True or AIS for internet TV

lamyai3

Looking for a TV/ internet package that will work well to support streaming (or possibly something like ilikehdtv channel). True, AIS and 3BB all seem to be offering great deals at the moment. Personally the true 30/3 for 999 package looks most promising as it has 4gb mobile data and a bit of TV on English too. Does anyone have experience using the Android set top box True provide, or with AIS playbox to get internet TV?

Also, I'm assuming that download speed is the important one here, not upload? 

There's currently very little English content on AIS. They used to have a lot of the channels from CTH but with their demise these channels are no longer available.

Also I don't beleive the True Box is android, it's a standard CATV system so it's very easy to use. (or it was when I had it at least)

It all depends on what you need, and how that aligns with the promotional packages on offer. No one really knows your TV, internet or mobile requirements.

I use DTAC for mobile (650 baht 8GB+rollover/300 min), TrueVisions for cable TV (Platinum HD, 1/4 share, 800 baht) and AIS (50/10 fiber - 750 baht) for internet and streaming, so a bundle hasn't worked for me. 

I use my AIS Playbox, but usually just for KODI. I love TrueVisions, mostly for sports. The quality (1080) on the AIS Playbox channels is better than TrueVisions (720), where HD is available, but better for Thai TV.

A True package of cable TV, cable internet and mobile data which you describe at 999 baht would be very hard to beat.

Thanks, my requirements are not high, it would be primarily to get English language TV channels, no gaming or big uploads or anything. I've been getting by on about 4gb mobile data with true (prepaid 399bt+) though I have found this too small if I use the phone as a hotspot. The new place I'm living is a modern studio condo near the BTS, it has a TV but only 24 Thai channels, so I'm looking for the best way to get English channels on there - assuming it's straightforward enough, it sounds better and much cheaper to go for a broadband connection and set top box arrangement than to sign up for, say True gold. Both True and AIS have checked their systems and the condo I'm in is one they connect to, and the previous tenant had cable set up with True here.

Your AIS 50/10 is one of the packages I've been considering, as it comes ready to go with the playbox (True doesn't provide an Android set top box). Is the experience with KODI good on this set up - are you able to get consistent reception without buffering? Similarly, with things like Ilikehdtv I'm wondering what kind of download speed I'd actually need. If I'm watching TV, that's likely the only thing I'd likely be using the broadband for at that time, it wouldn't be supplying several devices.

True is copper cable and easy to connect, AIS is fibre and people have said this is faster and better. 3BB also has a 50/10 deal for 700 baht VDSL (though no box provided), and all three companies are competing in a similar price bracket. It would also be possible to start on the cheapest AIS package 15/5 and upgrade the speed and package if necessary. So it's really a question of whether any one of these companies stands out above the others?

Incidentally I've never dealt with internet TV before, my previous places have had both wifi and TV provided so this is the first time I'm setting anything up, hence the newbie questions!

If True Gold has the TV channels you require then that 999 bundle (True Gold TV+30/3 internet+TrueMove H 300 min+2 GB) seems the obvious way to go? Am I missing something?

No clue what channels you require so not sure if KODI would address those needs; given that you can usually find just about anything I'd say yes, with a BIG BUT. There are so many variables (spending time configuring, finding channels, local/international bandwidth, server load, quality[both offered and delivered], and you'll have to invest a lot of time, vs. turning on True with a click.

I would talk to neighbors and see what they're using, and how satisfied they are.

As a reference regarding copper vs fibre; I'm staying in a 1,5 year old Lumpini condo, where I have AIS 50/10 Fibre installed. It's not really a 100% fibre connection though, as the gateway is connected to the phone outlet. It still gets me a very stable (no down time the last 6 months) 50/10 connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you talked with True about possibility of upgrading to Gold package (if those are the channels you want/need) on the 999 baht system?  That might be cost effective.  The True set top box is cable attached to modem and uses card for access to whatever True channels you subscribe for.  

