water and electric bill the same when everything is switched off

zoza

just got my water and electric bill after being away and the water switched off and electric not used 11 units of water = 440 baht ++

and the electric with even the fridge switched off 570 baht approx. the rate is supposedly minimal and I have lots of previous bills for the same

amount when we were staying here, we have never checked any meters and were considering signing a years lease but this appears to be blatant

or is there a reason, when we moved in we had to pay a few thousand for a leak that was not visible?  

You really need to read your meters.

11 units of water is a lot (11,000 Litres), particularly if the stop is turned off, there's a leak somewhere.

570 Baht of electricity, at government rates is about  142 units or 4.75 units per day, that equates to a load of around 200Watts. That could be a fan, or your fridge (are you sure it was actually off?)

Are you saying that the bill is the same regardless of whether you're there or not?

Definitely time to look at your meters then.

EDIT Does your bill come from the landlord or direct from the water / electric company? It should include current and previous meter readings and a per-unit charge rate.

my wife insists the water was turned off and the fridge was unplugged , the only thing is

her two daughters had spent one night there, but the water usage is always high and when we

first moved in they charged for fixing a leak.

the bills come from the condo management, and I will ask why the water reading is so high 

and find out where the meters are.

All good landlords take a time and date stamped photo of the meters as they read them, then keep the photos for reference.

Our building managers do this to every single meter, every month. They don't mind because most months someone queries something. The manager pulls the photo up and all problems solved on the spot.

There is no excuse for a Landlord not to do this.

An example is attached below.

1473091337485.jpg

On 8/30/2016 at 2:09 PM, Crossy said:

11 units of water is a lot (11,000 Litres), particularly if the stop is turned off, there's a leak somewhere.

570 Baht of electricity, at government rates is about  142 units or 4.75 units per day, that equates to a load of around 200Watts. That could be a fan, or your fridge (are you sure it was actually off?)

Are you saying that the bill is the same regardless of whether you're there or not?

EDIT Does your bill come from the landlord or direct from the water / electric company? It should include current and previous meter readings and a per-unit charge rate.

"You really need to read your meters.".

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not sure how reading your meters every month is all that helpful. The units used is written on your bill (elect anyway). In this instance you could check the meter OK, just to verify the units used. If it tallies with the bill then somebody has tapped into your elect wire (seeing as you weren't there).....if it does not tally then the meter reader read the wrong meter.

If someone spent a night there they likely plugged in the refrigerator and that will eat up a lot of electric usage for a house that does not use air conditioning.   The water usage is likely a leaking toilet (overflow) which will not be noticed unless you remove the cover and check water level (make sure stops below overflow tube).  

11,000 litres of water a month is about double the amount we use every month for two people, that's some leak! AND, 570 baht is half our normal electricity bill.

I suggest either leaks are responsible, the condo management has marked up the bills or your supplies are being tapped, whatever it is it aint right!

Maybe they confuse the meters... you pay for the neighbour and your neighbour pays for you and that since you moved in!
There is a switch near your electrical meter. Switch it off and wait until someone complains. You will see who's bill you pay.

Are you sure you have a water meter? I used to live with a girl in a 6 condo building and there was only one meter. The consumed water was divided by 6 regardless if the condo was occupied or not... :o

You will probably find the Condo management charge a fee regardless. Heard many instances of condo's and developments doing this and pocketing the profits. Ask them to show you the meters. As people have said there is probably only one water meter

On 8/30/2016 at 2:09 PM, Crossy said:

i think your landlord is robbing you mate.  Every house I know of has a water meter and an electric meter, so it is very simple to see what you have used.  I think the bills here are fantastic........so cheap.....in fact, I think I will leave stuff on purposely to try and get a bigger bill than 500 baht per month............ha ha ha....(kidding obviously)

Last water bill was under 500 bhat, yet, I have a 14,000 litre fish pond that gets topped up every 2-3 days with the tap left on for an hour or two.  Also have a huge garden, grass, flower pots etc, along with a fruit and vegetable plot that the GF waters every day (Unless it rains).

Yes, I would say for a condo that bill is way over the top.  

Have posted 2 pictures that only show half the pond and the front garden.  Your in a condo and you are paying same water as me.  As other members have said, ask to see the meter/s

Nokia phone 625.jpg

Nokia phone 397.jpg

Something's definitely wrong - so check things ASAP!

When, long ago, we used to live in Pattaya, we were required to pay for at least 4 units of water a month, regardless of whether we used them or not. This was for "maintenance purposes", we were told - and the manager certainly didn't want to "waste his time reading unused meters" without there being some payment. At 38 baht a unit the water bills soon mounted up if you weren't paying proper attention.

7 hours ago, chiang mai said:

11,000 litres of water a month is about double the amount we use every month for two people, that's some leak! AND, 570 baht is half our normal electricity bill.

I suggest either leaks are responsible, the condo management has marked up the bills or your supplies are being tapped, whatever it is it aint right!

yep. sombody is tapping it . turn all  power off and see if meter still reading .

Edited by sirmud63

"bill comes from Condo management"   There's your sign.  Corrupt Condo management is unfortunately the norm.  They not only over-charge, charge twice for the same service, they split TV and internet signals among condo units and collect the full amount of the service from each unit while the TV signal is crap and internet is spotty.

They appear to think they have a "blank-check" to fleece the owners at will. 

Good Luck!

The meters are crap too. I had 2 condos side by side, when i returned 1 condo had used a lot of electricity and the other used zero. Both were switched off and locked the whole time. I was told the meters often clock up units to generate cash for the electric co. When i went to the company they had a pile of 100+ in the corner with a guy fiddling with them.

wait.. you had to pay to fix a leak before you moved in??? Why that is the owners responsibility especially before you moved in. Even after you move in typically the contract states the owner is responsible for regular maintenance and repairs not caused by misuse by the tenant.  Sounds like the owner of pulling one over on you. You have not responded if you get billed direct from the utilities or from the owner.  If direct from the utilities someone is tapping into you connections of you have a leak. If no from the utilities then the owner is pulling a fast one or again back to a tap or leak.