Australian DJ jailed for life in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

here here.

I'm with you 100% E made me a better person. I've had some of the best times of my life on it and met some amazing life long friends through it.

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, webfact said:

Australian and Brit are jailed for life in Thailand

dj.jpg

Lance Whitmore caught with ecstasy in Pattaya has lost appeal and will spent life in jail.

BANGKOK: --  A DJ will serve two life sentences in jail for possessing 61 ecstasy pills in the Thai beach city of Pattaya after losing an appeal to have the term reduced.

Jake Mastroianni, 26, will be kept in Bangkok’s notorious Klong Prem jail in Bangkok where up to 30 prisoners share cells in conditions described as harsh.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/world-news/231396/australian-brit-jailed-life-thailand/

For Thai authorities involved with ruining that young man's life:  One word:  DISGUSTING.

There are other factors.   Thai authorities know that catching a farang can mean a BIG PAY-OFF.  Farang have proven hundreds of times that, if they need to drum up get-out-of-jail money, they can.  Same for stuck-in-jail money, re; better food and modest favors.   A farang caught breaking the law in Thailand has a big flashing neon sign on his chest saying (to Thai authorities):  HERE IS DESPERATE FARANG - WILL PAY ANYTHING TO GET OUT !!!

p.s.  I met a nice humble young Brit in Thailand. I found out later he had been a target of a sting operation.  Another farang (an Austrian, working with cops) went up to the Brit to ask where to get a false passport.  The Brit unwittingly said, "maybe at that photo shop" and walked the Austrian there.  Cops arrested the Brit.  It cost him Bt.200k to get free.   Conclusion:  There's ALWAYS a money connection to any farang who's involved with illegal activity in Thailand, whether the charge is contrived or real.  On a smaller scale, it can happen with tossing a cig butt on a sidewalk.  Instant Bt.2000 for attending authorities. Some stories relate that there was no cig butt tossed by the non-smoking farang.

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Deal hard drugs.  Should be executed.  Now before you jump on me.  Think of how you'd feel if one of your children got addicted or died from his drugs.  That's what I thought...

Like they do with alcohol, tobacco, and prescription drugs? 

24 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

For 61 ecstasy pills sentenced to two life terms in jail.
That's far over the top.
Wonder whether all comparable drug traffickers, whether be thai or foreigners, who got such harsh sentences in the past?

It's all down to the Schedule of MDMA, which falls under the umbrella of Amphetamines and is surprisingly treated more seriously than Cocaine:

The quick overview: http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

The full act: http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/english/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Narcotics-Act-B.E.2522.pdf

The pertinent aspects:

Section 66 
Any person who disposes of or possesses for disposal narcotics of category I
without permission and in quantity computed to be pure substances, or in number of used dosage, or in
net weight, that does not reach the quantity prescribed in Section 15 paragraph three, shall be liable to
imprisonment for a term of four to fifteen years, or to a fine of eighty thousand to three hundred thousand
baht, or to both.

If the narcotics under paragraph one is in quantity computed to be pure substances of the
quantity prescribed in Section 15 paragraph three, but not over twenty grams, the offender shall be liable
to imprisonment for a term of four years to life and to a fine of four hundred thousand to five million Baht.

If the narcotics under paragraph one is in quantity computed to be pure substances of the
quantity over twenty grams, the offender shall be liable to imprisonment for life and to a fine of one million
to five million baht, or death penalty.

Section 15
(2)Amphetamine or derivative amphetamine is of the quantity computed to be pure substances of three hundred seventy five milligrams or more or is of narcotics substances thereof of fifty doses or more or is of pure weight of one point five grams or more.
(3)Narcotics of category I unless (1) and (2) is of the quantity computed to be pure substances of three grams or more.

The guy had > 50 doses of Category I, and since he pled not guilty, he got the maximum sentence rather than the 'discounted' sentence that the other guy got, of only fifty years...

If it were 61 grams of Cocaine (Cat 2), there would have been a maximum of 20 years. If the lawyer was decent enough to reduce the charges to possession (which is possible for < 100g), it would be a max of 5.

• Up to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of 20,000 – 200,000 Baht or both for disposal or possession for the purpose of disposal. In the case of morphine, opium or cocaine, 3-20 years or a fine of 60,000 – 400,000 Baht if the amount is under 100 grams, or 3-20 years or a fine of 500,000 – 5,000,000 Baht if over
  • Up to 5 years or a fine not exceeding 100,000 Baht or both for possession. If the quantity is 100 grams of a pure substance or more, this will be regarded as possession for the purpose of disposal

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

57 minutes ago, epicstuff said:

I grew up in the era of raves in the UK,  I was an avid user   probably heavier than pretty much anyone I knew as I was involved in the business of parties.    I abused it more than I am proud but  after 10 years of constant partying and pill popping  when I got bored &  grew up  I left it behind like it never happened. 

