Serious prostate cancer diagnosis today.

dblaisde

Not me but a friend, 76, Gleason score grade 8 (pretty serious apparently).

He's looking for a capable surgeon in Bangkok. Apparently there are different surgery techniques (eg cryogenic). He's not internet savvy so I thought I'd post on his behalf here in case others know about treatment options and recommended doctors.

The Wikipedia article on Gleason scores isn't encouraging:

"Tumors with Gleason scores 8-10 tend to be advanced neoplasms that are unlikely to be cured. Although some evidence suggests that prostate cancers will become more aggressive over time, most often Gleason scores remain stable for a few years."

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by dblaisde

Check the pinned Urologist Recommendations at top of forum.  I had a radical cystectomy (cancer confined to bladder) several months ago by Dr. Charuspong Dissaranan at Bangkok Hospital and very happy with both him and surgery (but Bangkok Hospital would not be cheap).  During time I was in hospital his operations were selected for observation by auditing JCI team and he seemed to welcome - very cool.  

Dr. Viroj at Bumrungrad is very good, but care at Bumrungrad, as at BH, will be expensive. What is his situation re insurance?

A Gleason score of 8 means it is an aggressive type of tumor and fast growing. Whether or not it can be cured depends one whether it is still confined to the prostate, has invaded adjacent lymph nodes, or spread to other organs in the body and if so, where (adjacent organs or distant ones like bones, lungs etc). The Gleason score is the "grade", need to know also the "stage".

If it has already spread to distant organs the diagnosis is terminal and palliative care (which is not very good in Thailand) is the usual approach (and best one IMO).  If it has not, and the patient is not very elderly or suffering from other systemic diseases, then aggressive therapy is usually warranted. This may be surgery alone, radiation alone, surgery + radiation, chemotherapy or chemo plus surgery and/or radiation depending on the stage of the cancer.  (With a Gleason of 8 stage could be anywhere from IIB to IVB).

23 hours ago, dblaisde said:

Hi Sheryl--

My friend is quite well off, and fully covered both here and in the US.

I'll try to get info on "the stage" from him.

He's 76 but in good health. (He scubadives daily on Ko Tao).

cheers,

Doug

Recommend second opinion at Loma Linda Medical Center in LA.  Gleason Score is just a part of the picture.  If surgery is required, Proton Beam, done there is the way to go in my opinion.

http://pcri.org/insights-blog/2016/3/10/interpreting-a-pathology-report-15-biopsy-and-gleason-questions-answered-by-a-leading-pathologist

Edited by joeyg

I was treated for prostate cancer by radiation oncologist Dr. Sakpisid Nawasiri at Bangkok Hospital in 2014. My Gleason score was 7 with a PSA of 14.3. Two years later, PSA continually decreased to under 1.0 now and no evidence of spread based on blood tests. I was treated by Image Modulated Radiation Therapy. My Canadian doctor informed me afterward hospitals  in Canada typically treat cancer with the radioactive beads.