How to "soundproofing" a Condo?

6 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I'm a little skeptical about an adhesive holding up two layers of sheetrock/gypsum/drywall + Green Glue, too, but apparently it's doable and safe?

I used that plasterboard with foam backing to finish several old stone walls in a farmhouse renovation in Europe. It was very cheap and very quick. Two people can easily finish a large room in a day. You apply the adhesive plaster in dabs on the rear of the panel and set it in place. You have about an hour to adjust it. Then it sets like concrete and is almost impossible to remove. If you do try and remove it the plasterboard breaks long before the plaster adhesive does. I also used the same adhesive plaster to  bond the plasterboard panels to each other, with jointing tape of course. And on that I mounted kitchen cupboards and various other heavy things, just using expanding plasterboard wall-plugs as recommended. So I would say that it would easily hold the weight of an extra layer of plasterboard plus glue, especially when used on a firm, flat dry surface such as you would find in a condo.

Obviously it would be wise to clarify it with the manufacturer before starting but I would be very surprised if they said no.

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

And on that I mounted kitchen cupboards and various other heavy things, just using expanding plasterboard wall-plugs as recommended.

That's great testimony to the strength.  I had doubts about the adhesive bonding with a foam backing, but apparently that's fine, too.

I watched a "how to" YouTube video for that adhesive and saw the method of application -- they called it "dot and dab" -- and think a Thai gypsum guy could manage that after watching the video.  With all the shoddy workmanship I've seen by local Thai laborers in renovation work, I've had a couple teams that did excellent drywall/gypsum work.

Thanks for the info.  :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

^^^ Good to know. In the OP's case then it looks like he might need to use some sort of stud system for fixing the first layer of drywall to the brick wall.

Or I wonder if this product exists here:

mPYXBeJ3LEs8qPh6Le8CWvw.jpg

This is plasterboard with a layer of foam attached to it. You can attach that to the existing wall using adhesive plaster http://www.gyproc.ae/products/gyproc-plasterboard-accessories/gyproc-plasterboard-adhesive which you just mix up with water like regular plaster, and could then attach a second layer of plasterboard with green glue and screws. You could use that adhesive to attach a first layer of regular plasterboard, without any foam backing, but that might not allow enough depth for the screws to bite.

It does and not too difficult to find image.jpeg

...now found a webpage of a local company that has various sound damping stuff for wall and tubing insulation:

http://www.topinsulation.com

ZoundBlock seems to be a product close to what I'm looking for, but still unsure if it will steal too much of room volume.

I will post here in the thread again about "further development" in my project.

zoundblock.pdf

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Regrettably you can't get something for nothing, anything effective will take volume and need mass.

The only way to stop sound without losing significant volume is to use noise cancelling technology.

I do not think that any consumer grade room NC technology exists yet.

Mass stops wave energy.  Increase mass, decrease wave energy propagation. Layers of separated mass stop more wave energy propagation than would an equal mass of one layer.