport on the counter. no one will mind as you have lined up before.

i just left via bridge 3 and re - entered via bridge 2 last weekend.

You have to enter Laos or you will be turned around and sent back by Thai immigration because you do not have entry and departure stamps for Laos. They check for those stamps.

yesterday no one checked nothing at mukdahan. nothing! i could have just driven through and i am pretty sure a few people did. i was through immigration and customs in less than 5 minutes...incl. lining up.

suggest to just try it, if they turn the op back he can still hop on the bus and cross over.

it would save him thb 1500 or so and a bit of time.

6 minutes ago, somo said:

I want to visit Laos for a couple of days not on a visa run. Can I get a re-entry permit at the border as I leave? I have 9 months left on my extension so don't want to waste it.

There is a re-entry permit desk at the crossing in Nong Khai. Not sure what the working hours are though.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Issanman said:

Are re-entry permits available at the other Friendship Bridge locations?  I want to cross at the Nakhon Phanom - Thakek bridge.

No

Nong Khai is the only crossing to Laos that has a re-entry permit desk.