Depends on your set up/what you want........... if you don't watch a lots or don't want to mess about you get FREE over 4,000 channels on http://www.filmon.com/

I have it on my PC, have it on my Smart TV, have it on my Android box.. The only option where I live is TRUE have a constant 13 - 15 Mbps, still the same price [590 baht] as was in 2004 but back then max was 3 Mbps

Yes have also got Kodi [old Xbmc] had it for some years have it on all 3 of the above + on a old laptop...

Buy an Android Box start at under 2,000 baht. Loads and loads of 'how to' on YouTube..  

Myself still years later use the PC to get the build as I want it [just easier I find] then stick it on a USB stick and plug into TV or Android box...  you will need to download Kodi for the device your using 1st and install before  loading the programs.

If you have a tv with an hdmi input and computer or laptop with an hdmi port, you can stream movies and tv shows by internet. I have Chrome browser and Hola app which allows me to view Hulu and Amazon Prime video. The free sites that won't work with Hola, I use Hotspot Shield. My internet is 3BB fiber 590 baht 20/4 package and is more than fast enough. 3BB ran cable over 1 km from the village to our house. Installation was free and with the wireless router deposit of 1500 baht, the first months pre-pay of 590 baht plus vat, the total was 2131.30 baht. 

You mentioned ilikehd. I use a spare laptop linked by an HDMI cable for their UK Basic package for 200 baht a month which gives me BBC including 24 hour BBC News, ITV, Sky News, CNN and Fox News among others. (I do use this in another room on a second tv to the one I use for True, but that is for the convenience of not having to switch cables between the laptop and the True box). That allowed me to watch the England World Cup match on ITV recently and I assume their other qualifying matches will be on BBC or ITV too.

There is a Premium Sports package too for 450 which I use for the PL TV output which comes from Singapore (CTH used to carry it in Thailand but now it isn't available). It shows the matches but I use Channel Mio 102 to watch the pre-and post match chat which True don't show (they only have it in Thai, except for a 30 minute preview). They also have an interesting talk show each day between 19.30 and 21.00 Thai time. I watch the actual matches on True's Super Soccer package for 299, but i also have to take another package too - in my case a 299 Family package. All much cheaper than using a True Gold or Premium package. ilikehd has had some streaming problems in the last few months but it appears to be more stable at the moment.

all you need is 3 Meg.  You dont need any Android boxes........you can get everything online on your computer, obviously you need to have a computer..........

I had 3BB and it all worked well, but owner of house I am renting wanted it in other property.

Changed to True Fiber 30 Meg at 799 a month, and the internet tv did not stream.............eventually sorted, and this was due to ROUTING PROBLEMS.......whatever that is, but they fixed it, no problems since.

I watch everything on KODI, and 365sport, and I also use ILIKEHDPLUS sometimes.

By getting VPNUK you can watch all UK normal tv on the various channels online players........also record on BBC I Player

365 sport is a grand a month, but well worth it with 26 channels and seven day catch up, and it works fantastic

if you need any advice on any of this, let me know

Hi, I have the true gold package, fibre optics to my house, internet with wireless router( limitless download time) TV, mobile phone sim and home phone with very good download speed, gold package gives you many HD English movies, TV shows, doco's BBC, CNN, big selection of sports channels, too many to list. I chose this package being an Aussie,  because it gives me an Australian channel as well. A good option with this is that a few of the movies are dubbed in Thai, however, with a press of a button you can change languages to English. This package is not cheap, 2,500 per month. Suits my needs.

Cheers

11 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

If True Gold has the TV channels you require then that 999 bundle (True Gold TV+30/3 internet+TrueMove H 300 min+2 GB) seems the obvious way to go? Am I missing something?

