How long will an iPad 2 be good for ? IOS updates etc ?

BKKdreaming

Hi

I know the original iPad 1  cannot be updated  anymore and many apps will not work on it , 

when will the same thing happen with the iPad 2 ?

I  wanted to buy one because you can buy them cheap on Ebay for a 3G model 32-64gig , 

I mostly want to use it for facetime , youtube and google chrome , 

If its going to work for another year or 2 that is OK , I will drop it or lose it  by then anyway :)

thanks for your ideas

I don't think it matter so much, an older device not getting the ios10 upgrade can still be used and get new apps if wanted just like an Android device running 5.xx can be used today.

The problem will be speed, the older devices are slower and will perhaps struggle running many newer apps because of that but as mentioned some apps require latest software, but I don't know how many we are talking about? 

I got a Ipad mini2 that is one of the oldest devises they sell but I did get/installed the ios10 yesterday but I don't know for how long it will be supported for? At least I got 10 now on my Mini so hopefully I can use it for 2 more years before a new version is needed. I am very happy with it, uses it a lot out at the patio at my house.

Quote from Macworld:

My iPhone or iPad isn't on the list of compatible devices. What happens to older models? What should I do now?

If your iPad or iPhone isn't on the list above you won't be able to download any further updates to iOS (with the exception of security patches). This isn't the end of the world, and your device will continue to work and run as safely as before - you just won't get to enjoy the new features in iOS 9 (and iOS 10, and so on). Some apps specify a minimum iOS version, but you will probably find your ageing device's processing power limits your choice of apps much more than the fact that you're still on iOS 8, at least for a while.

Now may be the time to upgrade your device. (If so, check out our iPhone buying guide and our iPad buying guide.) But if you don't want to, or can't afford an upgrade, you can quite happily continue to run your iPhone 4, say, or original iPad - assuming you are satisfied with their speed. Don't feel pushed into an upgrade just because your device is no longer supported for iOS updates.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/will-my-ipad-or-iphone-be-able-run-ios-10-upgrade-slow-down-3521184/

My elderly iPhone 4 is stuck at iOS7.  There have been a few apps I tried to install that said they required a later version of iOS, but most of the apps I used installed just fine.  I only used it recently as a back up phone when my lemon Android phone spent months at the Sony Service Center, so it wasn't critical.

12 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

My elderly iPhone 4 is stuck at iOS7.  There have been a few apps I tried to install that said they required a later version of iOS, but most of the apps I used installed just fine.  I only used it recently as a back up phone when my lemon Android phone spent months at the Sony Service Center, so it wasn't critical.

Why is it stuck at iOS 7 ?

Can't you update?

I am running the same OS but I choose to since it does not bog down my speed.

9 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Why is it stuck at iOS 7 ?

Can't you update?

I am running the same OS but I choose to since it does not bog down my speed.

No, like in the OP's concern, it was excluded from further updates to iOS.  iOS 8 was only available for iPhone 4S and later.