Who told her opening a coffee shop was a good idea?

JJGreen

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Can I just ask you this why would you give your wife a monthly allowance, I for one can't understand why western man give wife , partner, girlfriend a monthly allowance.

i have never ever give my other half money to be with me , not understand it , is it just a thing here in thailand?.

Ok back home if you have a wife or partner 

you give them money to do the weekly shopping I understand that , but here I have heard of this monthly allowance Bulls??? , my thai partner put it to me when I first meet her and my reply was I don't pay someone to be with me , if your not happy see you later.

i take good care of her yes , but I will not pay someone a monthly allowance.

Same same,but different.You don't pay her but yet you pay for her.

Other interesting to me is how much money put into making their coffee shop something to rival Disneyland. With impressive concrete sculptures etc. Just wonder if anyone has done the math on how long it will take to recoup that investment.

Spoke to several people who see the price of rubber go up, plant rubber trees, then price collapses because of so much competition. Hard to find a monopoly. Probably people who have one, don't talk about it.

But happy to read some people here do it right.

Getting back to the question of why people do the coffee shop idea. I was speaking to the owner of a couple guesthouses. His wife was considering building a pool for the guests. I was trying to convince them not to do it, I said to the farang husband, the goal of the business is to make money right? I was a bit shocked when he answered that no, not really, it is to have something to do.

So maybe people just have to have a goal and a purpose? Once you have the retired farang, with the Thai girl who really doesn't have to work, you run out of things to keep you busy.

11 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

My hairdresser seems to have a similar income. It's 60 baht now, place is  his own and always full and making the math, he seems to be making good money. 50 cuts a day is 3 K times 6 or 7 and he's having enough money to live a good life.   

50 cuts a day? at 3 cuts an hour that's nearly 17 hours without any break. This 6-7 days a week. Talking about "to live a good life"

49 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Can I just ask you this why would you give your wife a monthly allowance, I for one can't understand why western man give wife , partner, girlfriend a monthly allowance.

i have never ever give my other half money to be with me , not understand it , is it just a thing here in thailand?.

I give my wife money, an "allowance" I suppose you could call it, 8,000 Baht a month to do with as she sees fit, it sure as h3ll isn't so she'll stay with me.

This is on top of the shopping we do each week, she uses it to buy the odd extra from the veggie/meat truck and if she needs extra help from the maid on her non-working days.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

My former husband in the UK gave me a gold credit card on his account, I spent a LOT.

Then when I divorced him he gave me his house, his children, half his pension and most of his savings.

I'm thinking he would have preferred the Thai monthly allowance method.

17 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Somewhere to live and park your gf where she can't cause trouble, with not too many losses, that's how I see most of the places. Less expensive than a hairdressers where she gives all her mates free hair dos at your expense. Way cheaper than a bar, where she is surrounded by loads of horny foreign guys with more money than you.

That theory works for shopfronts anyway.

Perhaps, if your g/f is an uneducated good for nothing. I don't understand why more of us don't find a g/fs who can look after themselves so you don't need to worry about these things.

4 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Perhaps, if your g/f is an uneducated good for nothing. I don't understand why more of us don't find a g/fs who can look after themselves so you don't need to worry about these things.

If she could look after herself, why would she be your g/f?

Edited by MissAndry

13 hours ago, DavisH said:

My hairdresser owns a little house-shop and has had regular customers for a number of years. She grosses 60K a month, and supplements it with making kanom and selling sim cards. This is out in the sticks near Ratchaburi too. Not a bad deal and beats the hell out of slogging away to get a degree and not have a job at the end. 

While I do understand when trying to make a point; people tend to inflate the numbers.

60,000 for cutting hair from her home, does not make sense.

Use 200 baht/ cut average . Some higher and some lower. I pay 100 bt. That is 300 people per month. If you go every

2 months; that is 600 regular customers. Still about 12 people per day, everyday. As no one in their home works 7 days/week. Then you add sim card sales etc.

If true, there would be 2-3 other open beside her for the over flow.

8 minutes ago, bark said:

While I do understand when trying to make a point; people tend to inflate the numbers.

Use 200 baht/ cut average . Some higher and some lower. I pay 100 bt. That is 300 people per month. If you go every

2 months; that is 600 regular customers. Still about 12 people per day, everyday. As no one in their home works 7 days/week. Then you add sim card sales etc.