It seems True Gold is only available in the most expensive packages they have, it jumps up to 2599 per month to include gold. The package available at the 799/999 price is True extra, which only has a minimal amount of channels in English available. No question I'd opt for True gold if it was cheaper, but since very fast broadband is so affordable right now it seems to make more sense to use this as a basis for streaming. Incidentally, True has just come out with another package, 50/10 for 899 including a 0.5gb sim (which would obviously need some topping) so there's some great deals on offer right now. 

I have True cable internet which includes 30/3 internet, basic Thai TV channels and a SIM card with 150 minutes that I never use. I supplement that with my laptop connected to the TV and a wireless mouse and get my UK TV channels that way. Expat TV could be loaded on that or a separate Android box used.  I also use Kodi with a few video add-ons to get some TV series and films and sports on demand. The True internet speed is mostly sufficient although it lets me down at busy times (when EPL is on!). Sometimes it lets me down and switching in a VPN seems to improve things, others nothing I can do. I get an impression talking to others, 3BB service is better in my area. The True TV provides a lot of Thai channels in HD that keep the Mrs happy, but the packages with more English channels, and presumably the EPL, (Gold and Platinum) really bump the price up from my current circa 900 baht/month.

Go for AIS and if the promotion is still on, then it is only 550 baht per month. You will have many English channels like Euro News, DW, NHK, Asia News, France 24 and more still in English but no Al Jazeera, BBC and CNN. There are many sports channels with each appearing double-one in Thai and the other in English. 

14 hours ago, Shatian said:

Go for AIS and if the promotion is still on, then it is only 550 baht per month. You will have many English channels like Euro News, DW, NHK, Asia News, France 24 and more still in English but no Al Jazeera, BBC and CNN. There are many sports channels with each appearing double-one in Thai and the other in English. 

Yes, very tempted. The reception in my lobby told me AIS is fastest. What speed do you find sufficient? They have 15/5, 20/7 and 50/10.

Also, did you find any English entertainment channels on the playbox - in the AIS store they said it was all Thai.

As an aside, how good is the playbox as an android set top box? They do allow you to select the package without the playbox for 150 baht less per month, so after a year you'd have paid 1800 just to rent it... maybe worth doing if it's a high end piece of equipment though. 

New promotion/package/price, note the buy up for add'l channels is much more reasonable.

50/10+TV+mobile = 899

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349

The AIS Playbox is OK, mostly Thai channels with some int'l, video quality is amazing, full HD. It is a budget Android TV box (1GB/8GB) but fine as I got it for free. 

12 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, very tempted. The reception in my lobby told me AIS is fastest. What speed do you find sufficient? They have 15/5, 20/7 and 50/10.

Also, did you find any English entertainment channels on the playbox - in the AIS store they said it was all Thai.

As an aside, how good is the playbox as an android set top box? They do allow you to select the package without the playbox for 150 baht less per month, so after a year you'd have paid 1800 just to rent it... maybe worth doing if it's a high end piece of equipment though. 

I am very sorry that I don't know all those details. But the connection that we have is very fast and effective. The gf did it for me so have little knowledge about it.

On 9/16/2016 at 6:32 AM, jacko45k said:

I have True cable internet which includes 30/3 internet, basic Thai TV channels and a SIM card with 150 minutes that I never use. I supplement that with my laptop connected to the TV and a wireless mouse and get my UK TV channels that way. Expat TV could be loaded on that or a separate Android box used.  I also use Kodi with a few video add-ons to get some TV series and films and sports on demand. The True internet speed is mostly sufficient although it lets me down at busy times (when EPL is on!). Sometimes it lets me down and switching in a VPN seems to improve things, others nothing I can do. I get an impression talking to others, 3BB service is better in my area. The True TV provides a lot of Thai channels in HD that keep the Mrs happy, but the packages with more English channels, and presumably the EPL, (Gold and Platinum) really bump the price up from my current circa 900 baht/month.

I'm on the 799 baht 30/3 package from True. You can add EPL & La Liga (BeIN) for 200 baht a month at your local True office. Dual audio, Full HD, no buffering. 

Archived