Would you choose phuket or pattaya for a holiday?

Howitzer

I honestly wonder if some of you commenting here have actually ever been to Phuket , or did you just catch a couple of youtube videos of Bangla road ?

Its a big Island with a lot of variety , impossible to compare it with a city such as Pattaya.

Also Phuket can be horrendously expensive during the peak season but a bargain in May /June when many beach areas are quiet and hotels massively discount their rates.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Balance said:

Neither!  What kind of holiday are you looking for? Do some research.  There are better places, even if you want to drink yourself stupid.

Well obviously if i'm asking about pattaya and phuket particularly patong i couldn't be looking at the cultural aspect or the religious aspect of the country or could i?

Which other place could i drink myself silly?

Well obviously if i'm asking about pattaya and phuket particularly patong i couldn't be looking at the cultural aspect or the religious aspect of the country or could i?

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the 711 steps near his village

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 9/6/2016 at 10:05 PM, elgenon said:

Brutal bouncers? Please elaborate. Have you had personal experience?

Re-reading your post it sounds as though you doubt someone would get "much more of an experience in the provinces". No sure what that means though.

My experience is that I have never had a problem w a bouncer. I think you have to act like a large idiot to have problems. If they cost the bar money for no reason they would be fired. Money is the grail.

No I have not had problems with bouncers mostly as I am a family man and don't go to bars and clubs much - very rarely actually - but I do read repeated news stories about bouncers beating people up.  I expect you are right that you need to be an idiot or drunk to get the beating you don't need but the job of the bouncer is not to chase people down the street to beat them up - just stop them getting in to the club where they might cause more trouble.  Being a bit drunk or stupid is not a valid reason to beat seven bells out of people.

I am not quite sure how you interpreted 'you will get much more of an experience in the provinces' as somehow negative.  If you are looking for sex outlets they are everywhere - just more accessible, in your face and more obvious in the likes of Pattaya and Phuket and if that is your preference - well you won't find it admiring the scenery in the National Parks or visiting historic buildings I guess.

On 9/7/2016 at 6:48 AM, joecoolfrog said:

I honestly wonder if some of you commenting here have actually ever been to Phuket , or did you just catch a couple of youtube videos of Bangla road ?

Its a big Island with a lot of variety , impossible to compare it with a city such as Pattaya.

Also Phuket can be horrendously expensive during the peak season but a bargain in May /June when many beach areas are quiet and hotels massively discount their rates.

I lived in Phuket for 10 years - it is NEVER a bargain.

• 2 months later...
On 9/12/2016 at 7:19 AM, timewilltell said:

I lived in Phuket for 10 years - it is NEVER a bargain.

My friend living in Phuket Patong beach said the prices keep going up,

because the chinese come in their thousands all year round.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:34 AM, Howitzer said:

Depending on your age I would recommend staying in Jomtein Beach. The craziness of Pattaya is a short Baht Bus away, the beaches are tolerable.

If you haven't been to Pattaya then you owe it to yourself to see what it's all about.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:21 PM, Nice Boyd said:

I believe Phuket Province is 35% more expensive and transport around Phuket is Ridiculously Overpriced

When it comes to food, which is ridiculously expensive on Phuket, you can mooch about in the back streets, like Chiang Mai, and find out the stalls where the Thais eat their 30 baht dishes.  You'll be afforded the same 30 baht dishes as the locals.

Depending on your age I would recommend staying in Jomtein Beach. The craziness of Pattaya is a short Baht Bus away, the beaches are tolerable.

If you haven't been to Pattaya then you owe it to yourself to see what it's all about.

Absolutely. And accommodation in any of the view talay buildings is highly recommended

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 9:05 AM, elgenon said:

Re-reading your post it sounds as though you doubt someone would get "much more of an experience in the provinces". No sure what that means though.

My experience is that I have never had a problem w a bouncer. I think you have to act like a large idiot to have problems. If they cost the bar money for no reason they would be fired. Money is the grail.

I do not frequent the bars, but from what I have read or heard, the bouncers  always look for excuses to beat Farangs up so their bosses will see them doing their jobs. If they just stand at the door talking and doing nothing else night after night, week after week then their bosses might just pay them off the save them money as they are already getting paid for doing nothing.

If I used the bars, I would only use the ones who did not employ bouncers, I know there are plenty of them as I have walked up and down Soi Cowboy and other bar areas.

I do not frequent the bars, but from what I have read or heard, the bouncers  always look for excuses to beat Farangs up so their bosses will see them doing their jobs. If they just stand at the door talking and doing nothing else night after night, week after week then their bosses might just pay them off the save them money as they are already getting paid for doing nothing.
If I used the bars, I would only use the ones who did not employ bouncers, I know there are plenty of them as I have walked up and down Soi Cowboy and other bar areas.

If that a were the case you would read about 20 bashings a day and not the 1 a month.
Your logic is completely flawed, why would you think any bar owner would want to see customers bashed?
On the contrary, bouncers are doing there work just by standing there and being visible. Of course there are bad apples but that's the way of the world sunshine

On 9/7/2016 at 9:05 AM, elgenon said:

7 minutes ago, mcfish said:

If that a were the case you would read about 20 bashings a day and not the 1 a month.
Your logic is completely flawed, why would you think any bar owner would want to see customers bashed?
On the contrary, bouncers are doing there work just by standing there and being visible. Of course there are bad apples but that's the way of the world sunshine

One a month???? There are about 60 motorbike fatalities every day in Thailand, how many do you read about Sunshine?

One a month???? There are about 60 motorbike fatalities every day in Thailand, how many do you read about Sunshine?

Errrmm sunshine are you drunk? You may want to check my post again

Or you serious suggested motor bike statistics are some relevant lol

Back to bars I have never even seen a single westerner bashed by anyone in 10 years by other farang or Thai! and I do go to bars and since you don't you will have to take my word for it

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You don't frequent bars yet you walk around Soi Cowboy and other adult venues. Interesting, creepy yet interesting.

What do you mean by creepy, I walk up and down Sukhumvit, along Beach Road from one end to the other, do not go down Walking Street, or through Nana Plaza, or Patpong, walk down Soi Cowboy, I like to see pretty girls, what is wrong with that? I do go to Bangkok and Pattaya sometimes for a break.

Now explain yourself about "creepy". Just because I'm a non drinker.

11 hours ago, mcfish said:

Errrmm sunshine are you drunk? You may want to check my post again

Or you serious suggested motor bike statistics are some relevant lol

Back to bars I have never even seen a single westerner bashed by anyone in 10 years by other farang or Thai! and I do go to bars and since you don't you will have to take my word for it

You know nothing about me so welcome to my ignore list, now run along Sunshine.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What do you mean by creepy, I walk up and down Sukhumvit, along Beach Road from one end to the other, do not go down Walking Street, or through Nana Plaza, or Patpong, walk down Soi Cowboy, I like to see pretty girls, what is wrong with that? I do go to Bangkok and Pattaya sometimes for a break.

Now explain yourself about "creepy". Just because I'm a non drinker.

"as I have walked up and down Soi Cowboy and other bar areas"

Ring a bell.

A non drinker who doesn't frequent bars yet knows them all. You're the one who started making comments about bouncers in bars which by your own admission you know nothing about.

Patong is NOT representative of Phuket Island or the Phuket Province.

Phuket has much more to offer a couple or family than Pattaya

Been living in Phuket since 1985 except for 2 years ( 1996, 2008) , yes its changed, yes prices have gone up, yes there more tourists,

so what? its still a great place to live or visit

Edited by phuketrichard