One of the Thai ladies I have met, while trailing around after my NGO friend, was a hairdresser who has a shop in Loi Kroh CM. She specializes in doing bar girls hair, and often the bill is 1,000-2,000bht (extensions, colour, styling).

She can take 5-10k in a day and completely legit.

Edited by MissAndry

1 minute ago, MissAndry said:

One of the girls I have met while trailing around after my NGO friend was a hairdresser who has a shop in Loi Kroh CM. She specializes in doing hookers hair, and often the bill is 2,000bht (extensions, colour, styling).

She can take 10k in a day and completely legit.

I don't doubt it. But you are taking about a real business.  Not from her home.

CM has a lot of hookers. 10,000/ day , 26 days. 260,000/ month !

11 minutes ago, bark said:

Your basing your figures on mens hair cut. Whilst I agree 60k a month is good going. Ladies color my mrs charges 200bht. Straightening 500bht. Cut wash and dry 120 bht,  wash and dry 100bht. (Later 50 bht for older village ladies)

She usualy can do 4 or 5 colors a day.

There can be no average as some days she might get 10 to 15 customers for hair sometimes 2 or 3 weekends is always the busiest days. Most months she gets in excess of 40k which is for hair shop and coffee. She doesn't do mens hair but lots of students come at school finish time (we back onto local school) for eye brows 20 bht a time soon mounts up

Edited by Deepinthailand

17 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Did you accidentally answer to another post on the wrong page? Live and park your gf? Guess you meant leave and park, but even then it makes no sense. Sorry, I might haven't read that it's about bar girls here.

You're paying for your gf's friends' hair jobs? And what about the horny foreigners with more money?  A joke? 

Coffee shops pop up almost everywhere in our city and not to many people sit inside.

I've tried a coffee once, served in a plastic cup inside the shop. 

Edited to add:

It's the same with so many other shops here. One starts a business and it runs well. Then you can see a similar shop not far away and within a few months they're all over the city.

They don't seem to recognize that they destroy each other's business by doing so. 

I don't know if he is wrong but what I am sure is that he knows better than you. I read only the truth in his post.

1 hour ago, HenryB said:

It seems many Farangs can not stop wife's from open any business that they know nothing about 

These women (and that's the most of them) are either really bored at home, or want the "status" of being a boss/manager of something. Sitting there acting like they own a shop so they can invite their friends and family over to look.

Childish.

Edited by mesterm

I recently visited Korea (the south one) and I was amazed by the cheer number of automatic coffee dispenser machines and how advanced they where and also very reliable. The taste was always outstanding because it was made with freshly ground beans. A selection available for every taste.

I think that would be something of a good business idea in Thailand, I even checked the cost of a machine and it was like 40k - 100k for each machine, affordable.

What I hate about those small shops in Thailand is you have to wait for the shop to prepare all the machinery and cleaning that goes into producing just one single cup of coffee, and then when you finally get it it tastes like **deleted** because the person operating the machine have no idea how to operate an espresso machine in the first place, better off doing the nescafe in the nearby 7-eleven with the bag of stuff that you throw away most of it and only keep the coffee to mix with the hot water.

Coffee shops will only succeed in very busy places like hospitals where people spend a long time hanging around waiting .

More successful are small kiosks out of doors , they sell a variety of iced drinks including coffee .  Thais are not real coffee drinkers like Italians or French .

2 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Your basing your figures on mens hair cut. Whilst I agree 60k a month is good going. Ladies color my mrs charges 200bht. Straightening 500bht. Cut wash and dry 120 bht,  wash and dry 100bht. (Later 50 bht for older village ladies)

There can be no average as some days she might get 20 to 30 customers for hair sometimes 2 or 3 weekends is always the busiest days. Most months she gets in excess of 40k which is for hair shop and coffee. She doesn't do mens hair but lots of students come at school finish time (we back onto local school) for eye brows 20 bht a time soon mounts up

4 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

There can be no average as some days she might get 20 to 30 customers for hair sometimes 2 or 3 weekends is always the busiest days. Most months she gets in excess of 40k which is for hair shop and coffee. She doesn't do mens hair but lots of students come at school finish time (we back onto local school) for eye brows 20 bht a time soon mounts up

