Best area for after dark activity

iamkanga

Well the hunt continues for a place to stay. I'm changing tac now. Probably going to stay in a condominium for at least the short-term. 

The difficulty im finding is trying to find an area that has restaurants (thai and farang) and Bars within a relative walking distance, I want to do what I can to stay out of the Phuket Gazette obituary. I am thinking Phuket town is the place to stay but as I have only stayed in Patong in Phuket I am not familiar with the after-hours activities? There also appears to be a lot of accommodation around central festival do these areas have much to offer after dark, as the shopping malls holds little appeal. 

I know to put it differently imagine I am a single middle-aged man who is tired of Patong! But not quite ready to cut Phuket loose yet. I probably ultimately see myself up Pattaya way mainly for the less-expensive golf. But early days for me. 

Anyway I appreciate any suggestions you can offer. 

Cheers Kanga

Forget Phuket Town: it caters mainly to Thais and there isn't much to do for Westerners.

Patong is the nightlife capital of Phuket and where all the action takes place. There are literally hundreds of restaurants, bars and several discos all is within easy reach of wherever you decide to stay. Bangla Road is the main drag for bars and eateries and they close the road to traffic from 7.00 PM. There's also a shopping mall called Jungceylon close to the eastern end of Bangla Road.

If you're looking for an apartment to rent AirBnB has plenty of them in Patong and surrounding areas.

Thanks guys

I rode around Phuket town a couple of hours ago and certainly couldn't see anything to do in the evening that would interest me. Admittedly it was the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday but I did not see too many Chang or Leo signs. 

Rawai looks interesting how does the rental generally compare to something like Patong? Looking for something comfortable about 40 square meters with a decent kitchen. Of course I will look online but it doesn't compare to the knowledge of TV

One of the main problems I seem to have is my champagne taste on a beer budget. I really need to keep it under 15000 closer to 12 really and I have seen places in this budget they are far from flash. And I don't mean I need a 55 inch LCD TV just a comfy sofa and bed and a sort of western in style kitchenette thingy I can cook the odd meal on.
Please feel free to tell me if I am being unrealistic but I am currently staying in a hotel which is more than comfortable they clean my room everyday and change my sheets an towels no electric no water charges for 450 a day it just doesn't have any cooking facilities. But that's why I'm here to find out if what I want is achievable?

Your budget for accommodation is easily doable for Kathu, Chalong, Rawai and other places outside of Patong.

The problem is, your requirement that the night-life should be within walking distance.

Night-life is spread out in patches. You can live near one of these patches, but, it's tiny compared to Patong.

You really would be better off in Pattaya where rents are cheaper and everything is within walking distance.

Edited by KarenBravo

Thanks KarenBravo Pattaya sounds good particularly as I enjoy golf and that is a no go in Phuket $$$ but I am a new arrival and just would like to hang somewhere known for my first 6 months to get a better understanding for the future.

9 hours ago, bokinphuket said:

Hi Kanga, I have a condo in Kathu that may suit your needs if you are still looking. Pm me for info.

Sent from my HTC One M9PLUS using Tapatalk

Thanks Bokinphuket. But lucked in yesterday and found a great place in Patong. Upper end of my price but will be ok for a start! Cheers

2 hours ago, iamkanga said:

Thanks Bokinphuket. But lucked in yesterday and found a great place in Patong. Upper end of my price but will be ok for a start! Cheers

In your OP, you asked for advice about where else to live in Phuket because you were "tired of Patong".

And you finally decide to live where? Sheesh!

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

In your OP, you asked for advice about where else to live in Phuket because you were "tired of Patong".

And you finally decide to live where? Sheesh!

Well unfortunately I couldn't with my limited resources find a more suited option to my circumstances. So given what I know from input here and my own experience I have decided to stay and dabble around the edges of Patong. This is more of a short term solution rather than where I want to be for the big picture. remember I am still finding my way in my new life and things change daily with new information and experience.

But if it makes you feel any better your little tete a tete with NamKangMan has helped form Pattaya as a leading contender for a long term solution.

Thanks again for everyones input

There are a few nice places in Phuket Town but it depends what you are looking for.

There is a great blues cafe and the Timber Hut has good (Thai) live music and is always lively.

But i agree it is more catered for Thais and Expats.

On September 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM, iamkanga said:

Thanks guys

I rode around Phuket town a couple of hours ago and certainly couldn't see anything to do in the evening that would interest me. Admittedly it was the middle of the afternoon on a Sunday but I did not see too many Chang or Leo signs. 

Rawai looks interesting how does the rental generally compare to something like Patong? Looking for something comfortable about 40 square meters with a decent kitchen. Of course I will look online but it doesn't compare to the knowledge of TV

Lots of places for rent at the moment here in Rawai ....

Its a ghost town,  Low season now