Not too different from me other than i wasn't a promoter i DJ'd. When i was back in the UK last year i went to an old school night that David Morales and Marshal Jefferson were DJing. I took an E for the first time in years. it was BRILLIANT. Just like the Doves on the late 90's

2 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

Not too different from me other than i wasn't a promoter i DJ'd. When i was back in the UK last year i went to an old school night that David Morales and Marshal Jefferson were DJing. I took an E for the first time in years. it was BRILLIANT. Just like the Doves on the late 90's

Ah, real house music :intheclub:

9 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

For Thai authorities involved with ruining that young man's life:  One word:  DISGUSTING.

There are other factors.   Thai authorities know that catching a farang can mean a BIG PAY-OFF.  Farang have proven hundreds of times that, if they need to drum up get-out-of-jail money, they can.  Same for stuck-in-jail money, re; better food and modest favors.   A farang caught breaking the law in Thailand has a big flashing neon sign on his chest saying (to Thai authorities):  HERE IS DESPERATE FARANG - WILL PAY ANYTHING TO GET OUT !!!

p.s.  I met a nice humble young Brit in Thailand. I found out later he had been a target of a sting operation.  Another farang (an Austrian, working with cops) went up to the Brit to ask where to get a false passport.  The Brit unwittingly said, "maybe at that photo shop" and walked the Austrian there.  Cops arrested the Brit.  It cost him Bt.200k to get free.   Conclusion:  There's ALWAYS a money connection to any farang who's involved with illegal activity in Thailand, whether the charge is contrived or real.  On a smaller scale, it can happen with tossing a cig butt on a sidewalk.  Instant Bt.2000 for attending authorities. Some stories relate that there was no cig butt tossed by the non-smoking farang.

Every time i read things like this, i get a bit closer to move, to other country for retire. If Thailand really is like that why take the chance?  Sometimes i really think, Why did i move to Thailand for retirement.

Edited by carstenp

5 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

TRYING TO MAKE ME JEALOUS !!!

British ex-soldier, Aussie DJ face decades in Thai jail for drug dealing

By Asian Correspondent Staff 

BRITON Lance Whitmore and Australian Jake Mastroianni who were sentenced to decades in a Thai jail for drug dealing have lost an appeal to reduce their terms, according to reports.

According to The Age, Mastroianni, a 26-year-old DJ, will serve two life sentences at Bangkok’s notorious Klong Prem jail for possessing 61 ecstasy pills in Pattaya.

Whitmore, a 28-year-old former soldier, on the other hand, was given 50 years’ jail time for possessing 200 pills.

Full story: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/09/british-ex-soldier-aussie-dj-face-decades-thai-jail-drug-dealing/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2016-09-07

4 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Ah, real house music :intheclub:

Totally. I move to Hong Kong on sunday and it looks like i will be getting gigs there once i'm settled. Going to get back into the DJing. We were out on the pop with Morales. He's full on functioning alcoholic but by F can he handle it. His mixing with his custom Rotary was the bes ti have ever seen.

The penalties for dealing drugs here are severe. These guys knew that going in.

Yes the sentences are harsh but they're no more so than they are for Thais caught at the same game.

Why should the courts demonstrate leniency? Because they could be the sons of any of a bunch of Western expats on an anonymous forum?

Just because they weren't perched on a stool at a street bar on Lower Sukhumvit doesn't mean they deserve soft-touch sentencing. 

It's actually refreshing to see the majority of posters on here are sympathetic with the guys and in no way Anti E.

But, and i take no pleasure saying this. The law is the law and each and every one of us know how messed up Thailand's drug laws are. When i have mates over that haven't been, the only real solid advice i give them is, "Don;t mess with gear, i f'kn mean it." 

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

As a clinician in Family Practice for many years, part of that time working in an HIV/AIDS, treatment and research center, I saw the consequences of using "E".  In patients and colleagues, it wasn't pretty.

Thought you got AIDS from taking it in the ass.   Maybe your theory is E makes you gay??? certainly was a lot of gay people enjoying pills at the parties I went to, didnt rub off on me that way though. I was happy to  finger and Kiss girls for 24 hours straight on the stuff!

Edited by epicstuff

2 minutes ago, Franky Bear said:

It's actually refreshing to see the majority of posters on here are sympathetic with the guys and in no way Anti E.

