Amex Uh-oh

So, now the American Express website informs me that they need my physical address or else they will suspend my charging privileges.  For they past five years the address of my mail forwarder has been sufficient, but they say that federal regulations now require this additional information.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  I assume if I were to provide my BKK address they would immediately close my account.  Has anyone had that experience.

I can do without the Amex card, which I only use for US transactions, but I hate to see my options disappear.

As well, I've had a US-issued Amex card billed to my overseas address for years. I believe the annual fee may be a bit higher with a foreign address.

Importantly, note that there's a catch hidden deep in Amex's fine print: with a foreign mailing address you don't get damage waiver  protection when you rent a car.

Don't have Amex card, but both Charles Schwab Bank and Capital One (credit and bank) moved to close my accounts when I tried to use the house address here in LoS. Used a relative's US street address instead.  Same for investments opened a few years ago. 

Navy Federal and USAA Credit Unions didn't have a problem with the Thai address, have sent credit and ATM cards here through regular mail.

Edited by 55Jay

Many institutions are proving difficult to deal with if overseas.  Some will still work if you had an existing account, but won't let new people join without valid USA addresses.  Slightly off topic the Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union which is pretty large stopped sending  international wires.  I was under the impression that Schwab was pretty good for internationals, but I guess I will have to look closer at that before opening an account there which I was about to do.  I use Etrade for all my brokerage and IRAs and Wells Fargo for my brick and mortar bank, and was going to open a Schwab for diversification when I roll this last 4 years of 401k money over to my IRA.  Getting close to retirement and I do plan to spend a lot of time out of country so I am trying to keep track of what works and what doesen't

Thanks

Edited by gk10002000