OK, thanks.

hairdressing is the latest craze, they go to these schools/colleges, with promises of earning good money, hand over a big wedge of "hard earned" ?  and a couple of months later they are back in the bar working. the number of girls i know who are " qualified hairdressers"  still i do get a good haircut, (ex salon owner) not here may i add.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

Ok back home if you have a wife or partner 

you give them money to do the weekly shopping I understand that , but here I have heard of this monthly allowance Bulls??? , my thai partner put it to me when I first meet her and my reply was I don't pay someone to be with me , if your not happy see you later.

i take good care of her yes , but I will not pay someone a monthly allowance.

silly question.

The allowance is both our money.   We both get allowances from the pot...for out of pocket expenses.    I am retired...and love my wife.  I want her to enjoy some independence as well.

I do feel sorry for your wife if you are the type to make her beg for every baht, when she goes to the market or buys something for both of you.

It is hard to find work...she is 50.   Owns and Manages a resort in Mae Hong Son but it does not bring in cash. We have two teenagers.

loosen up...dude.   I don't have a clue why you poke your nose into my financial decisions.....and I don't even know why I bothered explaining.

Edited by slipperylobster

14 minutes ago, Toscano said:

Coffee shops will only succeed in very busy places like hospitals where people spend a long time hanging around waiting .

Sala Cafe in Mae Rim, out in the wilds, no passing trade, makes a fortune.

A Swiss guy built it for his wife to have a hobby. Nice lady, nice guy (but French speaking). Very popular with Bangkok Thais on holiday.

https://www.facebook.com/mysalacafe

Edited by MissAndry

17 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

Did you accidentally answer to another post on the wrong page? Live and park your gf? Guess you meant leave and park, but even then it makes no sense. Sorry, I might haven't read that it's about bar girls here.

You're paying for your gf's friends' hair jobs? And what about the horny foreigners with more money?  A joke? 

Coffee shops pop up almost everywhere in our city and not to many people sit inside.

I've tried a coffee once, served in a plastic cup inside the shop. 

Edited to add:

It's the same with so many other shops here. One starts a business and it runs well. Then you can see a similar shop not far away and within a few months they're all over the city.

They don't seem to recognize that they destroy each other's business by doing so. 

Exactly what I was thinking Lostinisaan.

Was having a hard time trying to decipher those comments.

12 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

My hairdresser seems to have a similar income. It's 60 baht now, place is  his own and always full and making the math, he seems to be making good money. 50 cuts a day is 3 K times 6 or 7 and he's having enough money to live a good life.

I feel sorry for all the people who've got kids and a little noodle soup shop that they have to move on daily basis. They're hardly making enough money to pay the school fees.

You can watch the pawn shops at the beginning of each school year, always very busy. A degree here isn't worth anything in the Western world. Like toilet paper, maybe not that soft. 

A friend who wanted to get his wife, a high school teacher a job in Germany had to stop searching, because All he could find was a Autobahn restaurant looking for a maid and a hotel seeking people to clean rooms.

Who does 50 haircuts a day?

Deep in Thailand,,,, I applaud you. We have a similar relationship & business, just a different product. 

18 years , she still makes money every month,.

Get cracking on that coffee, massage do not be concerned about all the doomsday people with a chip on their shoulder.

Most of them should have been returned home long ago

21 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

hairdressing is the latest craze, they go to these schools/colleges, with promises of earning good money, hand over a big wedge of "hard earned" ?  and a couple of months later they are back in the bar working. the number of girls i know who are " qualified hairdressers"  still i do get a good haircut, (ex salon owner) not here may i add.

Big wedge of money for what????

You can never have enough coffee shops, especially ones with nice AC. My current favourite is opposite the Pattaya Memorial hospital, however, I think the owner is a Russian lady. Very good coffee & cool food menu, good prices.

I've seen some really great efforts by Thais but sadly many don't last due to their location. I try my best to get round them all!

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Deep in Thailand,,,, I applaud you. We have a similar relationship & business, just a different product. 

18 years , she still makes money every month,.

Get cracking on that coffee, massage do not be concerned about all the doomsday people with a chip on their shoulder.

Most of them should have been returned home long ago

Thanks but she doesn't do massage just hair.