But, and i take no pleasure saying this. The law is the law and each and every one of us know how messed up Thailand's drug laws are. When i have mates over that haven't been, the only real solid advice i give them is, "Don;t mess with gear, i f'kn mean it." 

I tell everyone thinking of coming over - "don't even think about it.

I / we can't help you if you get caught.

And getting caught here will turn your life upside down, make no mistake."

18 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I agree 100% what you saying but tbh isnt it a plus point rather than a minus that if you get caught there are options even if it means lining the pockets of our friends the BIB no way you would have that opportunity in UK, US, etc. In the 13 years of living here iv only ever been fined for something i have done mainly traffic offences but still break the law  and even then its always half of what the actual fine is meant to be which i got no problem with.

Saying that no way i agree with the austrian trying to set somebody up thats just Soi Dog level.

5 minutes ago, NotMyUsualid said:

I tell everyone thinking of coming over - "don't even think about it.

I / we can't help you if you get caught.

And getting caught here will turn your life upside down, make no mistake."

Exactly my words. I can probably get them off with murder with the right money. Drugs. I can't

Australian DJ to serve life sentence in Klong Prem prison for possession of ecstasy

By Coconuts Bangkok 

dj_1.jpg

Photo: Badmouth/ Facebook

BANGKOK: -- An young Australian DJ will serve two consecutive life sentences at the high-security Klong Prem prison in Bangkok while his British friend will serve 50 years over possession of ecstasy.

Jake Mastroianni, 26, a DJ from Victoria, and Lance Whitmore, 28, an ex-soldier from Worcestershire, lost an appeal to have their terms reduced at a Bangkok court yesterday.

In August 2014, Mastroianni was caught with 61 ecstasy pills in Pattaya while Whitmore was caught with 200 pills, according to their lawyer.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/09/07/australian-dj-serve-life-sentence-klong-prem-prison-possession-ecstasy

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-09-07

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

Deal hard drugs.  Should be executed.  Now before you jump on me.  Think of how you'd feel if one of your children got addicted or died from his drugs.  That's what I thought...

Yeah let's execute all those who had tough childhoods themselves and were led astray into a life of using and selling drugs. While the rich kids continue getting their fix from the next sacrificial lamb. Great way to solve the problem.

5 minutes ago, Kawapete said:

If they are truly guilty that's it, everyone knows that long noses get no mercy in cort here. If they on the other hand are set up somehow it's a problem.

I am semi familiar with this case from the start. There is a LOT more to it than this....but, when it boils down, both were caught with E;'s by the cops.

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

To Note: Ecstasy is not a hard drug. It is not physically addicting, does not cause violence (quite the opposite), and has anti-addictant properties which make it more or less worthless to do frequently (doing so destroys half of the effect). It's also not a dangerous drug provided that you drink plenty of water (ecstasy overdoses are not really overdoses, they are people overheating as it tends to raise your body temperature and people often do it while dancing at clubs and don't hydrate properly). 

That having been said, with 60 and 200 pills, they were obviously selling the drug and that has a cost. Life is obviously excessive though.

Edited by jcsmith

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

While we're at it, if you are a bad parent and allow your kids access to hard drugs, you should also be executed. 

32 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

It's all down to the Schedule of MDMA, which falls under the umbrella of Amphetamines and is surprisingly treated more seriously than Cocaine:

True, if looked at from the perspective of US's DEA and Thai drug laws which are dictated by the DEA.

Same for all of SE Asia.

However, the people who make the laws have their heads up their asses.  They simply don't know the effects of the drugs they're criminalizing.  All they have are worst case scenarios from alarmists and people in the pharma/alcohol industries - whose interests it is to keep all rec. drugs illegal except alcohol (for booze dealers).   Most if not all the people who make laws against all rec. drugs other than alcohol are themselves alcohol drinkers.  CONFLICT OF INTEREST!  

If we made laws on other substances based on worst-case scenario, then water would be illegal (yes, people have died from drinking too much water), alcohol would certainly be illegal, so too would MSG (again, people have died from too much MSG).  At least one farang died from too-spicy Thai food.  I jest not.  He had just arrived from Holland, and his gf cooked a Thai meal for him.  He died an hour later.  Should we then outlaw all spicy food in Thailand?   I heard of a woman who died from drinking too much Gator Aide (electrolyte poisoning).  Again, true story.  From that, all energy drinks should be outlawed.  And what about all the hyper-caffeinated drinks everywhere?  A giant Buddha statue is being built near my house.  True story.  I've heard between 15 and 20 workers have died from falling off scaffolding on that project.   All of them had been drinking Red Bull or equivalent.   Connect the dots.