Russian-Chinese naval drills start in South China Sea

webfact

Russian-Chinese naval drills start in South China Sea

Eighteen ships and support vessels, 21 aircraft, over 250 marines and 15 units of military equipment are involved in the drills

ZHANJIANG/MOSCOW, September 12. /TASS/. Joint Russian-Chinese naval drills "Sea Cooperation-2016" will start in the South China Sea today, Igor Dygalo, spokesman for the Defense Ministry’s Navy department of information and mass communications, told journalists on Monday.

"The group of Pacific Fleet’s combat ships will take part in the Russian-Chinese naval drills ‘Sea Cooperation-2016" which will take place on September 12-19 in the north-western part of the South China Sea near the shore of the Chinese province Guangdog," Dygalo, Captain 1st rank, said.

Full story: http://tass.com/politics/899178

-- TASS 2016-09-12

From memory wasn't the disputed island awarded to Russia after WW2? That aside hard to follow the strategy here, Russia and China have distrusted each other for decades and were not allies. Now with the tensions being raised by NATO in Europe and the Pivot to Asia they seem to have decided they are stronger to stand together than to fall alone. How does pushing these two together, one with high tech weapon tech and the other with massive industrial manufacture make military sense?

30 minutes ago, Rancid said:

From memory wasn't the disputed island awarded to Russia after WW2? That aside hard to follow the strategy here, Russia and China have distrusted each other for decades and were not allies. Now with the tensions being raised by NATO in Europe and the Pivot to Asia they seem to have decided they are stronger to stand together than to fall alone. How does pushing these two together, one with high tech weapon tech and the other with massive industrial manufacture make military sense?

Imperial Russia was beaten by Japan in 1905 and the USSR only entered the fight against Japan in WW11 when it was almost over as a means to extend its influence.

China was badly beaten, raped and pillaged by Japan prior to WW11 as well as during.

Both have axes to grind against Japan and both resent American influence in the Pacific region and SEA. 

However, Mao and the USSR fell out. Communists tended to be inherently dishonest and judged everyone else the same so never really trust another to start with. Now it's Russia not the USSR and supposedly not a communist state. So perhaps the Chinese see them differently? I doubt that. More a case of my enemy's friend is my friend.

The sides seem to be forming though. Russia, China, N.Korea and a few "satelites" v. American, Japan, S.Korea, UK, the EU and Aussie. That leaves the Middle East, the radical terrorists groups, the Africans and South Americans still to pick sides or watch from the side lines if it kicks off. Nuclear armed India and Pakistan could be interesting.

Hopefully it will be solved by rhetoric and trade deals as money and business trump everything even more these days.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

and some on here thought I was talking out my A&& when I said Russia and China

Russia is everybody's friend today including OPEC their agreement with the US on Syria. China is always looking for some lame leader to give authenticity to his South China Sea claims. In todays mad world you take what you can get.

Nope , not blind just Chinese and proud to be Chinese.

So respect freedom of speech and right of opinion.

You can have goosebumps when you see your fleet sailing past and similarly for me I am filled with pride when I see the Chinese fleet

Don't expect you to fully understand Chinese have a right of opinions ...strange right ?

Bash the communists but when a Chinese have an opinion , that's wrong too just because no one is chanting "USA USA USA "

What's does your freedom of rights really mean ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

26 minutes ago, LawrenceChee said:

You can have goosebumps when you see your fleet sailing past and similarly for me I am filled with pride when I see the Chinese fleet

Don't expect you to fully understand Chinese have a right of opinions ...strange right ?

Bash the communists but when a Chinese have an opinion , that's wrong too just because no one is chanting "USA USA USA "

So it's OK to be American and proud to be American?  You seem to go against that often.

China has no freedom of speech and no right of opinion.  You of all others know this best.

I never have goosebumps when I see military displays.

China is barely communist.  They are 100% capitalists.  Run by a capitalist central government.  Who get very rich.

P.S. I think the Chinese should love their country.  And be proud of it.  It's a great country.  Just behave like a citizen of the global community.  We're all in this together.

Same with Russia.  A fantastic country.  Run by a poor government.  Which seems to be more commonplace now.

So it's OK to be American and proud to be American?  You seem to go against that often.

China has no freedom of speech and no right of opinion.  You of all others know this best.

I never have goosebumps when I see military displays.

China is barely communist.  They are 100% capitalists.  Run by a capitalist central government.  Who get very rich.

P.S. I think the Chinese should love their country.  And be proud of it.  It's a great country.  Just behave like a citizen of the global community.  We're all in this together.

Same with Russia.  A fantastic country.  Run by a poor government.  Which seems to be more commonplace now.

