Abandoned shopping trolleys

phil2803

Not something I recall seeing is abandoned shopping trolleys in BKK and other cities.  I think they make use of bollards around car parks and security guards watching exits.  Here in Australia, Adelaide to be precise its a common site.  Is this something we can learn from Thailand?

They collect them here - I always leave on the street in front of local supermarket but the same staff that collect in parking area collect from street for those using taxi service.  Do not believe many would want to try and navigate them to there homes here - firstly because of the sun and secondly just walking on sidewalks is challenge enough.  

Typical cost to replace 130 GBP, expensive lose every time, When I was in UK I would inform the store, and very often they would offer a small reward if returned, best was 20 quid

18 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

the difference is that Thai people are good, moral, decent people.

More to the point the cost of labour over here is next to nothing so the major retailers can well afford to employ staff to collect the carts and issue a whistle which enables their employees a tremendous feeling of self importance...:thumbsup:

US stores have started taking the stealing of carts seriously, signs threatening arrests and fines for taking them off the premises.

And then there's the handbaskets for in-store shopping, which supposedly disappear as soon as they are made available.  In one store I asked a worker where the baskets are and she eyed me suspiciously, then said 'you can't take them out of the store.'  They are now putting detector tabs on them to prevent it.  Supposedly the well-made ones cost around US$75.  Are these things really that useful otherwise?

8 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

the difference is that Thai people are good, moral, decent people.

Not a surprise though, looking at the sort of moral and social decay Western society suffers from. :( 

most hilarious post of the day.....its still young though

Makes me laugh how people use a supermarket trolley to take their shopping back the their condo and just leave it there. Then the condo management keep it, put a chain and lock around it and you then have to sign it out if you want to use it. 

• 2 weeks later...