Dual national Thai and Uk passports. Entry and Exit

Hi

I know this topic has been covered in the past but We have an area that we are not too sure of.

On the outward journey my wife 

1. Used UK passport at Airline check in

2. Same for security and boarding at both Newcastle and Dubai

3. Used 1 year expired Passport at Thai immigration at which point told to get a new one Asaph but no problems, thanks for previous advice

Now on the return trip the plan was to

1. Use UK passport at Airline check in

2. Use Thai passport at immigration/security

3. Use UK passport for the rest of the journey.

Is this correct please?

I am guessing at point 1

Thanks

Yes, for the return trip that's correct.

The airline check-in staff need to ensure that your wife is good to enter the UK, so yes her UK passport.

Use her Thai passport to clear Immigration, they seem to be directing Thai passport holders to the machines of late, have the expired to hand if she's got it, probably not vital as many people travel for the first time with a new passport.

And yes, the UK passport for the rest of the journey.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, for the return trip that's correct.

The airline check-in staff need to ensure that your wife is good to enter the UK, so yes her UK passport.

Use her Thai passport to clear Immigration, they seem to be directing Thai passport holders to the machines of late, have the expired to hand if she's got it, probably not vital as many people travel for the first time with a new passport.

And yes, the UK passport for the rest of the journey.

Tks also theoldgit.... my nipper just got his Thai passport before we left UK which we used on entering Thailand... never occurred to me that easier to use his UK one for

check in on the way back to the UK, will save me a bit of time...

Whilst there is no Thai law allowing dual nationality, there is no Thai law forbidding it either.

Arkady explains it in detail here

There is a provision in the Act to allow Thais who obtain another nationality through naturalisation to lose Thai nationality but the wording is ambiguous the interpretation of this to date has been that it is voluntary. There are no clear cut provisions in the Act that allow the revocation of Thai nationality from anyone who obtained it as a result of having one or more Thai parents, whether born in Thailand or abroad...........

The MoFA states clearly on its website that dual nationality is neither expressly allowed or prohibited under Thai law and that whether you can hold dual nationality or not depends only on whether the other country prohibits it or not. It even provides instructions to dual Thai nationals as to how juggle passports when travelling.