I am against wars ...so if you read my threads carefully it was never about America bashing

China has freedom of speech , we just don't believe in stupid tv shows where people can keep shouting and wanting to be heard ; it's a common misunderstanding but then not living there may always give someone that view that Chinese are oppressed.

Once you have established yourself or perhaps one of your friends have a Chinese spouse , head to one of the dinners there where trusted people share opinions and critique the government like there is no tomorrow ...we just don't believe in the tv or newspaper forum as the only forum and in Asian culture not speaking up does not mean having no opinion , we are just more pensive on who we share this with .

If that's the definition of free speech it's pretty sad as some of the rags published is only worth for the fireplace.

It's a global country and when you have 1.3 billion of your own , it's seems at times there is enough to content with ....

42 minutes ago, LawrenceChee said:

Since he didn't disrespect your right to speak, your post is actually irrelevant in its entirety.

So he was probably right: you are blind.

Edited by Squeegee

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChee said:

I am against wars ...so if you read my threads carefully it was never about America bashing

China has freedom of speech , we just don't believe in stupid tv shows where people can keep shouting and wanting to be heard ; it's a common misunderstanding but then not living there may always give someone that view that Chinese are oppressed.

Once you have established yourself or perhaps one of your friends have a Chinese spouse , head to one of the dinners there where trusted people share opinions and critique the government like there is no tomorrow ...we just don't believe in the tv or newspaper forum as the only forum and in Asian culture not speaking up does not mean having no opinion , we are just more pensive on who we share this with .

If that's the definition of free speech it's pretty sad as some of the rags published is only worth for the fireplace.

It's a global country and when you have 1.3 billion of your own , it's seems at times there is enough to content with ....

Sorry, but there is no freedom of speech in China.  Please, don't try to argue that one.  It's just trolling.  China is almost at the bottom of the list with regards to this:

https://rsf.org/en/china

I've spent only 6 months in China, but enough to know.

Wow ....spending 6 months in China has helped you understand all that is happening on China with regards to freedom of speech ?

Brilliant ....I just did a week in Miami wonder what kind of conclusions I can have of USA ?

This is why Asia and the west rarely have things they agree on ... Concluding China has no freedom is speech is ignorance

Does somebody here work for the CCP? Just curious because we all know that the Chinese never ever misrepresent or lie like the western governments, nor do they censor the internet, newspapers, radio, television or jail those that speak out for freedom, right? Nor would they dare claim what is and never has been theirs, right?

19 minutes ago, LawrenceChee said:

Wow ....spending 6 months in China has helped you understand all that is happening on China with regards to freedom of speech ?

Brilliant ....I just did a week in Miami wonder what kind of conclusions I can have of USA ?

This is why Asia and the west rarely have things they agree on ... Concluding China has no freedom is speech is ignorance

You are trolling.  Sad you are missing this point.  I freely admit the US has many problems.  It'd be good if you admit to this one.

You are trolling.  Sad you are missing this point.  I freely admit the US has many problems.  It'd be good if you admit to this one.

I can't because is not true ....the definition of free speech as mentioned in Google is different from the minds of the Asians

When the Chinese government does something poorly , you will find me saying so in my previous posts. I am a firm believer of that and no I am not CCP as I grew up in NZ and know and can see BS when I see it

The Asian mentality is no mystery shrouded in fog ...we talk less and think more and more selective who we share those thoughts with ....sorry if we are not vocal enough to qualify for free speech definition

13 hours ago, LawrenceChee said:

Well said Lawrence

19 hours ago, Rancid said:

"How does pushing these two together, one with high tech weapon tech and the other with massive industrial manufacture make military sense?"

Yes, but Washington is not actually trying to push Russia and China together, right ?    :)

It's more a case of Russia and China getting together, to try and 'stand up' to Washington. But yeah, Washingon has got itself involved in the Ukraine/Crimea, and is now involved in the South China Sea.  Oh look, Russia and China are getting together to do some military drills.

1 hour ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"How does pushing these two together, one with high tech weapon tech and the other with massive industrial manufacture make military sense?"

Yes, but Washington is not actually trying to push Russia and China together, right ?    :)

It's more a case of Russia and China getting together, to try and 'stand up' to Washington. But yeah, Washingon has got itself involved in the Ukraine/Crimea, and is now involved in the South China Sea.  Oh look, Russia and China are getting together to do some military drills.

Russia and China are trying to stand up to the world with regards to illegal acts they've committed.  One by invading a sovereign country and annexing it's land and the other by building military installations on pristine reefs and keeping countries away from them that actually "own" that area.  Crazy that the West would try to do something about these acts. :lol: